Brewer Fanatic

Oliver Perez

nate82

I don't believe the Brewers should pursue Perez at all. He is a lefty and he would be a good bridge between Parra and Bush or between Bush and Suppan if you want to separate the lefties. I don't believe the Brewers should pay the amount of money and years it would take to get Perez though.

Some fun reading about what Boras thinks about his client Perez though. The Book on Boras Clients.

My favorite quote from the linked article.

"Chapter Three is entitled: "PEREZ IS ONE OF BASEBALL'S TOP 5 LEFT-HANDED STARTING PITCHERS." It puts Perez in a grouping with CC Sabathia, Cole Hamels, Ted Lilly and Johan Santana"

"Chapter Three is entitled: "PEREZ IS ONE OF BASEBALL'S TOP 5 LEFT-HANDED STARTING PITCHERS." It puts Perez in a grouping with CC Sabathia, Cole Hamels, Ted Lilly and Johan Santana"
Ted Lilly? I might put Oliver Perez in the same category as Ted Lilly, but neither of them with Sabathia, Hamels or Santana. Not even close.

I could not believe Lilly or Perez would be in the top 5 for LH SP so I decided to check it out. After the top three, Johan, CC and Hamels there really is a huge drop off. Just looking at WHIP and ERA and other random stats the next group includes Lilly, Perez, Lester, Cliff Lee, Danks, Joe Saunders, Paul Maholm, and even the ageless Randy Johnson. There are some young guys like Liriano, Price and Kershaw. Really though who out of that list jumps out at you? Lester, Danks, and Cliff Lee have shown they could be near top end guys but they don't seem to have the same stuff as a CC or Johan but I could be wrong.

All that being said, I think Perez could get a really nice deal because stacks up okay with the next tier of LHP.

Not the end all-be-all but Perez's FIP the last 3 years:

5.61, 4.35, 4.67.

The above suggests a 2009 ERA projection of around 4.5. That makes him around league average and worth around $10 mil a year. Crazy how much a league average player commands these days, huh?

I haven't really gone in depth on this but is Parra that much worse numbers wise than Perez? I realize Manny has very little time in but he seems like he would be more likely to substantially improve than Perez.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I haven't really gone in depth on this but is Parra that much worse numbers wise than Perez? I realize Manny has very little time in but he seems like he would be more likely to substantially improve than Perez.
Perez had better overall numbers but not by a ton. Perez gave up less hits than Parra but Parra walked fewer guys. Perez walked over a batter every two innings which is not good. Perez's whip was better but I think that mainly had to do with Parra fatiguing down the stretch. I think Parra is poised to put up better numbers next year. Perez does fall in the middle of the pack though in what is a weak group of left-handed pitching in the majors.

• 1 month later...
Just thought I'd pull this thread out of mothballs, considering CC is now gone. Anyone think there is any chance of Perez ending up in a Brewer uniform? Personally, while he isn't CC, I think he would probably step in immediatly as the #2 behind Gallardo. He's always been a guy who has intrigued me with his potential.

Yeah, I'd be interested. He is a Boras client, I believe, and I'd bet he gets at least a 4 year deal. Now that CC and Lowe are (probably) off the table, I prefer Perez to any other free agent pitcher other than Sheets.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I liked the idea of adding Perez, but not at the cost he is going to command. Throw in on top of that the loss of draft picks for the Type A status and then it's a definite no-go.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

Archived