Brewer Fanatic

2008 MLB Rookies of the Year: Longoria, Soto

TooLiveBrew

I realize this isn't breaking news anymore, but thought it at least deserved a discussion

MLB.com press release

Longoria received 28 of 28 first-place votes; Soto got 31 of 32 (Joey Votto received the other one). Strangely (& exposing how uninformed sportswriters can actually be), the Reds' Edinson Volquez received three 2d-place votes even though he was not eligible to win the award.

AL Points:

Longoria (TB) - 140

Ramirez (CWS) - 59

Ellsbury (BOS) - 26

Aviles (KC) - 9

Galarraga (DET) - 9

Devine (OAK) - 3

Span (MIN) - 3

Blackburn (MIN) - 1

Chamberlain (NY) - 1

Ziegler (OAK) - 1

NL Points:

Soto (CHC) - 158

Votto (CIN) - 76

Jurrjens (ATL) - 34

Volquez (CIN) - 9 **

Bruce (CIN) - 3

Fukudome (CHC) - 4

Soto is the first Cub honored with the award since pitcher Kerry Wood in 1998, and the first catcher in the NL since the Dodgers' Mike Piazza in 1993.

"I had a huge responsibility with the pitchers," Soto conceded. "Day in and day out, I just prepared the best I could. It was a rollercoaster all season, and everything just happened for the best."

The rookie award caps off a remarkable year for the 25-year-old Puerto Rican native, four months after he'd been elected by fans as the first rookie catcher to start in an All-Star Game.

Soto's power numbers were 47-year highs for Cubs rookies. Billy Williams hit 25 homers and drove in 86 runs while also earning NL Rookie of the Year honors in 1961.

Soto gave heartfelt props to teammate Henry Blanco, thanking the veteran catcher for being "in my corner, like a big brother."

"I owe him a lot of my success," Soto said. "It was huge having him on my side."

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I admit to not knowing much about Soto or Votto's defense. But, since that rarely factors into baseball awards anyways, here's an interesting look:

Soto: .285/.364/.504/.868, 23 HR, 86 RBI, 66 R

Votto: .297/.368/.506/.874, 24 HR, 84 RBI, 69 R

Votto has better numbers in all categories except 2 less RBI (though all the numbers are nearly identical). Not claiming Votto necessarily should have won over Soto, as he probably deserved it since his numbers are more valuable as a catcher, but all year we heard how Soto was far and away the best rookie in the NL when there was another one within the division with numbers just as good. Just sayin'.

I am not Shea Vucinich

That argument has been brought up before Doc and the main point to go along with Sota's bat is that he was a rookie calling pitches for one of the best pitching staffs in all of baseball. I don't think anybody is suprised by the winners (especially in the AL) and the lack of responses in this thread are clear evidence of that.

Archived