Brewer Fanatic

2008 Silver Slugger Awards- Congrats to Braun!

nate82

Ranking these by OPS

NL Who should win.

C: Brian McCann

1B: Albert Pujols

2B: Chase Utley

3B: Chipper Jones

SS: Hanley Ramirez

OF: Ryan Ludwick

OF: Matt Holliday

OF: Adam Dunn

Who will win the 2008 Silver Sluggers for the NL

C: Geovany Soto

1B: Albert Pujols

2B: Chase Utley

3B: David Wright

SS: Hanley Ramirez

OF: Ryan Ludwick

OF: Ryan Braun

OF: Matt Holliday

AL who should win

C: Joe Mauer

1B: Kevin Youkilis

2B: Ian Kinsler

3B: Alex Rodriguez

SS: Jhonny Peralta

OF: Carlos Quentin

OF: Josh Hamilton

OF: Nick Markakis

DH: Milton Bradley

AL Who will win

C: Joe Mauer

1B: Kevin Youkilis

2B: Dustin Pedroia

3B: Alex Rodriguez

SS: Derek Jeter

OF: Josh Hamilton

OF: Carlos Quentin

OF: Grady Sizemore

DH: Milton Bradley

Do the who will win sound about right for each league? I believe Braun is deserving of the award but he isn't in the top 3 in using OPS but he is 2nd in slugging though. Braun is deserving but there are other players who are also more deserving than Braun in the OF. The same goes with Hardy at SS. Drew and Ramirez had a better season than Hardy did.

EDIT: Title- PF

Results are in and can be seen here.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Catcher: Joe Mauer, Twins

First base: Justin Morneau, Twins

Second base: Dustin Pedroia, Red Sox

Third base: Alex Rodriguez, Yankees

Shortstop: Derek Jeter, Yankees

Outfield: Josh Hamilton, Rangers

Outfield: Carlos Quentin, White Sox

Outfield: Grady Sizemore, Indians

Designated hitter: Aubrey Huff, Orioles

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Catcher: Brian McCann, Braves

First base: Albert Pujols, Cardinals

Second base: Chase Utley, Phillies

Third base: David Wright, Mets

Shortstop: Hanley Ramirez, Marlins

Outfield: Ryan Braun, Brewers

Outfield: Matt Holliday, Rockies

Outfield: Ryan Ludwick, Cardinals

Pitcher: Carlos Zambrano, Cubs

that's really cool..i know raun wasn't as good as we all hoped last year, but he appears to be a legitimtae superstar...something the brewers appear to have 2-3 of (depending on CC)...that should guarantee a lot more all-star appearances and other cool stuff...especially since braun will be a brewer for like 6 more years

Justin Morneau and Derek Jeter shouldn't have won this year. Youkilis by far was a better 1B and had better numbers than Morneau. Derek Jeter is the antislugger how anyone in their right mind could vote for Jeter is beyond me.

Can't pin these results on the baseball writers -- the silver sluggers are voted on by managers and coaching staffs, and apparently you're not allowed to vote for a player on your team. Since that's the case, it's definitely an honor for Braun to be selected. It shows that he's regarded as a star across the league, and it makes me even happier that the Brewers have him locked up.

Jeter winning the SS award in the AL might just be a product of it being a pretty bad year for AL shortstops (reputation may have something to do with it, too -- this is Jeter's third straight Silver Slugger, and like the Gold Gloves, perception is everything). Even Michael Young had a down year (.284/.339/.402, 96 OPS+), and you could probably argue that Jeter didn't have that bad of an offensive season (.300/.363/.408, 102 OPS+), even though he didn't slug the crap out of the ball. I'm spacing on AL shortstops at the moment, but maybe someone else can provide one that get passed over in favor of Jeter.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Well Pheralta and Michael Young were really the only other viable options in the AL and they really didn't stand out any more than Jeter. So despite my annoyance of anything Jeter he was a fine choice for the award.

Morneau's numbers weren't that much less than Youkilis but Youkilis only played about 125 games or 400 AB's worth at 1b so I can see where voters picked Morneau just based on slightly less numbers but more of a true 1b positioning.

Archived