Brewer Fanatic

Kyles named bullpen coach (reply #130), Randolph bench coach, Castro pitching coach, Brad Fischer 3B coach, Sveum hitting coach, Sedar 1B coach

ktown21
When Maddux came over he was quickly able to take some diamonds in the rough like Davis, Turnbow & Capuano and turn them into solid performers. More recently we haven't seen many examples of that (maybe McClung), plus we've seen many pitchers regress back to their old lame form. Whatever he came with he seems to have lost it. A change of scenery might be just what he needs since he isn't helping us much lately.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When Maddux came over he was quickly able to take some diamonds in the rough like Davis, Turnbow & Capuano and turn them into solid performers.

That was all Castro's coaching from the pen

Maddux then messed them up causing the regression.

I like the Castro pick. If for no other reason then I think a semi young 90 win team can use a little familiarity,(which is why I like svuem pick also) and passing over Castro again would have been a slap. You can't say he isn't well versed in pitching or our pitchers.

Community Moderator
Disregarding 2007, the Brewers have always had at least a decent bullpen as long as I remember, even back to the 1990s. It didn't matter which guys were in there, Castro always seemed to get the most out of them. This is an excellent choice.

Disregarding 2007, the Brewers have always had at least a decent bullpen as long as I remember, even back to the 1990s. It didn't matter which guys were in there, Castro always seemed to get the most out of them. This is an excellent choice.
I thought he should have had the job in 2003.

So Macha and Castro, the guys who almost were in 2003, now take the reins for 2009. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

The Dominican Republic had a team ERA of 2.57 in the 2006 World Baseball Classic when Bill Castro was their pitching coach.

I know ERA is nothing to judge a team by, and that 7 games is a small sample size, but it's a nice fact to look at if you already like the guy and want to be optimistic while wishing him success.

So, congratulations Bill Castro! And here's hoping the Crew has a team ERA of 2.57 in 2009!

I joke of course. But I will take that 2.57 ERA in the 2009 World Series, which would be better than the 2.86 team ERA for the Phillies in the World Series this year.

Well, that's one hell of an insurance policy in case you feel like firing Macha after one year (or less). I guess I don't have much of a problem with the hire, and maybe he can work with the infielders on their defense a bit more. I'd love to see him take Weeks under his wing.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Brenly was a catcher. It wouldn't be a stretch to consider him for the bullpen job. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I like the move of bringing in Randolph. They should make Weeks his special project. I have often thought giving him a mentor might help somewhat. I noticed in David Pinto's defensive stats which are now coming out on Baseball Musings, Weeks didn't do all that badly. Seems like he was around the middle of the pack and Hardy was basically number one at shortstop among the regular SS's. Hmm. Better pitching seems to have improved the middle infield ranges.

I still think Hardy's range is misleading because monst stats don't account for shifts.

Edit: I am surprised that people are happy with a bench coach who is basically the same as Ned Yost.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived