Brewer Fanatic

Should the World Series be played at Miller Park next year?

I see a tremendous overreaction to the end of the World Series being delayed by a whole 48 hours. It was nothing but bad luck, as the series would have gone off without a hitch in most of the playoff teams' cities. Heck, it would have gone off without a problem if the NL had won the All Star game. Next the media will be crying about games in California because an earthquake once delayed the World Series a couple of days.

There's nothing wrong with the World Series as it stands. Weather causes problems once or twice a decade, blows through, and the games get played in front of packed stadiums of enthusiastic fans.

Robert

I don't think this was a Bud idea so I'm not sure where this comes from.

Right after the suspension happened, Selig said they'd finish the World Series over Thanksgiving dinner if they had to. I would hope they don't shorten the season at all. Playing late into September and then in October is great for the game. The conditions create part of the lure of the game. However, if the AL/NLDS went to 7 games, I don't know how I'd feel about that.

Baseball has a great playoff system for series matchups. Basketball and Hockey bring in 16 teams with best of 7 whatever (Maybe it's only 5 for the first round of the NHL, I'm not sure), and it's sub .500 teams getting blown out by the best teams in the league. Boring city. Keep the season the same length and the playoffs the same format.

If I were Bud, here are the changes I would make. Not sure if all can be made feasibly, but I'm just brainstorming.

• Make sure the 162 game regular season doesn't tie into October.

• Eliminate some off days. No more off days between games 4 and 5 in a 7 game series.

• Start the DS and WS as soon as the advancing teams are decided. If the DS are both decided in sweeps, don't wait a week to start the World Series.

• 3 weeks later...
Braun was interviewed today on WSSP and his thoughts were that the World Series should be at a neutral site because having to delay the game to the next day causes people to lose interest in the game. Naturally he suggested Milwaukee as a possible location for next years World Series as a neutral site.

I'm surprised at how much discussion there has been about the neutral site idea, regardless of how serious it is. It seems like a really bad idea. It's not the like the Super Bowl so that you know it'll be one day around which you can plan travel and fans (those rich enough to go) can adjust their schedules around. The fact that the series could go 4 to 7 games makes planning difficult. If I was a season ticket holder who went to all my team's home games, then they make the World Series and I have to go across country to see them, I'd be upset. The easiest solution to this (if it needs to be solved, and I agree with other posters that there has been an overreaction) would be to shorten the regular season, or at the very least reduce the off days in the post-season. I think all the inter-league games should be dumped, and shorten the season by how ever many games that is (15? 18?, it's not the same for each team?). Of course, the owners (probably the players too given what it could mean for salaries) won't allow for fewer games and hence less revenue.
You may run like Mays...

Braun was interviewed today on WSSP....Naturally he suggested Milwaukee as a possible location for next years World Series as a neutral site.
So Ryan's already given up on the Brewers as a 2009 WS team? Oh, man. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Braun was interviewed today on WSSP and his thoughts were that the World Series should be at a neutral site because having to delay the game to the next day causes people to lose interest in the game. Naturally he suggested Milwaukee as a possible location for next years World Series as a neutral site.

I don't know why the fact that this has happened exactly once ever in history keeps getting glossed over. The logistics of fan travel, not to mention losing home field advantage, and the ability of the home fans to get time off (and travel expenditures) to see the team they supported all season just isn't feasible. All to hopefully prevent an event from happening that may not occur again in the next 100 years anyways.

If I were Bud, here are the changes I would make. Not sure if all can be made feasibly, but I'm just brainstorming.

• Make sure the 162 game regular season doesn't tie into October.

• Eliminate some off days. No more off days between games 4 and 5 in a 7 game series.

• Start the DS and WS as soon as the advancing teams are decided. If the DS are both decided in sweeps, don't wait a week to start the World Series.

I just wanted this repeated. There is no reason to be playing baseball as late as they do. Why is the start of the season pushed back to April 7th next season and the World Baseball Clasic shouldn't be an excuse for possibly playing baseball in November.

Baseball should also put in planned day-night double headers on Saturdays. Thats just my 2 cents.

Baseball should also put in planned day-night double headers on Saturdays. Thats just my 2 cents.
Yes, yes, and yes!!!! This is the most obvious solution if there needs to be a solution at all. It's the, "Oh, then turn off the stove if the bacon is burning," option that to me seems so obvious and takes away the need for these oddball solutions.

Here you go, Bud, and I won't charge a dime:

Twilight double-headers. Schedule the cold-weather teams without domes to open and close their seasons with the southern or western swings in their schedules. And, as a mere formality, ban the World Series from ever being played at Wrigley Field.

Twilight double-headers. Schedule the cold-weather teams without domes to open and close their seasons with the southern or western swings in their schedules. And, as a mere formality, ban the World Series from ever being played at Wrigley Field.

I think all Major League Baseball games should be banned from Wrigley Field. I'm surprised no visiting team hasn't filed a formal protest against playing in that dump.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If Philly wasn't stupid and put a roof on their stadium when they built it a couple years ago, we wouldn't be talking about this, but teams are too cheap to do that it seems like when they build new stadiums.

Are you kidding? Having been to many games at CBP during the summers, under the sun, feeling the breeze...that's what baseball is all about! When I want to sit inside I go to a hockey game. (And I love hockey.) As for late October, the chill in the air and your breath fogging up is how you know that you've made the postseason! No team should play under a roof unless their environment absolutely demands it, for examples in Milwaukee or Tampa Bay. It has nothing to do with cheapness and everything to do with the love of the game. For the same reason, I have to vote against the idea of neutral sites. Remember how exciting the energy at Miller Park was because the home team was in the playoffs? Every (playoff) fan base deserves to have that experience too!

$150 million to save 5 games a year is stupid.
In northern cities, like Milwaukee, it's not just about saving 5 games...it's about creating a comfortable setting in the cold Aprils, Mays, Septembers, and if lucky, Octobers that we get up here. Without a roof, not nearly as many people would come to games when it is 40 outside. I'd argue it's about selling tickets, not saving 5 games that would be made up later on anyways.

Heading back to the original question... Say Tampa plays Houston in the World Series. Would they still move it to a neutral site? They wouldn't really need to since the weather would be a non-factor (even though October is the end of hurricane season). If those teams did have to go neutral, the argument that they need to go neutral for weather is thrown out the window. If they didn't have to go neutral, and say Philly and Cleveland did, how would that be fair?

How about just Game One at a neutral site? This could make it an event as big as the Super Bowl, with folks able to plan travel & reserve hotels a full year in advance. Then alternate the remaining games between the two participating teams, 2-2-1-1. Being able to schedule this so far in advance could help MLB make a boatload of cash, as well as have baseball compete with football for the biggest sporting event of the year.

Archived