Brewer Fanatic

Holliday to Cards?

MLBtraderumors.com states that the Cards have been talking to Colorado about a deal that sends Holliday to St.Louis for Ludwick, Schumaker, and Mitchell Boggs. Then the Cards would sign Holliday to an extension.

This gives me nightmares.

Why? Ludwick posted a .966 OPS last year to Holliday's .947 (.892 on the road.) They can make this deal, sign him to a big extension and I wouldn't shed a tear.

Ludwick was basically a journeyman until at 30 years old he busted out with a big year. Coors or not Holliday has been a premier player for last 3 seasons. I'd give the edge to Cards on this one.

Ken Rosenthal says Cards have offered Ludwick, Schumaker, and prospect Mitchell Boggs. That to me is not a very good deal for either team. Holliday is a step up from Ludwick, but I am not sure how much better he is. Ludwick may not be able to repeat his career year of 08, but with Hollidays road splits I am not so sure that you are getting much better production. From the Rockies perspective, I would want younger players that they can control for a while, esspecially pitchers. To me Boggs is nothing special.

I have to belive that there are better deals out there than this.

I would not worry about the deal. Holliday would be playing a big stadium in STL and Ludwick would get to go have fun at Coors. I think the Rockies get a slight edge in this deal. Schumaker was also a big spark at the top of that lineup. Now they would have Holliday and Pujols and not a lot else. They are still a team that is descending and this trade won't change that.

I think this is a bad move the Cards if they do it. It has been the talk of STL lately, because there is nothing else positive to talk about when it comes to sports here. They are deep in OF right now so they could trade one but they need help in so many other places. Unless Holliday can play 2B, SS, SP and close it isnt that great of a deal for them.

Archived