Brewer Fanatic

BA: Team-by-Team Top Prospects

colbyjack
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well at least BA thinks Hardy and Fielder will sign deals into their FA years... I wonder what their 2008 lineup for the Brewers was.. it's my least favorite feature on the site, because it's so inaccurate. I do like their top prospects of the last decade though, Neugy... what could have been.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The chat was not that bad although there are some things on there that just don't make sense. Tom said R.J. Seidel had a solid year at West Virginia. I thought R.J. was one of the bigger disappointments last year. Tom also seemed really high on Michael Brantley saying he would see time in the majors this year. While that could happen I just don't see it. Where would he play for the Indians?

I still think Sizemore would move to a corner spot, he hits well enough to do so.

I agree about Seidel

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brantley doesn't profile anywhere other than CF unless he finds a power stroke and Sizemore is such a stud he has flexibility. I'm not saying that's the way Cleveland will do it, I'm just saying it's plausible, and I have hard time understanding why people think Brantley and Sizemore can't co-exist.

If Cleveland thinks Brantley makes the team better, he's going to play, and I doubt he'll play in a corner spot, but he may play in LF and Sizemore in CF. IIRC Brantley doesn't have the arm for the RF though, so it's LF or CF for him . Also, Sizemore would instantly be one of if not the best defensive corner OF in the game so that position would be upgraded defensively. I guess what I'm trying to say it is all comes down to what Cleveland feels his potential and skill set best fit. If they think he'll become an above average CF I don't see the risk in the move, Sizemore isn't going to be around forever. The Brewers played Brantley out of position for years, I hope the Indians don't make the same mistake, putting a square peg into a round hole.

If Brantley cracks the lineup in 2009 it will be interesting to see what the Indians are thinking because Sizemore has a very team friendly deal through '11 with a club option for '12.

Oh how I wish real life was like OOTP 8 where I could trade Sheets and Hall for Sabathia and Sizemore every time I started a Brewer's sim.

- Plato

- Plato

Brantley doesn't profile anywhere other than CF unless he finds a power stroke and Sizemore is such a stud he has flexibility.

Actually, Brantley has major questions about his defense in CF. Just because he doesn't profile to hit like a corner OF doesn't mean he can't play there, and the Indians are the perfect team for him to find a place in LF since they do receive above average contributions offensively from Sizemore.

Brantley and Sizemore definitely can co-exist, but why get cute trying to pigeon hole who fits best where offensively vs. defensively?

And I think it is unfair to say that the Brewers played Brantley out of position for years. The scouting reports certainly don't suggest that.

Brantley doesn't profile anywhere other than CF unless he finds a power stroke and Sizemore is such a stud he has flexibility.

My point is, if Sizemore is a better defensive CF than Brantley (and he is) why would you move Brantley to CF just because he profiles there and Sizemore has the bat to move to a corner spot? All you're really doing is making your defense worse.

Unless Tom H knows more about the minors than he does about the majors, I have serious doubts about anything that uses his opinion as a basis for their analysis. If he does know more about the minors, then maybe we should get a competent reporter to cover the MLB team and let him cover the minors. I would love to get more coverage of the minor leagues from our Milwaukee paper.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Jim Callis does a nice job tackling the Andrus vs. Escobar question in yesterday's edition of Ask BA:

A few years down the road, would you rather have Elvis Andrus (Braves) or Alcides Escobar (Brewers)? Is there any other shortstop that you would put in their class? Would Jose Reyes be a valid comparison for either of them?

Zach Ellenthal

Wilton, Conn.

I'd rather have Escobar, though there's not a big difference between the two. They're similar offensive players, with Escobar having more power and Andrus being a better basestealer. They're both very good defenders, with Escobar maybe rating a slight edge. Andrus is nearly two years younger than Escobar and they've both made it to Double-A at this point, so Andrus may have more room for improvement. Then again, Escobar is still very young at 22.

When I put together my personal Top 50 Prospects list for the 2009 Prospect Handbook, I listed two shortstops ahead of Escobar (No. 27) and Andrus (who didn't make my cut, and in retrospect I may regret that decision). I put the Rays' Tim Beckham at No. 11 and the White Sox' Gordon Beckham at No. 23. Tim Beckham is a shortstop in the traditional mold like Escobar and Andrus, and I think he'll be more of an offensive threat than they will, especially in the power department. Gordon Beckham has more pop than any of them, though he's more of an average defender than a plus with the glove.

I wouldn't compare Andrus or Escobar to Reyes, who debuted in the majors the day before he turned 20. He has more dynamic speed and significantly more strength. If Andrus and Escobar continue to develop, you could dream that they could become the second coming of Reyes, but that's not too realistic.

