Brewer Fanatic

Russell Martin on the market?

nate82

According to Peter Gammons Russel Martin maybe available on the trade market.

"Some Dodger officials have spread the word that Martin will either be traded or moved to third base, with a Jason Varitek signing a possibility."

Salome, Periard, and TGJ (assuming Pierre or Jones or both are traded) would that be a fair deal? If the Dodgers sign Varitek they would have Salome in the minors and be ready by 2010 or 2011 or he could be their back up catcher in 2009 I doubt that though.

Would this even be enough for Martin? Martin would take over at catcher in 2009 splitting time with Kendall and when there is a tough lefty that Hall or whoever the other 3B option is you could always play Martin there instead or have him play against certain righties.

I drool everytime I see that guy play.

Not sure what the Dodgers need. They're pretty solid, unless they don't re-sign Furcal.

Hardy and Hall for Martin???

Blake looks like he's leaving LA too. Not sure who the left handed version of their platoon would be, but Hall isn't bad as the right handed version.

Then there is this funny tidbit coming from Boras.

"Speaking to reporters at the General Manager's Meetings in Dana Point, Calif., agent Scott Boras said the Jason Varitek deserved a contract comprable to Yankees catcher Jorge Posada, who signed a four-year, $52.4 million deal last offseason."

If Varitek can get a 4 year $52.4 million deal I might just dust off the old catchers glove and see what I could get.

The Book Blog analyzed this a couple weeks ago.

What is either Heyman or the "Dodgers-connected person" talking about? The guy is 25 and a half years old, he has an OPS of .791 in his rookie year, .843 in 07, and .781 this year, and he is a freaking catcher!
I was under the impression that he's decent defensively. If the Dodgers are stupid enough to move him to sign gritty veteran Jason Varitek to like a 5 year, $100 million deal, let them go right ahead.

Then there is this funny tidbit coming from Boras.

"Speaking to reporters at the General Manager's Meetings in Dana Point, Calif., agent Scott Boras said the Jason Varitek deserved a contract comprable to Yankees catcher Jorge Posada, who signed a four-year, $52.4 million deal last offseason."

If Varitek can get a 4 year $52.4 million deal I might just dust off the old catchers glove and see what I could get.

I love how Boras sites the Red Sox winning 60 percent of games Varitek caught, as if their great offense and pitching staff was secondary to the great game calling skills of their catcher.

If Varitek gets a 4 year $52.4 million deal I'm going to teach myself to become right handed and become a catcher. I'm serious too.

If Varitek even gets a one year deal at $13+mil, I'd be dumbfounded. When Kevin Cash is an upgrade offensively, you know you're not getting $13mil (and I know Cash isn't REALLY an upgrade, but seriously...). If Boras even gets eight figures for El Capitan, then I demand a full Senate hearing on the matter.

That must be bad information on the Dodgers wanting Varitek to replace Martin, even if Russ were to go to 3rd base. What is probably true is Boras asking for that much money for Varitek. Only Boras would try something like that demand.

Archived