Brewer Fanatic

Salomon Torres an '09 Brewer?

MNBrew

All along I thought we'd been hearing that the Brewers had to decide by today whether or not to pick up the options on not just Cameron & Counsell but also on Torres. Personally I think they should.

While it got headlines when they acted on each of the former two, I'm quite surprised that it's now 11 p.m. and still there's been no mention anywhere I've found about the status of Torres' contract option.

Is there any news at all to be found on this?

I think they should pick it up. I would like to see the Brewers find somebody else for the closer role though. I prefer to see pitchers who can go multiple innings like Torres in a more flexible role.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think in Torres' case, it's more of a case of chicken. He had to be talked out of retiring to join the Brewers this year and I believe I read somewhere during the season that he would consider it again in 2009. I imagine if he's brought back as anything less than the closer he might consider retiring and if he does so, after they pick it up--I think--the team will still be on the hook for the salary or a portion of it. Can anybody clarify/elaborate?

Yeah, I thought he was as good as gone for retirement this year during the season, but I haven't heard anything of the sort since the season ended. I especially believed so when he ran out of gas to end the season. I don't think there's any denying that this was the case. I'm still expecting him to retire.

Archived