Brewer Fanatic

Would you trade Suppan for Dontrelle Willis?

MLB Trade Rumors website had an interesting snipit on possible bad contract trades. They mentioned people like Suppan and Willis. So what do you think? Would you give up Suppan and his 2 years reamining for Willis? Can we restore Willis to his old form thus making his big contract more manageable?

I dont know what his contract looks like, but it'd be a tough call. I think it depends on your depth for this year. As bad as Suppan is, he stays healthy at least. But if we have more than Bush, McClung and Capuano then I'd say go for it. Willis' upside if much higher than Suppans.

MLB Trade Rumors website had an interesting snipit on possible bad contract trades. They mentioned people like Suppan and Willis. So what do you think? Would you give up Suppan and his 2 years reamining for Willis? Can we restore Willis to his old form thus making his big contract more manageable?

I'd rather take my chances with Willis but I don't believe his 'old self' was all that good either. I think his skills are that of a low to mid 4 ERA pitcher and Suppan's are a mid to high 4 ERA pitcher.

Willis made 3 starts in Sept. Two of them were decent against top offensive teams. He'll be 27 years old next season. He can hit like CC.

I make that deal in a heartbeat.

Please dont tell me that his hitting is why you want to acquire him. If he pitches as bad as he has the past two seasons he wouldnt make it to his turn in the lineup anyway.

Willis is intriguing because of what he was in Florida, but too risky. At least Suppan has been consistent and we know what he is likely to be and he'll be gone in two years.

Two guys who at the very least could provide some AAA SP depth are Kevin Correia and Brad Hennessey. Both were designated (I think, or at least optioned) by the Giants last year. I'm not sure of their contract status. I'd imagine their asking price wouldn't be substantial.

He's owed 10 mil in '09 and 12 in '10. That's a savings of 3 mil at the cost of a (very) little more certainty. I'd do it as long as there wasn't much more involved. And it would be mighty interesting to boot.

• 5 weeks later...
I'd rather have Suppan. He's great in the clubhouse and takes the ball every time out. He could turn into a soft-tossing late 30s renaissance pitcher who strings together a good couple of years, like Byrd or the Phillies guy(?). Probably not, but Dontrelle is so messed up I think he'd be better off trying to do a Rick Ankiel.

Archived