Brewer Fanatic

Mike Jacobs to KC for Leo Nunez

wallus

KC was definitely a possible destination for Prince.

How? Their revenue situation is worse than ours. I suppose any team is a possible destination, but KC had/has to be near the bottom of the list

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

KC was definitely a possible destination for Prince.

How? Their revenue situation is worse than ours. I suppose any team is a possible destination, but KC had/has to be near the bottom of the list

Other than Meche, who are they paying significant money to? This trade showed they WERE looking for a lefty hitting 1st baseman.

Jose Guillen is getting huge money. But that's not the point. the point is the Royals suck and adding Fielder for three years doesn't stop them from sucking.

Looking at their last year's 1b, it would help them suck less by a lot.

So they can get that shiny 4th place trophy in the AL Central? The Sox, Twins, Tigers, and Indians are much better than the Royals right now.
They need to start somewhere, Fielder would be there at least two years. I think the Rays from this year say you should not give up on any season (not directly comparing the Royals to the Rays)

Rob Neyer wrote a blog on ESPN basically saying that he's lost all faith in Dayton Moore because of this deal. Mike Jacobs is not a great player at all and most of their organizational depth is at 1B (Butler, Shealy, others).
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

While I never thought that Fielder would get traded to the Royals, I do think that the Royals are far from "sucking" as some might say.

I would compare them to the 2005 Brewers, except they have pitching and pitching potential, and they play in a tougher division than the Brewers. They could be a player away from surprising people immensely, maybe Jacobs is the guy. Many people inside of baseball feel that the Royals have a very good young team that just needs to develop a little more. They could very well likely be the next Brewers or Rays team out there.

On the subject of this trade though, wow! Kansas City should have had to throw in a decent AA prospect or a guy like Billy Butler to balance this trade out. Loria is such a scumbag. If I were a fan of the Marlins or a resident of Dade county, I wouldnt want a cent of my money going to build him a new stadium.

I don't know about that. Hochevar hit the wall in AAA and never got over it, Bannister had 1 lucky year and just isn't very good, Davies is no more than a backend guy. Meche and Greinke aren't bad at all and I guess you could call that good young pitching but Meche is 30 now and is more likely to slip some than get better and Greinke has to be getting pretty close to free agency too.

Comparing them to the 2005 Brewers might be pretty accurate but saying their pitching outlook was much better doesn't really seem true to me.

On the subject of this trade though, wow! Kansas City should have had to throw in a decent AA prospect or a guy like Billy Butler to balance this trade out.

Why do you think this? Jacobs might have negative value next year. He will get arby money, he's not that good of an offensive player, and he has awful defensive numbers according to a few PBP metrics. According to Dial's OPD system, there were only 16 players who contributed less than Jacobs last year in the NL (-3 runs offensively, -12.6 defensively, compared to position).

If Jacobs could develop some plate discipline he could be a solid player, he certainly has the raw power just looking at his homers/at bat.

Well sure but he turned 28 yesterday (Happy Birthday Mike!) so the chances of him developing that discipline is really small.

According to Dewan's system, the only firstbasman who's been defensively worse than Fielder over the last 3 seasons has been Jacobs. Last year, Jacobs was the worst by a landslide. Fielder is at least a great hitter. Jacobs had a .299 OBP last year and has a career OBP under .320. Negative value indeed.

And the Rays were projected to be pretty good in 08. The Royals are just bad.

What this trade does is make the Royals decidedly more left handed offensively. Which begs the question what does it take to get Teahen or DeJesus?

A Weeks for one or the other deal seems plausible.

Weeks for DeJesus might make sense, Weeks for Teahen just hurts the team. Now Hall for Teahen might work as suggested in the trade proposal forum.

(added link --1992)

Archived