Brewer Fanatic

Counsell's option declined -- Latest: re-signed to a 1 year/$1 mil deal (reply #40)

craigharmann

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Counsell earned his salary in 2007 most likely but he really slipped defensively in 2008 and at his age I'm not sure he has anymore productive years in him. Glad they declined it.

I agree that hopefully this moves Hall into super sub mode and we trade for or sign a real 3B.

Not even Counsell could grit his way to a $3.4 million salary.

Only David Eckstein possesses enough scragrittibattliness to attain such lofty goals.

Since he's a WI boy, I'm sad to see him go, but performance-wise, I'm glad he's not in the plans. Must've been pretty cool for a hometown boy to be a part of 'his team' making it back to the postseason for the first time in 25+ seasons. Now he & Damian Miller can team up to fight crime as superheros... or something

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I don't have too much to complain about with Counsell, but he's clearly on the decline and even his still decent OBP has to be weighed against a complete lack of power and declining usefulness as a middle infielder. Hall and Alcides Escobar probably offer just as much at this stage, if not considerably more. And, if the Brewers aren't satisfied with that, versatile utility infielders without much of a bat, aren't all that rare.

Robert

I give credit to Craig Counsell for making the routine plays in the field and for being a nice guy. But he couldn't hit for power or average. He had no speed on the bases and he had no range or arm in the field. I just don't see any reason to bring him back considering that he excels at nothing. He is just getting older too.

Let's use that roster spot to add a bench player who can actually contribute something.

Im sure hernan iribarren will be in the running for his spot just because the tropical storm s out of options...

there are at least 15 available guys that can do what craig did last year and more...here's hoping the brewers get someone with some upside

I agree that hopefully this moves Hall into super sub mode

Given that he can play 3B, SS, and 2B, that would be a great role, and can open up another bench spot. Good call on Iribarren filling the other backup IF role, however I do think they will find someone to bring in to compete for the role. According to the site though Iribarren still has one more option remaining.

I'm wondering though... are they trimming bench payroll because they are preparing to put a lot of money towards someone?

$3.4M for what he gave the Brewers is at least 2x too much, maybe 3x what his production is worth. Great guy. Good clubhouse/team player/leader. Solid D. Not worth anything more than $1.5M at the most, really more like $1.1M or $1.2M. They keep showing signs of wanting him back in some way, though, which to me doesn't really make the team better. He does most things solidly and only stinks at hitting.

My only lingering question is this: If the Brewers knew this sort of move was coming, why didn't they do it sooner so Joe Dillon didn't have to be DFA'd upon the arrival of Casey McGehee?

$3.4M for what he gave the Brewers is at least 2x too much, maybe 3x what his production is worth

It wasn't in 2007, he easily earned $3.4M in 2007 but in 2008 he was probably closer to only $3M. You can't undersell defense. I didn't want to keep Counsell mind you but I will argue to my death against his contract being a bad thing. He pretty much earned his money even in an extremely limited role.

I wouldn't have had a problem with Counsell coming back. I do think he was given to big of a role last year. He should have been limited to no more than 1-2 starts a week at either 2B or SS. I have no problem with paying a veteran even $4M to be a bench player if it means saving time on the clock of a young player.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

$3.4M for what he gave the Brewers is at least 2x too much, maybe 3x what his production is worth

It wasn't in 2007, he easily earned $3.4M in 2007 but in 2008 he was probably closer to only $3M. You can't undersell defense. I didn't want to keep Counsell mind you but I will argue to my death against his contract being a bad thing. He pretty much earned his money even in an extremely limited role.

In 07, Counsell hit .220/.323/.309. In 08, he hit .226/.355/.302. Yes he played solid defense, but there's an old saying in baseball: you can shake a tree and 100 good glove guys fall out, but good hitters are hard to find.

He wasn't worth the nearly $3 million per year he made in 07 and 08. He would have needed to hit more like .260/.350/.340 to justify that contract. He was probably worth $1.5 million or so. He's certainly not worth anything close to $3.4 million going forward. I'd offer him a minor league deal to save a roster spot, then pay him around $1.25 million if he makes the team.

$3.4M for what he gave the Brewers is at least 2x too much, maybe 3x what his production is worth.

$3.4 million barely dents a payroll in the $80 million range, even if a player is getting 100-200 percent too much. In a case like this, I wouldn't get my undies in a bunch about the past, but it's something I'd consider when the opportunity arises to make plans for the future.

If the Brewers knew this sort of move was coming, why didn't they do it sooner so Joe Dillon didn't have to be DFA'd...?

This isn't a strong argument or anything, but Melvin might have been thinking in these terms. DFAing a player removes him from the roster. Craig's still on the roster until he declares free agency. He still has 12 or 13 days to make that decision.

Doug could have DFAed Craig after declining his option. But DFA choices are to trade a player, release him, or send him to the minors. Had it come down to releasing him, he would have lost the option of re-signing him over the winter. He may be wanting to keep that choice open.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived