Brewer Fanatic

Atlanta Braves as a trading partner?

After reading Baseball Prospectus' Top 11 Prospects article today, I wonder if the Braves wouldnt be willing to unload Gregor Blanco. They claim that Jordan Schafer may be given a chance to be the starting CF for them right out of the gates.

That being said, would anyone like a Hardy for Blanco/Kelly Johnson deal, maybe even a mid range prospect thrown in. That would allow the Brewers to deal Cameron freely to the Yankees for pitching help and not worry about taking Melky Cabrera off of their hands.

The Braves have Yunel Escobar at SS right now so I am not sure I see the need for Hardy. They have Chipper at 3B, but I guess if they trade Johnson they would have an opening at 2B. I don't see Blanco as a great option either as he does not have any power, although he does carry an OPB .100 points higher than his BA

I thought I heard that Larry was moving to 1b to get more playing time out of him.
Then it could make some sense for them because Escobar played some 3rd for them. I just dont think it makes sense for us to trade Hardy unless it is for pitching and good pitching at that.

If you ever see me post a trade proposal involving Hardy its most likely with the thought that he would play 2B for them or possibly even 3b.

Escobar is a far superior SS to Hardy. If the original deal went through it would be to make Hardy their 2B, we get a very nice CF and decent 2B in return, and then you move Cameron to NY for pitching....

You cut salary, fill holes and get pitching...

"the Braves have Yunel Escobar"

But they really want Jake Peavy and it will take Escobar to get him. Peavy is said to be holding up a deal with Atlanta because he thinks it would weaken them too much to give up Escobar. But if they had Hardy to replace Escobar, that's a whole different dynamic.

The Braves can much more afford to give up Johnson, because they can get similar production out of Infante and Prado at 2B.

It might take some tweaking, but I think brewerguy is on to something.

Archived