Brewer Fanatic

Brian Giles

Giles is a guy who fits what the Brewers are looking for - a lefty bat, with good OBP.

While he did veto a trade to Boston last season, he recently explained that he believed Boston would deal him again this winter, and that his playing time likely would have decreased with the Sox, which did not appeal to him. In this article, Giles indicates that he might approve a trade if asked this winter.

Milwaukee should ask.

http://www3.signonsandieg...option-giles-2009/?padres

Yes Melvin should ask about Giles but I think the price to get Giles maybe to high. At a minimum it would be a Hart for Giles trade I would believe to get this done. The Brewers might get someone else back in return but it wouldn't be anything significant.

I thought it was rumored around the deadline last year that Melvin did ask about Brian Giles. I would love to see the Brewers pursue him, as he would be an ideal fit for the Brewers lineup, but I really think Giles is intent on finishing his career with the Padres.

I think w/ him being a great rightfielder, and a lefty bat w/ great on base ability, he would be a very good fit. Here are a few reasons I don't think it would take Corey Hart. First of all, the ages, Giles 38, Hart 26. Second, the contract situations, Giles has 1 year and 11 million after the 2 million trade kicker, and Corey is entering his first year of arby. I also think that Corey Hart is worth a lot more coming off an all-star appearance, and two 20/20 seasons, if you look at his stats, it seems like the end of 2008 is a fluke.

I could see us giving up a Periard/Braddock type pitching prospect and TGJ to get it done, the only thing is I'm not sure Giles would accept a trade to Milwaukee, since we were on his original no trade list.

I think w/ him being a great rightfielder, and a lefty bat w/ great on base ability, he would be a very good fit. Here are a few reasons I don't think it would take Corey Hart. First of all, the ages, Giles 38, Hart 26. Second, the contract situations, Giles has 1 year and 11 million after the 2 million trade kicker, and Corey is entering his first year of arby. I also think that Corey Hart is worth a lot more coming off an all-star appearance, and two 20/20 seasons, if you look at his stats, it seems like the end of 2008 is a fluke.

I could see us giving up a Periard/Braddock type pitching prospect and TGJ to get it done, the only thing is I'm not sure Giles would accept a trade to Milwaukee, since we were on his original no trade list.

The thing about Giles though is that he wants to be playing everyday. If you trade for Giles who sits out? Hart goes to the bench in 2009? Cameron is going to be playing CF almost everyday next year and I don't see Giles accepting a trade to Milwaukee if he is not starting nearly every game.

I don't believe Hart is a CF he could fill in for a couple games here and there but I don't believe Hart defensively would be a good CF. One of Hart or Cameron would have to be traded in order to fit in Giles on the team and I don't see Giles playing CF either. Hart would have to be either traded or be put on the bench for 2009 and become the 4th OF. That doesn't really make any sense at all. Either way Hart would need to be traded in order to make room for Giles.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

out of curiosity, what would it take to get Giles (assuming he'd approve a trade). You'd be getting him for only one year, and his contract goes from $9 million to $11 million. You'd at least get two picks if he left after the season.

Would you deal Hart for him? Would the Pads even want hart, or would we have to dip into the minor league system - perhaps a few good, but not great, prospects. I'm not saying spare parts - Tony Gwynn and Brad Nelson types won't cut it.

Is there any chance that we may be able to pick up Heath Bell? I know most say he is the heir to Trevor Hoffman but Hoffman is going to be closing again next year and it doesn't look like they will even be contending in 2010 so a good closer would be a luxury for them even then, if he is even effective as a closer.

depending on if Melvin thinks Hart's second half was the exception or the rule, I would see if we could trade him for Giles and Bell.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I would like to retract my comment from above about how Giles would be unlikely to move away from the Padres. I guess I didn't realize how serious they were about cutting down their payroll. This isn't just about Peavy and what happened with Hoffman, but I guess the Padres owner is going through a tough time personally (divorce), not to mention the current economic situation. The Padres may have been doing Giles a favor by letting him get his 10-5 rights, and may have to take less in trade to move him elsewhere, as Giles' salary goes from $9 million next year to $11 million if he's traded. Plus, he can veto any trade that comes up, and the Brewers were previously on his limited no-trade list, although that could change given the Brewers postseason appearance.

What would it take? If the Padres can't get the CF they are looking for when Peavy is dealt, Lorenzo Cain comes to mind as a player the Padres may be interested in. I'm sure they would trip over themselves for Escobar, but that's a lot to give for a one-year rental.

I think a deal involving Giles is a "when" instead of an "if" for the Padres, but I have no idea if he'd accept a deal to Milwaukee.

I can't see the Brewers giving the Padres a player like Escobar for a one-year guy - I think Cain might interest San Diego, and I wonder about Gillespie. Perhaps the Brewers could give up a combination of young players to get this done.

The Padres will absolutely deal Peavy, and have already let Hoffman go without a fight - what's the point in keeping Giles around for next season?

The Padres will absolutely deal Peavy, and have already let Hoffman go without a fight - what's the point in keeping Giles around for next season?

Paul Depodesta mentioned in his blog that he thought it was unlikely that Giles would have declined arbitration. Since they wouldn't have been able to get a compensation pick in that case, maybe they figured that the best they could do is try and trade him? Of course, they could have traded him had he accepted arbitration too.

If it takes anything more than a midlevel prospect I wouldnt do it. I'd give up Gwynn and a minor leaguer, but not Cain or Gillespie. If Giles was going to be around for more than a year or was 3 years younger, then yes, but Cain for a year of Giles is too much.

If it takes anything more than a midlevel prospect I wouldnt do it. I'd give up Gwynn and a minor leaguer, but not Cain or Gillespie. If Giles was going to be around for more than a year or was 3 years younger, then yes, but Cain for a year of Giles is too much.

However, Giles will be a Type A free agent (I am assuming) after the year so it would be Giles+draft picks for Cain or Gillespie. I would definitely do Gillespie for Giles.

If we could get him for Gwynn and Gillespie I do it, I'd also be hesitant to move Cain, I love his upside and hope he's ready to be Camerons replacement in 2010. Then you shop Hart and Fielder and take the better offer for pitching, if its for Fielder why can't Hart move to 1st? Are we better with Giles, Hart and pitching from Prince trade or keeping Prince and Hart and exploring other options for pitching?

I'd probably do the deal above of Hart for Giles and Bell, Gamel is the long term right fielder if he doesn't stick at 3rd.

According to Buster Olney, Giles vetoed a deal to oakland as well.

"San Diego nearly dealt Giles to Boston and later to Oakland during the season, and it stands to reason that this winter the Padres will approach Giles about waiving his no-trade rights to facilitate a trade out of San Diego. "

I had heard about the sox, but Giles declining a deal to oakland is news to me. Oakland does have a truckload of outfielders, but I would have to think Giles could start for them, and he would still be in the same state. That makes me think Giles wants to go to a team where he is a lock to start every game he wants to.

1.Giles for Cameron would be ideal. San Diego needs a centerfielder and Cam has a recent history there.

2. Giles and Headley for Hart and Gamel could work too. Like the idea of a switch hitting, young third baseman.

Just love all the trade talk. can't wait for the Winter Meetings. Where are they this year?

I would think Giles would jump at the chance to come to Milwaukee if we traded Hart. To be honest, I think many of you are undervaluing Corey. We would be taking on salary by taking Giles, and giving away a young, combo (power/speed) OF. Somehow, I see us getting Adrian Gonzalez'ed here.

Archived