Brewer Fanatic

Elias Rankings: CC, Sheets Type A, Cameron, Gagne, Shouse, Torres Type B

AJhawk50

I think its absurd, after what Sabathia did, is rated lower than Texteira. That means if the Yankees sign them both, our compensation is a 2nd round pick, for possibly the best pitcher in baseball....thats crap.

Do you think we'll offer arby to Shouse? I think we should, its a win-win. If he accepts you get a pretty decent LOOGY who'll still be fairly cheap. If not you get that extra pick and still have Stetter to replace him. I think we let Gagne walk, and pick up the option on Torres, so we still walk away with 5, 7 total, extra picks before round 3, assuming we dont sign a Type A. That'll be a nice little haul.

I like how Moises Alou, a guy who has played 102 games total the past two years garners the same compensation as Mike Cameron and Milton Bradley.
I think they take a player's production and figure it over a full season if they are injured.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Last year I wasn't too upset that the Brewers didn't land extra first-round picks for Cordero and Linebrink since they got early third-rounders, but if a team like the Yankees goes out and signs Teixeira AND Sabathia this offseason, that will flat-out suck.

I actually dont' have a problem with Teix over Sabathia. Teix had a very good offensive year and was the best or 2nd best defensive 1B in baseball as well.

Some of the other A vs B ones bug me though, the system obviously needs a revamp.

We need a full list broken down by position. I'm betting one will be out in the next few days and that someone will provide a link.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

In order to give up/receive compensation, the player needs to be tendered an offer of at least 80% of their previous year's salary, correct? If so, who is likely to be tendered at least that much, and who is likely to not be tendered?

Also, does this include players with a team option? IIRC, Torres has a team option, and it is very likely that they will pick it up.

Some type B guys who I don't think are much of a step down from the Type A guys who intrigue me - Affeldt, Ayala, Beimel, Blake, Bradley, Garland, Looper. How Beimel is a type B and Marte and Darren Oliver is a type A is strange; he, Affeldt, or Ayala could help fill out the bullpen. Should neither Sheets nor Sabathia be back, a guy like Looper or Garland could help fill out the rotation without having to give up a first round pick. Looper also has previously closed, so he could be moved back into the bullpen if needed. Gallardo/Parra/Bush/Looper-Garland/Suppan would be league average, and if their offense can revert to 2007 numbers their above-average offense would keep them in the playoff chase.

Should neither Sheets nor Sabathia be back, a guy like Looper or Garland could help fill out the rotation without having to give up a first round pick.

Garland = Suppan. I'd rather not have another Suppan.

Some type B guys who I don't think are much of a step down from the Type A guys who intrigue me - Affeldt, Ayala, Beimel, Blake, Bradley, Garland, Looper. How Beimel is a type B and Marte and Darren Oliver is a type A is strange;
Personally, I've never thought much of Affeldt. He's like Schoenweis...so much talent, just a bad pitcher.

As for Marte, he's been a stud for years, so I'd love to add him

Should neither Sheets nor Sabathia be back, a guy like Looper or Garland could help fill out the rotation without having to give up a first round pick.

Garland = Suppan. I'd rather not have another Suppan.

Garland is only 29 (Suppan was 31 when he signed) and while his numbers are somewhat similar to Suppan, his career ERA is lower and was compiled strictly in the AL.

I think the Suppan comparison fits Looper more than Garland.

I'm pretty sure you simply must offer him arbitration and have him decline - no exact money figure needs to be offered because the arbitration process never begins.

Yep, actual numbers aren't exchanged until much later in the process (and normally well after free agency is done).

Personally, I've never thought much of Affeldt. He's like Schoenweis...so much talent, just a bad pitcher.

Looking at what he has done out of the bullpen the last two years I don't think "bad pitcher" is the appropriate label. He has done just fine as a reliever. I wasn't advocating him as a starter.

Archived