Brewer Fanatic

Javier Vazquez CWS

I think the reason his value is low is mostly because of his contract, why would they trade Vazquez for a guy that makes more money, is older, and is a worse pitcher?

I would love to get him for Bill Hall and a prospect, if they would do it. I think Vazquez would be a great addition to the staff.

I think he could be had for close to nothing. I think they'd just like to shed the contract. If we gave them Hall, we'd have to give up more due to Bill's negative value. I would consider a Hall + B type prospect for him, say a David Welch type. Without Hall, I would offer Josh Butler and see what they say. In any event, I would much prefer Vazquez to a FA signing just because he's only got two years left. Any other remotely attractive FA would likely require four years at the same rate.

Living in Chicago, you wouldn't believe the negative press Vazquez has gotten from the local media and fans. The team basically threw him under the bus towards the end of the season.

I know he has been very popular around Brewerfan.net because of his peripherals and I think he would be a great addition to the back of our rotation, but I don't know how happy I would be about him and Soup in the same rotation. If they are the #4 and #5 starters, that is fine, but then the top of the rotation would need to be upgraded as Yo, Parra, and Bush before them would not be good enough to make the playoffs. In that rotation, you are basically replacing Seth with Vazquez. Contracts and upside considered, I am not sure that is such a good move.

All that said, I would expect Vazquez to put up around a 4.5 ERA in 200IP next year, which is what I expected of Soup going into last year...makes me nervous for sure.

I've been one of the bigger Vazquez supporters during his entire career, but I have a friend who is a die-hard White Sox fan who tells me that I'll love the idea of getting Vazquez, but won't love actually having him over time. I'm not so sure about that, as the guy has been incredibly consistent throughout his career, as he's pretty much a lock for 200 innings and an ERA in the 4.00-4.50 range. He's essentially league-average while also chewing up a ton of innings while never missing significant (if any) playing time.

A warning though, he's been particularly lousy in the playoffs. Yes, that's mega-small sample, but lousy nonetheless.

The White Sox are looking for athletes with speed, with a need at second base with Alexei Ramirez sliding over the SS. Chris Getz may be an internal option to fill 2B, but the White Sox are reportedly going to go after Orlando Hudson. If Bill Hall isn't a good fit, and if the White Sox are looking for more than that, Rickie Weeks might be part of a bigger deal with the White Sox. Hernan Iribarren could be a good fit for them if they're looking for a straight salary dump, and he might be an even better match considering both he and manager Ozzie Guillen are Venezuelan.

His last 3 regular season starts and playoff game combined:

16 1/3 innings, 26 Hits, 25 Runs, 24 Earned Runs, 6 HR, 8 BB, 18 Ks, 13.25 ERA.

You guys wonder why they want to rid themselves of a guy who just did that and is due for another $23 million over 2 years? It's amazing the Sox got in with that kind of effort in crunch time. A lot of my friends are Sox fans and they can't get rid of him quick enough.

He was awful in the postseason with the Yankees in 2004 too. He has the reputation of folding in big games, and nothing he did in 2008 dispelled that.

I'd stay away unless the deal included Suppan.

I know at one time Kenny Williams liked Hall and he makes some sense for them, but I'd still insist they take Suppan and his big salary.

Sabathia was terrible in the playoffs too and most would be happy signing him. Trying to judge a pitcher off a few postseason starts is not a good way to go about building a team.

Vazquez is an above average pitcher, outside of that park and in the NL he'd probably be a decent #3 starter. Not sure I'd compare him to Suppan as he is a better pitcher than Suppan.

If CWS is keen to dump Vazquez because he is not a "big game" pitcher, I'd be delighted to trade Suppan for him. Hopefully CWS thinks of Suppan as a "big game" pitcher, a NLCS MVP and a WS winner, like the Brewers did and accept the offer. If not, I wouldn't mind trading Hall and Riske for Vazquez.

Just to chime in again, you would not believe the hate that manifested itself at the end of last season in Chicago for Vazquez. I really think Suppan may actually get the deal done right there. In terms of having both of them in the same rotation, I say no to that.

Wasn't there a big uproar when he was in NY about how he hated the "big city" atmosphere? And to say that with Yo/Parra/Bush/Vazquez/Soup, we wouldn't be a playoff team is a bit out there. The Phils, who just won the Series, started the season with a worse rotation, and to be frank, so did the Cubs. And considering that it would be a two-year deal, I could definitely get behind his acquisition.

Couldn't the White Sox use Weeks? Cabrera won't be back at SS and they want to move Alexi there. Opens up 2B for Weeks. I'd rather get Swisher back in return, but maybe we could work out Suppan+Weeks for Vazquez+Swisher? Saves the Sox money, gets rid of under-performing players for them that fill needs for us (SP, LH 1B/OF), gets rid of under-performing players for us that fill needs for them (replacement SP, tons of upside/change of scenery 2B).
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Just for fun. If Chicago is really trying to dump Vazquez.

What about Fielder & Suppan for Buerhle, Vazquez, and Swisher (assuming the Sox can dump one of Konerko/Thome)? It leaves a gaping hole in Chicago's rotation, but gives them plenty of $$$ to play with. Using the assumption that Suppan=Vazquez, I've read much worse suggestions for Fielder than Buerhle & Swisher.

Buerhle will turn 30 right before opening day next year and if he's traded I believe an option kicks in for '12 @ $15M. Basically a 4yr/$60M deal. Swisher has a Bill Hall-type contract and Vazquez is signed thru '10 @ approx. $12M/year. A Buerhle, Gallardo, Parra, Vazquez, and Bush rotation would be solid, but the offense would take a hit going from Fielder to Swisher. The Brewers would get older in the deal, but they aren't giving anything from the farm.

It's unlikely, but the next 4 months have to be filled with something. Speculation and conjecture will work...for now.

I don't think we need another league average starter. We already have Bush/Suppan/McClung/Villanueva.
Vazquez is a better starter than all of those, save for maybe Bush. The Brewers wouldn't have to give up much in terms of players to get him, and he's only under contract for two years. I think he'd be a great way to replace Sabathia/Sheets without giving up big time talent.

Gallardo

Parra

Vazquez

Bush

Suppan

McClung

Villanueva

That's certainly not what they had last year, but it's a solid rotation. It also leaves room to improve the team in other areas.

Archived