Brewer Fanatic

Any Chris Capuano News?

PepsiFanClubAlum

What about Capuano? Has anyone heard of his progress...last I heard from a MLB.com article on June 30th was that he should be ready April 1st and would likely start in AAA ball.

"Capuano has one more year of arbitration eligibility remaining, meaning the Brewers, should they decide to tender him a contract before the Dec. 12 deadline, could not cut his 2009 salary by more than 20 percent. Under that scenario, Capuano would cost the team at least $2.8125 million next season, an expense the Brewers might not be willing to pay, considering the low number of pitchers who have undergone a successful second elbow reconstruction. The team could get around that sticking point by outrighting Capuano and making him a free agent. He would then be free to sign a new deal with the Brewers -- or with any other club."

I know it is a reach, but he'll give us every chance to evaluate him, since we are his only shot at $2.8MM of 2009. I don't think we will tender him, but I could see us giving him a strong offer if he is recovering well, $1.2-1.8MM. A 20 start sub 5 ERA might make him a Type A free agent at the end of 2009.

He's unlikely to get a major league deal and it likely will be a minor league deal in the $500 K range. He can go most anywhere for the price but given he seems to really like Milwaukee he most likely will be back and rehabbing in Arizona

I think it's wise to give him a tiny salary with big incentives for starts. We have big holes left by CC and Sheets, but we have enough mediocre depth that Cappy wouldn't be getting playing time unless he's at least decent. I'd be happy to see us pay a couple million for mediocrity if it comes with a lot of starts.

Kerry Wood makes me a believer.
Wood also still has a 96 MPH fastball after his TJ, and more pitches in his arsenal them Cappy. Seems to me like Cappy is going to be a Matty Wise type pitcher, slow fastball slower change up and lives and dies on his location. Personally I think he's done as a starter, but who know...

• 4 weeks later...
Is it possible that the Brewers Non-Tender Capuano?

Not possible, it's virtually certain they'll non-tender him. Otherwise, they couldn't cut his salary more than 20%.

There has been speculation that Capuano could agree to a smaller deal with Milwaukee and not go through arbitration and so wouldn't have to worry about the 20% rule. I doubt that any team is going to throw big money at a rehabbing pitcher right now, so Chris may agree to stick with Milwaukee for a small amount.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Wood also still has a 96 MPH fastball after his TJ, and more pitches in his arsenal them Cappy. Seems to me like Cappy is going to be a Matty Wise type pitcher, slow fastball slower change up and lives and dies on his location. Personally I think he's done as a starter, but who know...
Yeah, but he never was a 96MPH pitcher. Had Wood and Capuano been rehabbing at the same time, I would have bet that Capuano had a better chance of getting back to an 88MPH fastball than Woods getting back to a 96MPH fastball.

Archived