Brewer Fanatic

Maddon, Piniella named Managers of the Year

SeriesFinale

Who the heck gave Svuem a 3rd place vote?

I guess I don't hav a big problem with Pinella. The voting was done before the postseason was complete and it isn't like anyone else really made a name for themselves anyways. Who else should have gotten it if it is a regular season award?

I don't know who else you give it to in the NL. They were probably the best in the league on paper at the the start of the season. They finished with the best record in the league. At least he didn't screw up anything. Sometimes that's all you need from a manager.

Hard to argue with Maddon, although Gardenhire deserves a lot of credit. I suppose Ozzie does as well. The Blue Jays turned around once Cito became manager.

Cubs were not a 97 win talent team so I have no problem giving it to them. Deserves it more than say Torre for taking the dodgers to the playoffs when they played under their talent level. I'd have gone with LaRussa mid season but then they came back down to earth.

MOTY is usually awarded more as a team honor anyway, so I really can't say the selections are surprising. While I agree that Piniella is a rather uninspired pick, I can't think who I would say is a better choice in the NL. Maybe Manuel? But I guess that's with the postseason in mind, and I really don't think Manuel was all that incredible. The fact that most managers are so similar makes these choices hard imo.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Was Ned Yost on the ballot? Maybe you could only choose the current Brewers manager and someone wanted to cast a vote for the combination of Yost and Sveum.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I don't know if that's totally fair. If you're going to criticize the manager when the team fails, you need to at least give some credit when they succeed. Yes, they got lucky with some really good young talent, but this wasn't a team with a high payroll like Boston or New York. In fact, given that Tampa plays in the AL East, it's even more of an accomplishment.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I don't criticize the manager just because his team fails (like I said, I think MOTY tends to be a team award). I think Ned Yost was of about the same impact in 2004 as he was in 2008. And fwiw I don't think they got lucky with young talent -- just like I don't think the Brewers have. I agree 100% that the Rays having the season they did in the AL East is incredible. Just goes to show how far talent takes you.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived