Brewer Fanatic

College Basketball 2009

heresrobin
  • Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Extremely heartbreaking. Officiating was weird all day. Must've been 60 free throws attempted, yet "let them play" at other times where there was some obvious contact. To be honest I thought McNeal might've picked up his 5th foul when Nova traveled on their second last possession.

It's obviously great they fought back to make it as close as it was, but from a fan standpoint I'd probably rather they lose by double digits and not invest so much emotionally in the game.

Higgins blew the two looseball fouls against Burke at the end of the game -- he had a right to the ball in both situations. Did anybody else not see the final 40 seconds because of an Emergency Broadcast System test? Of course, it's a weekly test and it pops up at quite possibly the worst possible time.

I think MU's comeback boosts them an extra seed. 8 to 7 or 7 to 6.

Trying to remain objective as possible, I think Marquette deserves probably a 6 seed. If you look at their losses, six of them are to top 20 teams, one to Tennessee who's in, and another to Dayton who's likely in as an at-large. USF was the only bad loss all year. I suppose the committee may knock them down due to the James injury, but honestly worse than a 6 would be undeserving.

If Marquette actually gets a #7 or an #8, I don't want to be the #1 or #2 who has to play them in the 2nd round. Even without James they are still pretty dangerous. But if Matthews and McNeal combine to shoot 5-25 or whatever in the tournament again they will be out pretty quick. They shot just awful all day, if it wasn't for 30+ FT's it would have been a blow out.

Higgins was terrible with the calls today. The two on Burke were absolutely terrible, especially on the rebound that was clearly a jump ball (which MU would have kept), as they came down both with the ball, then the guy pulled him over his back. Just a terrible call.

And then McNeal at the end, there was plenty of contact and a pretty clear foul. 2 shots with a 1 point lead and 15 seconds left, instead they come down and win it. Tough, tough loss. I agree, I'd rather lose by 20 then a buzzer beater, man those hurt.

Both MU and WI seem destined for a buzzer beater of their own, they've both had some really tough losses in the last month or two, we're about due for some payback.

Yes I stayed up and watched the whole thing, now I am incredibly tired this morning.

Its got to be incredibly tough to lose a game like that, especially when Uconn had the last shot to win the game in 4 of the OT's I think.

I will be very interested to see how Cuse does against WV tonight, they have to be pretty drained.

At this point, it's probably best for my health that the 2008-09 Badgers have, at most, one more 'come from ahead' loss left in the season.

Either they need to get better at shooting the 3, or stop forcing up so many of them.

How about Jon Leuer actually playing in crunch time? Tim Jarmusz? Are you kidding me. The reason they blow leads and blow games down the stretch, is that they can't score. Leuer might be the best offensive player on the team. At the very least he's the most talented, get him some freaking experience!

It seems like Marquette and Wisconsin generally get lower than what fans expect/think they deserve. They should get a six but I'm expecting a 7 or 8.

Yep, happens every year. I expect nothing higher than a 7 for Marquette, probably an 8 seed with a matchup against UNC in the second round. Look for a 9 seed for Wiscy with a matchup against Pitt in the 2nd round (if they beat the #8 seed they are matched against, Maryland).

Look for a 9 seed for Wiscy with a matchup against Pitt in the 2nd round (if they beat the #8 seed they are matched against, Maryland).\

I agree it seems that Wisconsin tends to get screwed a little when it comes to seeding, but they are more than likely headed toward an 8/9 game (if not worse), so no matter who they play in the second round they'll be a huge underdog.

Call me crazy, but this strikes me as exactly the type of Wisconsin team that stumbles into the tourney and somehow makes it to the Sweet 16.

Let's see -- Badger Sweet 16 appearances. (Let me qualify this post understanding that seeding is not exact.)

2000 -- We were a 8 seed.

2003 -- We were a 5 seed.

2005 -- We were a 6 seed.

2008 -- We were a 3 seed.

In 2008, we should have made the sweet sixteen as we were the higher seed (should have made the elite eight as well facing a 10 seed, we faced the 11 seed as well, KSU in the second rd.).

In 2005, we were helped to our elite eight position by facing the #10, (NCS 3rd rd) and #14 seeds (Bucknell 2nd rd)

In 2003, we were helped to the Sweet Sixteen by facing #13 Tulsa (2nd rd.).

In 2000, we faced the 9, 4, 1 and 6 seeds in that order...

So it seems to me that in our S16 appearances -- 2003, 2005, 2008 were mostly a result of favorable tourney matchups.

In 2000 -- We finished the season strong, going to the big 10 tourney championship, and went basically the last 2 months of the seasons beating every team that wasn't MSU.

Now, if you are saying -- the Badgers are good enough to win favorable matchups if the chips fall their way -- I agree. I don't think this team is playing well enough to beat a #1 or a #2 seed like the 2000 team was.

This team reminds me of the Badger teams that stumble into the first round, and will get blasted by a major conference team like the 97 team or the 06 team.

Right now Joe Lunardi actually has the Badgers as a 10th seed (playing BYU in KC) and Marquette as a 7th (playing Dayton in Minneapolis).

It's ended up being somewhat of a disappointing year for both teams -- just a down year overall for the Badgers, and the James injury really derailed something that could've been really special for MU. I'm still expecting Marquette to win a game or two, but any hopes of playing in a regional final are probably gone.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the #1 seeds, since Louisville was the only projected first seed to actually make it past their conference tournament semifinals. Maybe Memphis sneaks in there or something?

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Despite what all the pundits say, I don't think the Badgers are a sure thing to make the tournament. Frankly, they don't deserve it. They didn't beat anybody outside the Big 10, and they were 0-4 against the only 2 decent teams in the Big 10. Once again, the Big 10 is highly overrated in the RPI for whatever reason. If Mississippi St. wins today, it could get real interesting.

I'm guessing by only "two decent teams" you mean Purdue and Michigan State? It's pretty much a consensus that the Big 10 is going to get 7 teams (hopefully for Wisconsin's sake). Granted Wisconsin only went 4-7 against the teams likely to make it, but if PSU does then they're record is 6-7 against teams going to the tournament from the B10.

Also, Wisconsin was 0-3 against MSU and Purdue, not that it's really any better than 0-4.

Now, if you are saying -- the Badgers are good enough to win favorable matchups if the chips fall their way -- I agree.

That's more or less what I'm saying- beat our first round matchup, and then having a 13 upset the 4th seed, suddenly we're in the sweet 16.

Archived