Lincecum Claims NL Cy Young / Cliff Lee wins AL Cy Young

fondybrewfan

1. Lincecum

2. Webb

3. Santana

4. Lidge

5. Sabathia

CC got 1 first place vote

Nov. 11, 2008 1:05 p.m. | The balloting was just announced for the National League Cy Young Award and San Francisco's Tim Lincecum won by a wide margin.

CC Sabathia, who had a brilliant 17-start performance after coming to the Brewers in early July from Cleveland, finished fifth in the balloting.

Lincecum garnered 23 of the 32 first-place votes, seven second-place votes and one third to total 137 points in balloting by the Baseball Writers Association of America.

The 24-year-old right-hander was18-5 with a 2.62 ERA and led the NL with a .783 winning percentage and 265 strikeouts. He is the second San Francisco pitcher to win the Cy Young Award, joining 1967 winner Mike McCormick.

Arizona's Brandon Webb was second with four firsts, 15 seconds and eight thirds for 73 points. Webb, the 2006 winner, finished second for the second consecutive year after going 22-7 with a 3.30 ERA.

New York's Johan Santana had four first-place votes and was third with 55 points. Santana went 16-7 and led the NL with a 2.53 ERA and 234 1/3 innings. Philadelphia closer Brad Lidge, who didn't blow a save all year, was next with 10 points. Lidge had a 1.95 ERA and was 41 for 41 in save opportunities during the regular season.

Sabathia grabbed the final first-place vote and also had one second-place vote and one third-place vote for nine points. Sabathia was 11-2 with a 1.65 ERA, with a league-best seven complete games and three shutouts for the Brewers.

Chicago's Ryan Dempster was the only other pitcher to receive votes, getting four third-place votes after going 17-6 with a 1.96 ERA.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/34280929.html

Edit: Link. -PF

I can't figure out why Santana got 4 first place votes. If you vote on ERA and total domination you vote, Lincecum, if you vote on wins you vote for Webb, if you vote on most dominant pitcher regardless of final stats you vote for CC. Not sure why anyone would say Santana deserves a 1st place vote. I guess it doesn't matter, the right guy won

I can't figure out why Santana got 4 first place votes. If you vote on ERA and total domination you vote, Lincecum, if you vote on wins you vote for Webb, if you vote on most dominant pitcher regardless of final stats you vote for CC. Not sure why anyone would say Santana deserves a 1st place vote. I guess it doesn't matter, the right guy won
Remeber, he plays in New York now; the most provincial city in the Universe.

Can't argue with Lincecum. I'm curious to see who wins the AL MVP. I mean, does anyone really deserve it?

Santana got 4 first place votes because he was the best pitcher in the NL last year. Santana was every bit as good as Lincecum and faced harder opposition doing it. Dont' worry the decision for Lee to win it in the AL will be ten times worse than this one though.

I don't sweat these things because they almost never get it right and to be fair this one was extremely close, but to somehow argue that Santana getting 1st place votes is silly is beyond me. The fact that Webb was ahead of Santana is the big joke in all of this.

Santana 234 1/3 IP, 2.53 ERA, .648 OPS against, pitches in a little bit less of a pitchers park

Lincecum ERA 227 IP, 2.62 ERA, .612 OPS against, pitches in NL West which was the weakest division in baseball.

Like I said it is really darn close so I'm not upset one way or the other, I'd have voted for Santana because he isn't in the NL west pretty much. I'm just saying I don't see how anyone can be upset with Santana getting 1st place votes like he only got them for playing in NY or something. Webb is a good bit behind either of them and got 2nd place.

There were really 4 pitchers (5 counting Sabathia from in the NL) who were well ahead of everyone else. Personally, I think I would have voted for Santana all things being equal (home park and competition).

Player ERA IP VORP 1. Cliff Lee 2.54 223.3 75.0 2. Santana 2.53 234.3 73.4 3. Lincecum 2.62 227.0 72.5 4. Halladay 2.78 246.0 71.5 5. Lester 3.21 210.3 58.2 6. Dempster 2.96 206.7 57.5 10. Sheets 3.09 198.3 52.4 11. Sabathia 1.65 130.7 52.2 14. Webb 3.30 226.7 50.8 

(Someone can feel free to make that look sexy)

(sexified --1992)

So what will it take to get Lincecum this offseason to replace Sheets and Sabathia? Hall, Hart, and Gwynn sounds about right to me.

Seriously, though, Lincecum was deserving, which is why I'm kind of surprised by the pick -- usually the writers just give it to the guy with the most wins or base it off reputation. That a 24-year old on one of the league's worst teams gets the recognition he deserves is kind of impressive. I feel good for the guy, too, because he took a ton of abuse by Bochy this year and I like seeing the guy win the award before his arm potentially falls off.

What are the odds that the lone Sabathia vote was cast by a certain Milwaukee beat writer?

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Dont' worry the decision for Lee to win it in the AL will be ten times worse than this one though.
Am I missing something here.... Lee was dominant in the AL all year long. Why doesn't he deserve it?

I see it as close between him and Halladay.

The sad part is, Mr. 62 saves will probably win the award.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Am I missing something here.... Lee was dominant in the AL all year long. Why doesn't he deserve it?

I see it as close between him and Halladay.

The sad part is, Mr. 62 saves will probably win the award.

Halladay faced MUCH tougher competition, .030 OPS on average tougher which is something like 0.45 runs per game.. Halladay had a lower OPS against. Halladay pitched more innings. The had basically the same ERA, the difference is like 1 or maybe 2 ER. I just don't see a good reason for Lee to be picked over Halladay. Granted if say KRod and Webb had won it I would have totally flipped out. If it is Lee or Lincecum they at least got 1 of the top 2 in each bracket unlike say making McLouth a gold glove winner.

Wasn't Shea more of a pitchers' park than AT&T?

Good point. I guess I just think of all West Coast stadiums as being overly pitcher friendly.

In terms of their competition, one would assume Lincecum had it much easier since he was in a worse division. However, Santana had a 0.737 OPS against vs 0.730 for Lincecum. Maybe someone with more stats knowledge can turn that into an average runs per game as Ender did for the AL, but I am guessing its fairly minor.

In any event, as long as both awards go to those top 4 guys in some form, I can't complain. They are clearly a step above the rest of the league.

Community Moderator

I hadn't even considered Halladay, but now that I think of it...

20 wins vs 22 wins

246 IP vs 223 IP

9 CG vs 4 CG

2 SHO vs 2 SHO

2.78 ERA vs 2.54 ERA

1.053 WHIP vs 1.110 ERA

206 K vs 170 K

So the two most important stats for winning the award go to Lee (wins and ERA) and Halladay dominates the stats that actually determine a pitcher's effectiveness.

I'm assuming Haudricourt was the one who gave Sabathia the one first place vote.

I see today that someone gave Dale Sveum a third place vote for MOY. I'm assuming that he was the culprit there as well.

Haudricourt should lose his job over both of those votes!

Archived