Brewer Fanatic

Bruce Seid replaces Jack Zduriencik

phxMILWfan

What I will be most interested to see if the Brewers shift their focus from the East Coast to the West Coast. While they haven't blatantly scouted one area harder than another, if you look at the early picks from the past 5-7 years you'll notice that the team spent a lot of time taking players from New England down to Florida. That may have been purely coincidence based on how the draft board lined up at the time they picked, but Fielder, Weeks, Braun and LaPorta were all drafted from the SE.

Many were led to believe that when the Brewers took over the two California teams as part of the Area Code Games (Seid served as one of the team's coaches), starting during the summer of 2003, that the familiarity of those players would give them an advantage on the California prep talent. I think Cutter Dykstra was the first prominent prep player the Brewers drafted and signed during that time.

Who knows, that shift may have already occurred this past year, as Frederickson, Dykstra, Schafer, Romanski and Komatsu were all taken from California schools.

Anyway, many felt that the position would be addressed from within, so this isn't a surprise at all. I'm happy for both Seid and Mongtomery (who will be Seid's assistant according to the article), and am optimistic the talent drafting machine can continue.

As long as we keep a leg up with our Canadian scouting, I will be happy.

I think there is something to be said for a team being more familiar with one area than another. Different sport, but about a decade ago, the Packers seemed to draft heavy on guys from Florida. It seems like a weird transition to Green Bay, so I would assume that they were just more familiar with these players for some reason.

I don't know if its better or worse to put all your eggs in one basket so to speak. Perhaps it causes you to reach for a player like Rodgers while you have some inside info on a player like Fielder, who some other teams passed on. Again, positives and negatives. I guess we just have to wait to see what direction they go in and the end results.

As long as we keep a leg up with our Canadian scouting, I will be happy.

I think there is something to be said for a team being more familiar with one area than another. Different sport, but about a decade ago, the Packers seemed to draft heavy on guys from Florida. It seems like a weird transition to Green Bay, so I would assume that they were just more familiar with these players for some reason.

I don't know if its better or worse to put all your eggs in one basket so to speak. Perhaps it causes you to reach for a player like Rodgers while you have some inside info on a player like Fielder, who some other teams passed on. Again, positives and negatives. I guess we just have to wait to see what direction they go in and the end results.

If we're talking about Aaron Rodgers, he wasn't a reach. He fell in the laps of the Packers with the 24th pick in the 1st round of the 2005 draft after being a potential #1 pick (which ended up being Alex Smith)

Did Prince fall to #7? It looked like he could be the best of the class after his 2007 season, but since then, I think a number of the players the Brewers passed on are catching up.

But to talk about the topic, congrats to the promoted. Here's to hoping he's a guy area scouts will love to work for and is accepting and appreciative of their opinions and critiques of players. Solid guys at the top will help the guys at the bottom. I don't care where we draft from (East/West Coast) as long as they draft the guys based on where their instincts told them they should be on the draft board.

. Perhaps it causes you to reach for a player like Rodgers while you have some inside info on a player like Fielder, who some other teams passed on.

If we're talking about Aaron Rodgers, he wasn't a reach. He fell in the laps of the Packers with the 24th pick in the 1st round of the 2005 draft after being a potential #1 pick (which ended up being Alex Smith)

I'm guessing this is Mark Rodgers?

Instead of pulling the old thread back up, Tom McNamara has been named the Mariners' scouting director. Tony Blengino will continue to be Jack's right-hand man as his assistant GM.

The Brewers have three crosschecker positions to fill now with McNamara's departure along with Seid and Montgomery being bumped up.

Archived