Brewer Fanatic

The Mark Teixeira thread

Mr Boras says Manny will get six years, Teixeira's deal will be "longer than that."

Boston has indicated interest in Teixeira, with an intent to move Youkilis to 3B, making Mike Lowell available, once he has healed from his recent surgery.

I wonder if Boras will negotiate something like an 8 year deal that protects Teixeira if he stinks/gets hurt, etc., while leaving an out in 3 or 4 years to become a free agent if he wants to. How or why a team would agree to that is beyond me.

If Manny gets 6 years the world might come to an end.

I think the Yanks end up adding him for $6 years and about $160 million. Man I wish the Brewers had someone like him. Gold Glove defender who can switch hit with power. They sure don't come around very often. I think it will come down to the Yanks and the Halos. Can the Yankees afford CC and Tex? That is $50M + locked up for the next 5 years on 2 players.

Is Teixeira the best player to hit FA since perhaps Vlad? The only player I can think of off the top of my head would be Beltran when you factor in that he plays CF, but I think Teixeira brings more to the table with offense and still very solid D.

When you think about it though, signing Teixeira makes more sense than signing Sabathia. Teixeira, like all position players would be less of an injury risk, they're both going to get a ton of money, but Teixeira is also a great player like Sabathia. Signing Teixeira would then allow us to trade Fielder for pitching.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I love CC, but if you had to put down 7 years and $140 million, it's tough to pass on a guy who plays everyday and hits like Tex. CC was a monster for us, but sinking that kind of loot into any player is dangerous, but especially for a pitcher. Of course, there's the draft pick you'd lose for signing a FA from another team, but it's still hard to give that kind of money to a pitcher.

while it sounds great at first, it would also lock up a lot of our money into our position players, forcing us to recycle our pitching more often, something that we are not very good at. At least not lately. I think we are almost better paying for pitching seen as how we are able to seemingly replace our hitting through the draft, but maybe not anymore....

I really hope Tex doesn't go to the Yanks, I would like to see him stay with the Angels I think he fits better in that system then the Yankees. With the Angels he has speed in front of him to drive in runs and I believe at least a much better defense team behind him. Also the angels pitching stuff is far superior to that of the current yankees. He is more likely to get a ring with the Angels than the aging Yankees

Archived