Brewer Fanatic

Cameron to Yankees yet? Latest: Brewers apparently talking to free-agent CF's (in case); post 147-ish

recte44
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
http://www.nypost.com/sev...d_move_cabrera_137265.htm

The Yankees New York Yankees have inquired about the availability of Mike Cameron and the Brewers are weighing whether to deal the center fielder.

Brewers officials have been asking around about Melky Cabrera Melky Cabrera , trying to determine why he struggled in 2008. The Yankees are willing to deal Cabrera and pitching to land Cameron.

Earlier this week the Brewers picked up the $10 million 2009 option on Cameron. Nevertheless, Milwaukee believes its lineup is too right-handed plus it needs pitching. Cabrera's numbers as a lefty were not great (.267 with a .361 slugging percentage), but were far better than his stats as a righty. The Yanks also have talked to several teams about Wilson Betemit Wilson Betemit , another switch-hitter like Cabrera who is superior from the left side.

Cabrera, Betemit and a pitcher is probably a package - combined with the savings Milwaukee would receive from moving Cameron's contract - that the Yanks would be willing to move for Cameron.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do people still think Melky has value? he simply is not very good, a 4th OF at best seems to be what i've heard. If we're dealing Cam, we better get something that we can actually use. A Braun/Cabrera/Hart OF would be terrible, IMO.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I am listening to MLB network on XM and they just talked about this. They were mentioning their first thought when the Crew picked up his option was because of a trade, not to retain him. They thought that they Yankees wouldn't even want to give up Melky for Cameron straight up. Ugh, if that's the deal, that is no good.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't see the big deal about Cabrera other than the fact that he's 24. He never really did much in the minors and hasn't developed any power. Don't see the attraction.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yes they'd need to get something better for Cameron. Cabrera as a centerpiece is just bad--he's never been a good hitter in the majors or minors.
I've never understood the national love for Melky. I guess it's just good old fashioned Yankee Hype. I hope he doesn't become a Brewer.

As a 21 year old in 460 major league Ab's Melky Cabrera had a line of .280/.360/.391, and in 122 AAA ab's that year had a 385/.430/.566, so he had at least one good year.

He had a decent 07', w/ a .273/.327/.391, but last year he really dropped off w/ a 249/.301/.341 line. I noticed that his BABIP was down to .271 last year, and you'd have to think that the Yankees might have rushed him a little bit.

I think he is young enough, and has shown enough to be optimistic about, I wouldn't mind the Brewers getting him as one of the players in the deal. If we could somehow get Ian Kennedy and Melky Cabrera for Cameron, which I doubt could happen, I would jump on that in a second.

I wonder if the Brewers could dump Suppan or Bill Hall in the deal.

Melky Cabrera had a huge season in 2006 as a 21 year old. I think that is why there is love for him. If the Brewers got 2006 Melky Cabrera or even the 2007 twenty two year old version and 2007 pre trade Betemit, I think this trade would be a no brainer. A good GM doesn't buy their players at the highest prices. He looks for Bargains. Right now Melky and Betemit are at low prices and the Yanks can't wait around to see if their prices rise.

I would love to see a Cameron for Betemit, Cabrera and decent pitcher deal or like I said if we could do a Cameron and Suppan for Betemit and Cabrera I would definitely do it.

Getting rid of Hall and Cameron would sort of be a salary dump, whcih would be nice if it helps the Brewers sign CC or another high level starting pitcher. I would just hope Brewers fans wouldn't be blinded by the pinstripes and think Melky Cabrera would instantly be some kind of superstar in Milwaukee.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I don't see Kennedy coming back in this deal with Melky and Betemit. I just don't see Cashman giving up a young SP for a one year deal with Cameron. Melky is clearly expendable and Betemit wouldn't be much of a loss for the Yankees. There is some speculation over at btf that Alan Horne would be the pitcher that the Yankees could throw in. That sounds more reasonable from the Yankee viewpoint.

Melky is rumored to be a big partyer that shows up to work dragging after clubbing until the wee hours of the morning. Melky could have just had an awful year, or he might need to refocus his energies on being a professional. His first two years would be better than we could expect from Gwynn. If the Brewers trade for him and don't get much out of him, he's likely to be traded or maybe even non-tendered as he gets into his arby years.

I think Melvin picked up Cameron with the thought that he would be ok with Cameron in CF, but he wasn't sold on this being the best possible solution. If he thinks that Melky can play good defense and get back to being close to a league average hitter, than Melvin would probably like to spend that $10M on pitching if CC doesn't return to the Brewers.

I wonder if Wang is as 'available' as Hughes is. He was disappointed the Yankees didn't want to sign him to a multiyear deal. If the Yankees decide to make a couple big splashes in the FA market, Wang, Hughes, or Kennedy could be traded.

Wang and Cabrera for Cameron and a SP prospect not named Jeffress. Doubtful.

Prince, Cameron, Suppan in exchange for Cabrera, Hughes, and Kennedy... To me, getting rid of Suppan is worth taking less prospects in this deal!
Otherwise send Prince and Cameron in exchange for Cabrera, Hughes, Kennedy and prospect!

With the added pitching and savings, we could then offer big on Teixeira to play 1B if Sabathia doesn't stay!

The way I see it, if we are already offering Sabathia 20M per year for 5 years, plus the savings of 10M for Cameron, 12.5M for Suppan, and at least 7M (Arby) for Prince, we could meet any asking price for Teixeira! In my opinion, it would be money better spent, with less risk, than on a pitcher (Sabathia)! Please know that I would love to see Sabathia stay but it does scare me to death with the $$$ being offered!

I'm not interested in any of the Yankees guys mentioned.

Wang is ok, but nothing special. Put him on the Brewers and he's not winning 18+ games.

Cabrera and Kennedy are just names we know because of the Yankee hype machine. If they played for Kansas City, 95% of baseball fans outside of Missouri would never have even heard of them.

Hughes does have some legitimate stuff when healthy, and may still, but the Brewers would have be sure that whatever was ailing him last season is ok. I'd still have some interest, but not as the marquee player in a Prince trade.

I live in New York so I see plenty of Melky Cabrera and I want no part of him. The guy cant hit and doesnt walk nearly enough. His defense isnt so good either so lets just keep Cameron and get draft picks for him after next season.

The more I think about it the more I like this idea. Unless a major arm or prospect was included like Kennedy I would have to take a flier and wait till next year. If Cameron would not have missed the first the first 25 games Cameron would have probably hit 30 bombs, stolen 20 bases and had a .800 OPS while playing the best Centerfield the Brewers have had since I don't even know. That is worth alot on any trade market. If he has another season like last year I bet he is considered a type A free agent at season's end.

Wang is definitely better than ok. He's been above league-average every year of his career. A number two starter at worst. Only thing is he is a big time ground ball pitcher, which is not a good mix with the Brewers' bad infield defense.

And the 4/5 starters comment, I don't even know how many 4/5 starters the Brewers have. I think Suppan, Villanueva (if he's starting), McClung are worse than 4/5 guys.

Archived