Brewer Fanatic

Kyles named bullpen coach (reply #130), Randolph bench coach, Castro pitching coach, Brad Fischer 3B coach, Sveum hitting coach, Sedar 1B coach

ktown21

I have a good friend who's friends with the family. He coached in Oakland with Macha, as well as with the Madison Muskies(?) and still has a place in Madison. My friend told me he's going to be the Crew's 3rd Base coach this year. I don't know if this is already known around here or not, so I thought I'd pass along some info to everybody. Take it FWIW, I'm not trying to claim to have any inside info or anything. Again, if this has already been talked about then I apologize.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, here's hoping that Sveum's blunt approach will be more effective than Skaalen's soft approach to getting guys to lay off (or at least go the other way with) the outside pitch with more consistency next year.

Amazing. Apparently having played in the major leagues means you're automatically qualified to teach hitting. There are 30 of these jobs in the entire world, and all a guy has to say is: "Hey, I'd rather be the hitting coach this year."

I'm not ruling out the possibility that Dale can succeed at this job, but I'd much rather hear that the Brewers made an extensive search and uncovered someone who has proven at many levels along the chain that he can make ballplayers better hitters with statistical evidence to back the claim.

If Rob Deer can be a hitting instructor, then ____________________________

Is Rob Deer a major league hitting coach?

More importantly has Rob Deer had any success getting major or minor leaguers to improve their hitting? Cause if he has, I'd argue he's more qualified for the Brewers job than Dale Sveum.

Brewer Fever wrote

I'm not ruling out the possibility that Dale can succeed at this job, but I'd much rather hear that the Brewers made an extensive search and uncovered someone who has proven at many levels along the chain that he can make ballplayers better hitters with statistical evidence to back the claim.

I completely agree, but does such a thing exist?

Ouch. Talk about your old boys' club. "We'll keep you on, we'll pay you some handsome salary, you can have the title of 'hitting coach' or something." If the position of Hitting Coach is so unskilled that just anyone can step in and do it, just eliminate the coaching spot and make it part of someone else's duties. Or give it to an intern or something. This smacks of favoritism and unprofessionalism. Very unimpressed. Very disappointed.

Just like that, all the strides we've taken to be more "mid-market" are turned about on us. This is small market, bush league, laughable, silly, embarassing.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

The smart money is on Sveum finishing the 2009 season as pitching coach....
That's one idea, but who really knows? Maybe he'll express an interest in grass, and be named the new Head Groundskeeper. Or maybe he likes to tinker and try to fix stuff. Make him Miller Park's Head of Maintenance. I bet he likes hotdogs -- Director of Concessions!

This just more proof that coaching in professional baseball really doesn't exist. You'd think sooner or later people would realize that teaching is a good thing and that having played in the majors isn't a huge sign you can coach. The NFL has realized this.

The hitting coach has little effect on the hitters anyways. It's a nice way to get Sveum back and his good baseball mind.
I would agree with this. Guys are kind of set in their ways anyway. But maybe Sveum can pound it into certain guys heads to go the other way, something Skaalen couldn't do.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Yes, the impact of hitting coaches is over-rated, but I think they are important in shaping the individual and team approaches to situational hitting; i.e., convincing guys to hit the other way to advance runners, taking more pitches or being more aggressive, shortening your swing with two strikes. Don't care who the coach is as long as he gets them to believe and think about their approach at the plate.

Archived