Brewer Fanatic

Fielder and Hart to Tampa idea

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Fielder and Hart to Tampa.

Brewers get Shields and Crawford.

Tampa gets two hitters, including a great lefthanded power hitter. We get a top of the rotation pitcher (with a very friendly contract for the next four years), and two years of a lead off man. Crawford goes to rightfield.

Brewers move Gamel to 1B. Brewers then compliment move by signing Orlando Hudson - 4 years, $9-10 million a year. Go with Branyon or Lamb in a platoon with Hall (who, while we'd love to trade, no one will take because of his $6.8 million salary). Deal Weeks for whatever - prospect, relief pitcher, whatever.

You get a switch hitter in Hudson, a lefthanders in Gamel and Crawford, and a platoon lefty in Branyon or Lamb. Defense gets better, line up more balanced. You can NEVER replace Fielder's power, but it gives you a rotation of Shields, Gallardo, Parra, Bush and Suppan - plus McClung as an extra.

I don't see Fielder being in the plans for the Rays. They already have enough DH guys and a 1B in Pena. The Rays do need a RH batter and they are looking for a RF so Hart does make sense but I doubt they trade Crawford for him. The Brewers and Rays match up rather well as trading partners but I believe the timing is just not right for each team.

Crawford really regressed this year. His average fell and his normally low walk rate stayed the same, so his numbers fell way off. I wouldn't really want him leading off and would prefer to see if Hart rebounds after a couple bad months.

Tampa has pitching to spare - but they are highly unlikely to trade Kazmir, Sheilds, Garza or Price.

Think about it...

They are very young.

They have a loaded farm system yet.

They have every important player returning.

They made it to the World Series.

There really isn't any motivation for them to make any moves. Staying the course is probably their best bet. If anything, you might be able to pry away a minor league pitcher, Sonnanstine or Jackson for Hart.

How much payroll do you think this adds to the Rays? I don't think it would add an immense amount for 2009, certainly not enough to turn it down solely for monetary reasons. I also don't think we should be assuming that the Rays will be afraid to add payroll. Their opening day payroll for their first team was $20M more than it was last year, and that was in 2000. A Tampa team that draws crowds should be able to operate in the $60-$70M payroll.

And if Tampa has $20 m to spend they are better off getting one of the premier sluggers available for $12m a year than trading away pitching to get Fielder. My guess is one of Dunn or Burrell is going to get a contract below his true value.

Archived