Brewer Fanatic

what can we expect from Dave Bush in 2009 and beyond?

BREWCREW5
I think he is a good #3. He has been pretty healthy and his delivery leads me to believe that he won't have the health issues that plague so many starters. I see him as a poor man's Maddux. Ignoring April and May he had a really solid year and gave us one heck of a ride during that no hit 'bid.' I think we extend him very soon.
Formerly Andersoc420

This is why I'd offer him to a 3 year/$15-16 million deal this winter. Or some such figure, maybe with a 4th year option for another $8-9 million.

IMO, that offer is too low. I think 4.5-5M is about right for '09 with any sort of success meaning conservatively 6-7M in '10. So, he'd give up a year of FA for about 4M? Taking into account contracts like Suppans and Silvas, I'd think 3yrs/$20M, perhaps with an option year at around 8M is probably more on target. Is he worth it?

I think he is. That's probably the upper range I'd be willing to go for right now.

I'm still curious about how he might succeed in the closer's role...understood he has move value as a solid starter...still wonder if he could be an effective late-inning guy.

I don't know. I don't want my closer letting too many balls in play.

On another topic. Wouldn't Bush be the number 1 recipient of the Brewers improved defense considering how many balls he does allow in play? And wouldn't that make him more likely to repeat last year's fine season.

I think Suppan was the #1 recipient of the Brewers improved defense since he puts a lot of balls in play and is a GB pitcher. Probably why is ERA was so good before he got hurt even though his K/9 and BB/9 weren't abnormal at all. Obviously the defense couldn't help with Suppan's 20 HR allowed in under 80 IP after the injury.

Archived