Brewer Fanatic

New Power 50, Farm Hops, Draft Review

A ton of new stuff hits Brewerfan.net today. We apologize for having everything on the message boards as opposed to the homepage, but some technical difficulties are keeping us from releasing these features in ways we have typically done so in the past.

Don't feel like you have to cram it all down your throat on this gloomy Saturday afternoon in November, but be sure to check out the updated, end-of-season Power 50:

Brewerfan.net Power 50

Also, the Brewerfan.net staff took the time to break down the 2008 minor league season, handing out some hardware while also looking ahead to next year (Toby's initial projection of the 2009 rosters are always fun to look over):

Farm Hops - November 2008

And finally, I was able to wrap up my annual draft recap/draft preview story, taking a peak back at Jack Zduriencik's last draft with the Brewers, while also taking a peak at some of the more intriguing names available for 2009:

2008 Draft Recap/2009 Preview

Please talk about those individual stories in their individual thread. Feel free to use this thread to beat up the Power 50 editors on how much you think we missed the boat on your favorite farmhand.

I'm good with just about everything you guys say...but Bramhall dropping as much as he did when he put up a more than solid season? He is my sleeper pick to click for the coming season...he is just a very smart pitcher, who will be 24 this year...I think he's ready!

Can someone explain why the Brewers are going to play Lawrie at catcher? I know you can never have too much catching, but you have a top prospect at AAA and a top prospect at AA. How is his value any higher there than it would be at 3rd or 2nd where he can play more often? Plus, once Gamel moves either one of those positions will have a quicker path to the majors.

A catcher with an .800 OPS is very good.

A 3B with an .800 OPS not nearly as good.

I do agree, however, that he certainly seems to be more useful at 3B. (Or 2B) I would hope that he catches 3 days a week or so to see how he does, and spends the other days at 2B or 3B.

I would say that you play a prospect where he will have the most value. As seen with LaPorta, a prospect's value isn't neccessarily tied to his future as a Brewer. If the Brewers truly have a problem in 2010-2011 when they have 3 major league quality catchers, they can give Lawrie a season to learn another position in the minors or trade him for a need elsewhere. I also think some are overstating how many games a catcher misses. A young catcher isn't going to only catch 120 games, that's just hyperbole. And it's certainly not realistic to expect a player to start 160 games at another position. The leader for the Brewers this year was Hart with 156, and he probably should have sat some in September if Kapler wasn't hurt.

One of the best ways to have an advantage is to have a superior hitter at catcher. If Lawrie will have the bat as advertised and can stick behind the plate, he will have more value catching 140 games than he would in 15 more games at another position.

A catcher with an .800 OPS is very good.

Catching also takes much more of a toll on your body. An everyday third basemen plays a lot more often. Plus I realize you don't necessarily play people at positions of need, but when you are 4 deep at one position (Lucroy, Salome, Palmisano, Fryer) and zero deep at other positions, why add someone to the one position when he is just as capable of playing the other. Plus an .800 2nd basemen is also very good.

I dont like the idea of playing one position 3 days a week and another position the other 3...i think wherever you play you need to stay there so you can focus on it.

I apologize for not knowing this and I'm just entirely too lazy to research it, but don't our lower levels of the minors use a DH a majority of the time (if not all of it)? If we do use him at catcher, I would venture a guess that he gets days at DH when he's not catching. That at least doesn't take any at bats away from him if they decide he's going to catch full time.

I'd prefer that one of our "top tier" prospects not lose any AB's simply because of the position he plays on the field.

If we do use him at catcher, I would venture a guess that he gets days at DH when he's not catching. That at least doesn't take any at bats away from him if they decide he's going to catch full time.

I am sure he will get his at bats in. My point is that if he might end up playing a different position (2B or 3B) in the future - he would be better served playing 2B or 3B on his days off instead of DH.

I agree with that, but i think its hard to focus on defense when you are going between second and catcher. Second and shortstop is one thing, but catcher is a whole new monster. I;d like to see him playing third base full time, and I'd like to see the Brewers move Taylor Green to second base. They would both have clear paths all the way up to Milwaukee.

Archived