Brewer Fanatic

BA: Team-by-Team Top Prospects

colbyjack
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we are so willing to have Hardy/Escobar playing 3B/SS. What would it matter which of the two plays the listed positions, but were switched around. The offense would be the same. Would putting Escobar at 3B be that huge of a waste of his athletecism?

I think putting him at 3B would allow Hardy to play further up the middle, getting many of the balls that Weeks often fails to get.

And then if Hardy does move on, if we can't get him signed to a long term contract, we slide Escobar back over to SS.

Also, I am hypothesizing this not for the '09 season, but for next season at the earliest.

well here the problem we'd be wasting escobars range by putting him at third. range at third base isn't derived from a players speed it's derived from having quick reactions. by putting him there you'd be wasting his speed. However jj's ability at short are a result of his quick reactions he also has below average speed for the position. now this his quick reactions he most likely would be an above average defensive third baseman while i think we call can agree he'll never be on escobars level defensively for the simple reason there's just more balls that escobar can get to then he can. That being said jj is still a great defensive short stop he just doesn't have the same physical tools as escobar.

So it all boils down to Hardy being a top 5 shortstop, or being a top 10 third baseman? Is the pay really that different as long as his offense stays the same? Is it a point of pride thing? Will Escobar at short, combined with Hardy's skills make JJ a Gold Glover which could then get him even more money (something I doubt he would get at short)?

I really fail to see the problem in having Hardy move over and have Escobar man short as long as they both hit like they can. It can't be a money thing as it seems like guys are being paid for their hitting ability rather than what they do with the glove as long as they are competent with it. I say pull the trigger and get Escobar at short whenever he is up for good.

OK, what exactly is "Secondary Average"?

(TB - H + BB + SB - CS) / AB

Not that I'm up on every baseball stat, but I never heard of it. I like it thought. It appears that it's trying to measure the players ability to get into scoring position. I'm not sure why it adds walks though.

Its really just a quick number to address all the skills a player has not covered by BA. So TB-H gives you power, BB gives you on base ability and SB-CS givers you speed/baserunning.

My way of explaining it, when someone asks, is it tells you what kind of .260 hitter that .260 hitter is. A .260 hitter who gets on base with singles or one that gets a good share of walks and steals bases as well. That turns a .260 avg. hitter into, say, someone with a .340+ secondary average.

Ok, so for anyone (like me) who was wondering just how good Escobar's defense is, the BA link Casey provided on Escobar fills in some gaps:

"With all the young talent and the huge offensive years from LaPorta and Gamel, scouts and managers who watched Huntsville last season often came away saying the same thing: the team's best prospect is Alcides Escobar.

"He can do it all in the field," said one scout. "He could play in the major leagues right now at shortstop if given the chance. He's got that looseness where everything comes easy for him at shortstop."

Escobar should immediately become one of the game's best defensive shortstops in baseball once he establishes himself as a starter in Milwaukee. His hands, range, anticipation, instincts, first-step and arm are all outstanding, and there are few in the game who can match his defensive tools.

And a bit more on his offense:

As a 21-year-old last year, Escobar hit .328/.363/.438 in 131 games with Hunstville. His offensive performance in 2008 was heavily driven by his batting average, which ranked third in the Southern League thanks to his speed, his ability to cover the plate and, perhaps, a bit of good fortune. Escobar is an aggressive hitter and, though he added some strength, his power is still below-average.

That combination could lead to some initial offensive struggles in the big leagues, but if he can merely tread water offensively, his fielding could save enough runs to provide substantial value at shortstop, even with an OBP in the low .300s.

"I don't know how he's going to react hitting, but guys can struggle in their first year and then come around," said the scout. "He's going to be a .250-.260 hitter and, as he matures and understands the strike zone, he'll get better. He's not going to have any power to start, but he's going to put the barrel of the bat on the ball. Most of the Latin ballplayers have to go through this process. They learn, they understand what their strengths are and they become better hitters afterwards."

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived