Brewer Fanatic

Kyles named bullpen coach (reply #130), Randolph bench coach, Castro pitching coach, Brad Fischer 3B coach, Sveum hitting coach, Sedar 1B coach

ktown21
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can he be considered anything other than a highly proven and respectable coaching hire?

How can he be considered proven as a pitching coach? He's proven virtually nothing in that role at the major league level, and has very little experience. Is it time for him to get a shot? Probably. But my point was simply that while the Brewers said they were looking for an experienced coach, they then went out and hired a staff that isn't particularly experienced or proven in their roles, and that does include Castro.

Castro's not so experienced being in the dugout with the starters. He's been around them plenty, though. He's a ton more experienced than most everyone in the bigs with relievers. Castro, as the bullpen coach, has been the pitching coach for the relievers. If it's a matter of which half of the staff he spends more game time with, you can argue lack of experience. But he's been working as a pitching coach in the Brewers' bullpen for 17 years.

Since the coaching staff is largely up to the manager, it would have been perfectly reasonable for Macha to pick and hire someone from outside the organization. But if Macha interviewed Bill Castro and thinks he's a good choice, that's good enough for me. I liked Maddux for teaching marginal pitchers how to throw a cutter and make themselves useful, but I don't think he was particularly special otherwise. There were some positives, some negatives, but overall, the pitching coach probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

Late to the party here, but does anyone else find it strange that Melvin had come out and said that they wanted a manager with experience, then they hire a staff that is largely inexperienced at their current roles? Sveum has never been a hitting coach in the majors, Castro was only a pitching coach for a couple of months 6 years ago, and I don't believe Fischer has ever been a 3B coach either.

That's an astute and definitely a fair observation Peavey. It will be interesting to see how they all mesh, or if we may hear stories about too many cooks in the kitchen next season.

Like others, I really like some of the quotes coming out of Macha and others, specifically referencing how Randolph may help a player like Rickie Weeks, and how Randolph may also help Sveum as a hitting coach given his high-OBP skills as a player. If those traits can truly be rubbed off, with the staff emphasizing the right things at this point in time, I'm excited to see what will happen next year.

But my point was simply that while the Brewers said they were looking for an experienced coach, they then went out and hired a staff that isn't particularly experienced or proven in their roles, and that does include Castro.

I think it depends on what you call experience. He has experience in the majors as a coach and with this team in particular. He has a partial year experience as pitching coach after the Stewart debacle.

After seeing the Kyles hire along with the promotions form within in the scouting it looks as though they are rewarding their own for helping turn this team around doesn't it? I don't really mind that. It keeps a certain amount of continuity and rewards good people did well for the organization. It also should help retain and obtain the high caliber staff Milwaukee needs to remain competitive.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived