Brewer Fanatic

Trading Philosophies

Not sure if this will fit here or generate a good discussion.

My question is, Do you think it would be an advantage for us to pull the trigger on a trade BEFORE free agency really starts, or would it be better to see what the market is like before pulling the trigger. I guess my thought is that I am assuming Hardy and Fielder are at least dangled to see what type of offers they'd yield. I just wonder how good of an offer they'd need to get to pull the trigger before free agency begins.

My second thought is that, I believe Melvin said a year or two back, that it's easier to sell high on hitting than pitching in the offseason. Likewise, he said it's easier to buy low on pitching than it is during the regular season.

Just some things to keep in mind as we enter what should be a busy offseason. Does anyone else have any inklings as to how Doug will approach the offseason?

I'm not sure Melvin's right about the idea that it's easier to buy low on pitching during the offseason. I suspect it's a cyclical thing and dependent on what's out there on the free agent market.

It certainly looks like a weak market this year, so making a trade, as long as it doesn't open up a hole that needs to be filled with a free agent, is probably a solid option. However, I suspect that the Brewers are going to be a lot less busy than people suspect. Maybe one major trade to acquire someone to play third, possibly a dump of Hall, and then some middle relievers and starter depth late in the free agent period.

Robert

Archived