Brewer Fanatic

Dark horses for potential Fielder destinations

LouisEly
I really can't see Boston doing that either. Why wouldn't they just sign Texeira and keep Bucholz and Ellsbury?
I'm guessing that Fielder could be a back-up plan for any team that wants Tex...but gets out-bid for his services...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many of them are 24 and able to produce at a high level as a 1b or DH for another 6 years? If a team is ready to sign Tex for 5-6 years they would more than likely prefer Fielder to any on those oldsters in your list (excpt for Dunn, who I believe is still under 30)...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

But Fielder is only under contract for 3 years and almost certainly not going to sign an extension, especially not one below market value. So either you give up talent and a lot of money for Fielder for three years or just a lot of money for three years for one of those.

What about a team like the Angels? If the Red Sox get Tex, and the Dodgers keep Ramirez, they could be a real possibility. They also match up with us extremely well. They have a bunch of pitching and some good young players. They are a contender who may feel like they need to make a move on an offense that is growing older.

Good call on the Angels, I could see them being interested in Prince to replace Texiera's offense(assuming they lose him). They are the type of team I see making an offer for Prince, good all around team that might be a big bat away. They also have the depth and young talent to give us what we'd want and still be good, I definitely see a match.

I'd love to get Wood, Willits, and Santana depending on what else we'd have to add. Willits could play cf and leadoff and provide some obp, switch hitter, and would free up a Cameron for Hughes(?) trade. Wood could play 3rd(right?) and allow us to let Gamel learn 3rd, move positions, or trade him. Santana would obviously be nice, not sure if they'd want to move him, I'm afraid we might have to include Jeffress. Could we get that package with Prince and lower level prospects or would we have to include more?

The Giants beat writer has reported that the Brewers and Giants continue to talk about Prince Fielder and J.J. Hardy:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi...?blogid=22&entry_id=32802

A non-Giants source has told me there remains some dialog between the Giants and Brewers about a possible deal for first baseman Prince Fielder or shortstop J.J. Hardy, but the source said the Brewers are not terribly keen on moving them, particularly Fielder.

In general, Giants people seem to be lowering expectations that they can swing any kind of deal for a big impact bat. That was their hope as the season ended, but during their discussions they have found that teams are reluctant to deal everyday players for pitchers, unless the pitcher's name is Tim Lincecum.

That final comment is very interesting, although I would have a hard time believing that the Brewers wouldn't be seriously interested if Matt Cain was on the table.

Archived