Brewer Fanatic

Which player would you prefer?

logan82

Without looking up who the player is and disregarding position, which of these players would you prefer? What would be the deciding factors? What other information would you look at after seeing so similar stat lines?

Player A .236/.386/.513/.898

Player B .289/.380/.518/.898

I would pick player A because when he gets a hit, it is more likely to be an extra base hit.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If I knew they were to put up those exact lines, I'd say player B. Those singles over walks add up I would say.

However, if this is a one season sample, player A probably has more upside. He has more power and a better eye at the plate. An marginal increase in his BA will add more value than the same increase in player B. A .236 BA is also slightly more likely to regress to the mean and increase next year.

sbrylski06 wrote:

However, if this is a one season sample, player A probably has more upside. He has more power and a better eye at the plate. A marginal increase in his BA will add more value than the same increase in player B. A .236 BA is also slightly more likely to regress to the mean and increase next year.

That is my thinking behind picking player A. Knowing a players career stats would probably change which player would be picked so I haven't looked them up. I will look up their career stats and post the players at the end of the week. Although I am sure it is easy enough to look up and somebody already knows.

I had been thinking about this type of scenario for about a month. I actually had my mind made up and then went out and found 2 players that had a roughly equal OBP/SLG/OPS line with drastically different BA.

I'd pick player B because the fans of my team would like him more.

No doubt.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

More stats for the players this year.

A/B

H/122/160

2B/23/44

3B/0/1

HR/40/27

BB/122/74

K/164/94

SB/2/2

CS/1/2

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• 2 months later...
Assuming they both have decent BABIP so their lines look to be able to be maintained, player B. The higher BA will lead to more runs, but its a really a fourth order or lower concern.
I'm not really sure I believe this. You could just as easily say the higher ISO of player A will lead to more runs. Never seen a good correlation between runs and average that suggests that it would be true.

• 2 weeks later...
Over the long term for a career, I'd take player A. Those stats are more likely to sustain themselves in the long term.

Now, if we take into account position + defense...

Exactly, you have to look at other factors. If we're in the AL, then Player A is a no brainer for your DH.

Unfortunately when you factor in the position Player B may be an elite CFer and in which case, you would take the slight drop in SLG or OBP for his exceptional defense, while the subpar defense of Player A to the point where he HAS to play DH drops A down a bit.

It's all relative to the actual player. I'm guilty of using this same analogy a lot when discussing with friends but without various other factors it doesn't really hold up.

Archived