Brewer Fanatic

Counsell's option declined -- Latest: re-signed to a 1 year/$1 mil deal (reply #40)

craigharmann
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would have rather spent one year and $1 million on Gabe Kapler, but whatever. I'm already starting to give up on this off season with Melvin's moves so far and his comments about starting pitching help likely not coming. Gallardo, Parra, Bush, Suppan and McClung are not gonna cut it.
We were ahead in the wild card chase last year without CC, while missing a month of Cameron. Gallardo may not be Sheets yet, but he isn't far away either.

I agree that the Brewers need to find another decent starter one way or another. The odds of you getting through a season with only 5 starters are very slim.

That said, unless you have Cal Ripken Jr. in his prime, you still need a backup shortstop. You're not going to find a veteran backup SS for much less than $1 million.

Robert

Community Moderator
I'm glad to hear that our hometown hero is returning for another year. Counsell may not hit for average or power, but he does just about everything else right. He showed (once again) that he can be counted on in big situations, as he had a crucial at-bat ahead of Braun's walk-off Grand Slam as well as the game-tying RBI in game 162. If $1 million is the correct figure, then he will barely be making double the minimum, which makes this a low risk signing. In addition, it allows Escobar more time at AAA instead of possibly sitting on the bench behind Hardy.

Counsell may not hit for average or power, but he does just about everything else right.
The problem is mainly that Counsell just plain doesn't hit for the most part. Defense is great. Leadership is great. Eye at the plate is great. He has a few clutch moments but most of the time he's a total liability at the plate. Iribarren could learn other IF positions and the team wouldn't be much worse off at all.

I knew CC would pick Milwaukee!!!

Seriously though, he can back up 3 infield positions and always gives a good AB.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Counsell, Brewers Agree To Deal
By Ben Jones [January 23 at 12:36pm CST]

Do you have a link to this? It's not that we suspect you of forgery. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif A link covers our butts as far as properly citing reprinted material.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I like the move, the guy gets on 35% of the time, that's not too bad for a guy off the bench.
Right, but almost half the time it's without getting a hit. The guy can take a walk so well. But he can't hit.

Pinch hitting is one of the times when BA should be taken into account. There are times when a hit is definitely more important than drawing a walk. I think that those times come up more often for pinch hitters. Even if they don't, the manager knows the situation and should be taking BA into account. Obviously not making an out is still more important.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

My only problem with this is what good will it do to have him take a walk only to have Kendall and the pitcher batting behind him? Maybe Macha will have some better design to the batting order to get some runs out of the end of our lineup.

It is tought to root for a guy who you hope keeps the bat on his shoulder and doesn't swing because that is about the only way he can get on base.

He may have drawn a bases loaded walk to tie the last game but how many also remember about a week earlier where he struck with the bases loaded against the Cubs or with one out and runners on 2nd and 3rd in extra innings against the Cubs and he couldn't hit the ball out of the infield to score a run? Or the countless pop outs to second base with runners on? I just can't get excited about any Counsell AB's when if he swings the bat it is an automatic out, usually a weak out at that. (unless the bases are loaded)

RISP .155/.311/.224

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

How many *good* hitting reserve middle infielders are out there? A guy who can play any infield spot competently, get on base at a .350 clip and only costs 1 million dollars is a valuable piece of any puzzle. If you're counting on him to get 500 at bats and slug more than .375, you'll be disappointed. That's not what he's being brough on for. As long as he is left in the role that he *should* be in, he's a bargain.

Pinch hitting is one of the times when BA should be taken into account. There are times when a hit is definitely more important than drawing a walk. I think that those times come up more often for pinch hitters. Even if they don't, the manager knows the situation and should be taking BA into account. Obviously not making an out is still more important.
I'd say the ability to get on is way more important than getting a hit for a pinch hitter. Generally speaking if you are pinch hitting it is because you had a weak hitter at the plate and since you went to the bench you probably brought a weak hitter into the game. The majority of the time the next guy up is going to be better than either option.

Archived