Brewer Fanatic

Counsell's option declined -- Latest: re-signed to a 1 year/$1 mil deal (reply #40)

craigharmann
In 07, Counsell hit .220/.323/.309. In 08, he hit .226/.355/.302. Yes he played solid defense, but there's an old saying in baseball: you can shake a tree and 100 good glove guys fall out, but good hitters are hard to find.

He wasn't worth the nearly $3 million per year he made in 07 and 08.

Using jinaz's numbers for 2008 he was 8.7 runs above replacement in 2008 and I know that number was higher in 2007. At roughly $4M per 10 runs above replacement that puts him right in the $3M range. In 2007 he was one of the best defensive players in the game playing 662 innings in the field without a single error. He is still an above average SS/2B defensively but in 2008 he played way too much 3B which hurt his value as it isn't as good a defensive position for him and obviously his offense is weaker at 3B.

There is no way in heck he was paid 2-3 times his value the last two seasons, that is just way undervaluing defense to say something like that. He might not have quite earned his salary but it was pretty close. I'm glad we didn't pick up his option because his defense is slipping some but I couldn't let that comment slide either.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark Loretta would be a nice reserve infielder, he definitely brings more to the table offensively.

He wouldn't be as good defensively as Counsell, and is right handed, but is still a good 2nd baseman, and can handle the other infield positions decently.

Not surprised by this. The team needs have changed. The gritty veteran on the bench to guide the players is no longer a need with the maturation of the core players. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he retires. He's had a great career and the sooner he retires the quicker he can be eligible for the Hall of Fame.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

I'm wondering though... are they trimming bench payroll because they are preparing to put a lot of money towards someone?

I think the raises many of the arby eligible players are due will take up most of that. At this point I think the Brewers can skimp by with cheap young bench players easier than they can afford to eat up valuable money with older bench players. The circumstances are different now than they were even a couple years ago, This is a much more established core of players now. The need for veteran leadership and bench players who have been there done that are not nearly as high a priority as two years ago. They served their purpose and now it's time to move on.

If the Brewers knew this sort of move was coming, why didn't they do it sooner so Joe Dillon didn't have to be DFA'd upon the arrival of Casey McGehee?

Casey had some nice ideas of why but I also think it could be an indication of what they really thought of Dillon overall.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he retires.

There were several points this season at the plate where Craig pretty visibly was frustrated, and his body language reinforced those thoughts at times too. I just remember on more than one occasion thinking to myself that it just didn't look that much fun anymore for him. Craig's had a pretty darn good career when you think about how hard it is to even make pro ball, let alone the bigs. If he does decide to retire, he should hold his head high & take pride in some of the special moment he was able to be a part of. And imho he's done WI proud.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Especially considering how huge a role he had in those WS. I f a script was to be written for a career there would be worse ones to follow. Have success for a long time. Be a WS champion twice and the MVP in one post season run then finish off with the career helping the team you grew up following back to prominence. Not bad at all. If only we could all have that many good memories when looking back at our careers.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• 2 months later...
Haudricourt has a new blog entry up saying that Counsell could be back with the Brewers, again in a utility infield type role.

I guess it wouldn't be the worst move in the world if he is cheap enough.

"Cheap" being the operative word there.

Why waste a young players's service time to sit on the bench? One of the most valuable thing for teams like the Brewers is prospects. Letting them come up to sit the bench makes them one year closer to leaving. Look at the wasted year of Corey Hart. I also believe in letting young guys play so they can improve instead of rotting on the bench.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Counsell, Brewers Agree To Deal

By Ben Jones [January 23 at 12:36pm CST]

Free agent infielder Craig Counsell has reached preliminary agreement with the Milwaukee Brewers for a one-year, $1MM contract, a source told Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com.

After spending the past two seasons with the Brewers, Counsell became a free agent when the team declined his $3.4MM club option at the start of the offseason, Rosenthal notes.

Counsell, 38, appeared in 110 games for Milwaukee last season, batting .226 with a .355 on-base percentage, one home run and 14 RBI. He is a .255/.343/.344 career hitter.

The Seattle Mariners and St. Louis Cardinals also had interest in Counsell's services.

I would have rather spent one year and $1 million on Gabe Kapler, but whatever. I'm already starting to give up on this off season with Melvin's moves so far and his comments about starting pitching help likely not coming. Gallardo, Parra, Bush, Suppan and McClung are not gonna cut it.

Archived