Brewer Fanatic

Cameron to Yankees yet? Latest: Brewers apparently talking to free-agent CF's (in case); post 147-ish

recte44
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cabrera is better than you guys give him credit for and Cameron wasn't as good as you guys seem to think he was. Cabrera had a very fine season in 2006 at age 21-22. Players that can put up .280/.360/.391 at that age have ability. It's possible playing in that fishbowl wore him down but there's every chance he could return to that form as a Brewer. He's only 24 and younger than Gwynn. It would also open the door for bringing Kapler back to do some platooning with Cabrera.

I'm not a big fan of Cabrera, but as JB points out, he does have some talent, and he should add some "balance" to the lineup. I'll miss Cameron, more for his defense than for his offense, but he still was a solid all-around contributor.

I'm guessing this is why Melvin stumbled yesterday when he was asked who would be his number two hitter. I'm guessing he knew, but couldn't say.

Also, I don't see this move as punting 2009. Moving Cameron is going to give the team quite a bit of salary relief, as it doesn't sound as though the Brewers are on the hook for any money going back to NY (and why would they?). The team just got an additional $7-8 M to play with (depending on what Cabrera signs for) for next year, and that could/should help Melvin add both a starter and a closer via free agency without trading players such as Hardy or Fielder.

Maybe they are clearing Cameron's contract to a get a good left-handed hitter in FA such as Dunn or Abreu.

That would be awesome. I think Hart could be servicable in CF and like someone else said it would increase his value. They could always make a defensive switch late in the game with TGJ (he would be the 5th OF and PR, 25th man on the roster - not advicating him for starter) if they felt Hart was enough of a liability. I would love to add Abreu's bat to the lineup. Weeks leadoff, Hardy 2nd, Prince 3rd, Braun 4th, Abreu 5th, Hart 6th... man that would be a lineup.

From what I read on Fox Sports this morning, it's Cabrera plus "another pitcher that will be determined by how much of Cameron's contract Milwaukee picks up". So it looks like there will be an arm included, just which one depends on how much of his salary Milwaukee pays. Take it for what it's worth.

Cabrera is better than you guys give him credit for and Cameron wasn't as good as you guys seem to think he was.

No, he's not, and no, your constant mutterings about how Cameron strikes out too much aren't true... so tired. Cam was a very good CF last season. Sorry.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Cameron was overrated.

Top-10 CF in MLB for 2008. How in any sense is that overrated?

142 K's in 120 games in nothing to brag about

25 HR in just 125 games certainly is, as is a .951 OPS v. LH pitching

No clutch abilty, trrbl with RISP.

.346 OBP/.443 SLG/.790 OPS w/RISP for 2008. .374/.521/.896 OPS with men on base.

Nowhere near the outfielder he used to be.

Still a top CF defender. The myths march on!

i have been against using hart in center but if it means we added dunn or abreu id do it, and thats a really good point by tigerbrew that playing him there would increase his value. I would take Cabrera as a 4th of. I hope we eat some contract if it allows us to get Kennedy back(and we still sign Dunn or Abreu)

Abeu and Dunn would require multi-year contracts, so I think it would make more sense to deal Hart if 1 of those guys could be signed. Hart would aquire us a better starting pitcher than Cam would, and having a good defensive CF would be of huge importance if we put Dunn or Abreu in LF and move Braun to RF.

An OF of Dunn/Abreu, Hart, Braun would be a return to the caliber of defense we had in 2007.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Would anyone be at all interested in Willy Tavarez for CF since he is going to be non-tendered by Colorado? He had a pretty bad year in 2008 outside of the steals but had a decent year in 2007. I am not saying I am all that interested but if we are serioulsy considering Melky Cabrera for CF next year why not Tavarez? He obviously has less power but it looks like his OBP is atleast on pat with Melky and he has much better speed. I am not sure on the defensive abilities

I want no part of Taveras. Counsell-esque power combined with low OBP skills. Great baserunner & base-stealer, but those skills just aren't valuable enough to outweigh the horrid batting. Iirc Taveras's defense is good.

Archived