John Sickels discusses Cole Gillespie in this link -- the Gillespie text is pasted below:

Cole Gillespie, OF, Milwaukee Brewers

Bats: R Throws: R HT: 6-1 WT: 205 DOB: June 20, 1984

Gillespie was a third round pick in 2006, out of Oregon State. He's been quietly solid as a pro, producing moderate power with a high walk rate and double-digit steals, despite tools that scouts rate as just average. He posted a +14 percent OPS in the Southern League last year, good but not excellent. More impressive was his .418 Secondary Average, showing a broad range of production beyond his batting average. He lacks the speed for center and the arm for right, but he's acceptable in left field. Scouts like his leadership skills and work ethic. I think he's a Jason Bay type; a guy who scouts often overlook, but who always performs to the best of his ability and will sneak up on us someday. His main limiting feature is age: at 25 he doesn't have a lot of room to grow, but his skills are strong and he should not be underestimated. Grade C+ but a guy I like a lot.

Baseball America's top 10

1. Alcides Escobar, ss

2. Mat Gamel, 3b

3. Brett Lawrie, c/3b

4. Jeremy Jeffress, rhp

5. Angel Salome, c

6. Lorenzo Cain, of

7. Cutter Dykstra, of

8. Taylor Green 3b

9. Cole Gillespie, of

10. Jonathan Lucroy, c

Brewerfan.net Fan Poll Top Ten

1. Mat Gamel - 3B

2. Alcides Escobar - SS

3. Jeremy Jeffress - RHP

4. Angel Salome - C

5. Taylor Green - 3B

6. Brett Lawrie - C

7. Jonathan Lucroy - C

8. Lorenzo Cain - OF

9. Cole Gillespie - OF

10. Jake Odorizzi - RHP

It is interesting looking at the two. Cole Gillespie is the only player that is in the same spot from both.

And I think it is unfair to say that the Brewers played Brantley out of position for years. The scouting reports certainly don't suggest that.
You seriously don't have any issue with all the games he played at 1B? Playing at 1B helped his development?

- Plato

- Plato

Tom H. said in his blog last week that he submits the list, and that BA edits it.

Here's the quote from his blog on 1/13/09:

"In the interest of full disclosure, I do the Top 10 Prospects (as well as the Top 30 for the soon-to-be published Prospect Handbook) for BA each year. But the editors have the final say on my rankings and I noticed one tweak in the Top 10."

You seriously don't have any issue with all the games he played at 1B? Playing at 1B helped his development?

It may be nitpicking, but you said that the Brewers had been playing Brantley out of position for years. It really only was one year that he played at first base (2007), partially due to organizational need, and partially due to the fact that he doesn't receive very high marks for his defensive abilities. And he did so less than half of the time. I never thought it was a huge issue, and actually I had more problem with Brantley's status as a prospect since no one seemed to think his potential defensively as a centerfielder would ever be that great, which is why he was playing left field (and subsequently first base).

Moving onto the remaining teams that haven't been covered, the Pirates are up today. Their system looks so much better with an impact player like Pedro Alvarez sitting on top, but they have a long, long way to go before their fortunes will start to turn around at the big-league level.

http://www.baseballameric...rospects/2009/267437.html

Good Lord, would it be depressing to be a Pirate fan. Of the top prosects of the last 10 years, there isn't an average player in the bunch. Moskos and McCutcheon could still turn out, but jeez, what a bunch of garbage. Dean Taylor isn't in their f.o. Is he?

Tom H. said in his blog last week that he submits the list, and that BA edits it.

Here's the quote from his blog on 1/13/09:

"In the interest of full disclosure, I do the Top 10 Prospects (as well as the Top 30 for the soon-to-be published Prospect Handbook) for BA each year. But the editors have the final say on my rankings and I noticed one tweak in the Top 10."

Thanks for sharing that. I'm just shocked that Gillespie rates out higher than Lucroy, and that BA seems to agree.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I am surprised some different scouting services rankings of both Lucroy and Taylor Green. Green was 7th on OPS in the FSL and Lucroy would have been tied for 6th if he had a couple more at bats. Only 2 of the 6 guys ahead are younger than Lucroy and I think only one was younger than Green so it is not like they were way older than the competition. I guess I would understand more if there were big questions about their defense, but Lucroy's has been graded pretty well, but I am not sure about Green.

I am excited to see what both these guys do this upcoming year as I expect their prospect status to continue to rise as people look beyond overall athletic ability and upside and look at their production and consistency.

I agree, JJ. I had Lucroy & Green at 5 & 6, respectively, on my list.

Lucroy just screams solid major leaguer to me, as does Green. Green could actually be a well above average player, especially if his power continues to develop and considering he'll play 3rd or 2nd.

With the exception of Lawrie, these two guys are the ones I'm looking most forward to tracking in the coming year.

Am I remembering correctly if I say that Green's defense is not considered a weakness? I honestly don't care as long as he's at least average in the field. Sucks to have guys that negate much of their offensive value with the frying pan... er, leather.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Am I remembering correctly if I say that Green's defense is not considered a weakness? I honestly don't care as long as he's at least average in the field. Sucks to have guys that negate much of their offensive value with the frying pan... er, leather.
I wonder if Green can be a quality 2B. Some of the questions on him have to do with his glove at 3B and if he has enough power to be a 3B. He would actually provide good power for a middle infield guy. Now I don't know if he has the quickness for 2B but I would be interested to see.

Archived