Brewer Fanatic

Marlins trade Willingham and Olsen to the Nats for Bonifacio and prospects

Ennder

At first glance, that's not a very overwhelming return for the Marlins, even if they're easily replaceable. Solid deal for the Nats, though...with all the talk about them being players in the free agent market this year, they could end up with a surprisingly solid team next year, like Ennder said.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Wow, I wish we'd have aquired Olsen if Florida was just giving him away.

I take it this Emilio Bonifacio guy is much better than he looks on paper. I couldn't believe the Nats traded Rausch for him, and now this? What am I missing?
I don't get it either. I'm completely mystified how anyone sees this guy as a real player.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

What's even more amazing is that they would deal these guys within their own division.

The 2 prospects were high schoolers out of the 2007 draft and one, Smolinski, has already made it to high A while Dean the pitcher has put up good numbers in rookie ball but he'd have to be Dizzy Dean incarnated to make this a good deal. What a steal for Washington.

As for Bonafacio, he did steal 61 bases one year and kind of projects as a potential leadoff guy, but he's hardly a can't miss guy and does this mean Uggla will be dealt too?

I see this as Fla removing problem players more than rebuilding. Willingham has serious back problems and is a hack in the field, Olsen is one of the biggest jerks in baseball apparently and is the old 'clubhouse cancer. These are just guys that Fla did not want around in the future so they dumped them before they got expensive.

I'd have to know more about the prospects to really judge the deal.

I am waiting for the Marlins to trade major league talent for a player to be conceived later!

Haha. That makes for a good Onion-style article. "In baseball news, the Marlins today traded star shortstop Hanley Ramirez to the Yankees for a player to be named later. That player's proud parents-to-be are expected to have a name picked out any day now."

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Smolinski is from Rockford, IL. He was a high 2nd rounder and has been pretty productive when he's been healthy. The Nats had him listed as one of their top prospects after his first season, one year removed from high school. The Rockford Register Star (rrstar.com) did an article on him yesterday. He hurt his foot at the end of his rookie season and tore his ACL in "a dirty play" to end his year this year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived