Brewer Fanatic

AJ Burnett

Who do you think will command more money...Burnett or Sheets? As much as I hate the idea of signing an injury plagued pitcher, especially for 5 years, the lack of starting pitching prospects in the minors and the obvious need this year has me real concerned. I think we should make a run at one of the two since Sabathia and now Peavy seem unlikely.

Who do you think will command more money...Burnett or Sheets? As much as I hate the idea of signing an injury plagued pitcher, especially for 5 years, the lack of starting pitching prospects in the minors and the obvious need this year has me real concerned. I think we should make a run at one of the two since Sabathia and now Peavy seem unlikely.

Brad Penny would be a cheaper option than both Sheets and Burnett and for about the same years or less.

Is Penny a FA or would he need to be traded for?
He isn't a FA yet but it looks like the Dodgers are going to be buying out Penny's contract. The decision is going to be today which I believe is the deadline the Dodgers have to make a decision on Penny.

Of course Penny isn't as good as Sheets or Burnett either and is even more of an injury concern.
Yes but he is also cheaper and would demand less years than both Burnett and Sheets. Penny is also a better option than Garland and Byrd and other FA options out there for the price. I don't trust Dempster enough to give him a long contract and whoever does that is going to regret it in a couple of years.

Penny is the best option for the Brewers to stick into the #3 spot in the rotation of the available free agents.

How is a pitcher whose team thinks they can't even trade a good option? Even with a limited no trade clause you can easily get something for Penny at 1 year at $8.75m if he's healthy. The Dodger declining the options mean he's not healthy.

http://masnsports.com/200...ding-yes-for-wieters.html

Interesting article that suggests it wasn't health that led to the decline of the option but was in fact a lack of professionalism on Penny's part.

It's believed that a perceived lack of professionalism had more to do with the Dodgers' decision than Penny's health. Apparently, he routinely blew off the customary pitchers' meeting before the first game of every series, and there were times when he seemed distracted by his outside interests - including his ownership of several racehorses and his relationships with at least two well-known actresses.

Penny didn't stick around for the Dodgers' playoff run, figuring it wasn't necessary if he couldn't pitch. He requested permission to leave the club, and though it was granted, it reportedly didn't sit well with the front office and manager Joe Torre.

I'm still not a big fan of Penny but he might make an interesting plan C at least.

Archived