Brewer Fanatic

4/9/06 D'Backs (Vargas) @ Brewers (Capuano) 1:05 CST

LS Brewer
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I had that feeling that this was going to happen. We've just had too many close games to start the season for something like this not to happen sooner rather than later.

On top of that, for some reason (maybe because it's a day game) I never had that feeling that we "Would" get back into it like in the previous games. Even with Cappy dealing early and only down one run, it just didn't have that energy. We were even hitting the ball hard, but it was going right to someone. It just wasn't there. And when the score exploded, that was it.

I like being 5-1, don't get me wrong, but this wasn't a good loss(if there is such a thing)

Boy I hate a loss like this.

Edit: I've been one complaining about Jenkins because of his K's, but I'm not completely down on him right now for one main reason. The 4th inning and his 11 pitch at bat. Yes, he did strike out, but he fouled off 6 balls in that at bat. At that time, we needed Vargas to get that pitch count up there. Just couldn't take advantage of it.

Bad loss, but 5-1 = 5-1 (I thought we'd go 4-2 as of today)

Let''s go ruin the New Busch tomorrow with a strong outing by Ohka and some fresh bats, and lets try for a 4-5 record on that road trip.

That would put us at 9-6 coming back to play the Reds and the Braves, and then we go to Wrigley...If things go well there, we could have a 15-10 month, folks.

But before that, let's wake up those bats, and wake up Ned Yost while we're at it.

Well, today's quality of play notwithstanding, I'll take a 5-1 start. At least Detroit lost slightly sooner than the Brewers did.

Those retro uniforms are easy on the eyes (mine anyway). I hope they weren't the jinx today.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Jenkins, Clark, Fielder and Miller all have been terrible this year. I find it hard to single one out over the others. Its early in the season, some guys just take a little longer to get it going than others.

Just one of those days. The hits weren't falling in. They made Vargas work (101 pitches in six innings), and up until that four pitch walk, Cappy was excellent. Weeks dropping that ball obviously played a part in that, though.

The bats will wake up, though, hopefully some warm weather will help a little in the StL.

Geoff Jenkins is the worst 3 hitter in baseball other than aubrey huff.

No he isn't.

Well, I was at the game and I can tell you that quite a few times they smoked the ball. They were just hitting them to someone. Those will start falling in soon. Part of me wouldnt be shocked to seem them have a reall good game against the Cardinals.

Jenkins, Clark, Fielder and Miller all have been terrible this year

perhaps your opinion. But I view the latter two as having won games for the Crew.

Like I tried to state before, Jenkins looks lost up there right now, but I'm not calling for a benching, trade, etc. I'm simply stating that he looks terrible up there, as he has in the past. He'll get it going. But perhaps a few days out of the 3-hole could help him. Clark has really surprised me. He's putting the ball in play, but they're all liners right at guys. Perhaps it's some tough luck. The high fastballs are giving him problems so far. The good news is that we all pretty much know he'll finish at around .280-.300, with a nice OBP. Actually, he managed to walk twice today, so that was a good sign.

Hopefully we get a few guys hot on this trip

I don't know about all of you, but I don't think I could have stood for a repeat of 1987. As much as free hamburgers would have been nice, it would have been nerve-wracking.

At least we go into the series at New Busch with the division lead (right?)...

It's one series, but it's rough when Jenkins has no chance before the at bat has begun.

If that were actually true you you would be a very rich man.

I always hear about how batters are looking terrible during their AB, but those observations are usually more based on the result of the AB, not the actual AB. I want to know, what is the exact thing that Jenkins is going differently right now that he doesn't normally do?

but those observations are usually more based on the result of the AB, not the actual AB.

that's true. Yet Jenkins is in one of those streaks right now where a groundball out is progress. Like I've said, I'm hoping things will be better next series. Last year Lee was aweful against the Cardinals, so sometimes a team just as someone's number. As for the Pirates, you can credit them throwing two tough lefties. I just hope Jenkins starts hitting the ball, and hitting it hard, ASAP

I was at the game today...

There were a number of live balls coming off of Brewer bats today - the D'backs' 3B stole a couple of base hits with athletic leaping catches on fast line drives. There were a number of hard-hit balls (by Lee especially) that went straight to outfielders' gloves. Those hits will fall. Today was just one of those days.

The coaching was a bit frustrating. Part of me wanted to see Cappy sit, but part of me had faith that he'd fight his way out of the inning.

As for Jenkins...

I don't know about Jenkins. He is really streaky, but even when he's on a hot streak, he has a tendency to get fooled, and badly. What kills me is his salary - even when he's hot I don't think he's worth $8 million a year. Some of that could go toward Lee and some toward Davis, and give some of the young guys a shot in right, or better yet, put Hart in center and Clark back into right.

welcome aboard dave!

Jenkins is better than Lee...

just sayin'...

hehe...not starting an argument, just laughing to myself...people really don't like geoff jenkins...i don't really that much myself...but he and carlos are amazingly similar given statistics and scenario

Except of course Jenkins is a good defensive outfielder with the best arm in the game while Lee is below average with a terrible arm.

Jenkins is hitting .250 after 6 games while facing two decent left handed pitchers. I guess I don't see the huge issue right now save for the fact Jenkins can't hit left handed pitchers. But that is hardly new.

It seems that everyone is quick to get on Jenkins! Like End pointed out, he played against 2 tough lefties this week. He did make some contact today, but they had him shaded over in the infield and grounded out, twice I believe. Lets see where we are at the end of this week.

The Brewers did put some good wood on the ball at times today. Tracy made 2 great plays at 3rd to rob hits and there were at least 3 long drives to the outfield that happend to be on a rope to the outfielder. They will fall and I have a feeling once the offense gets going it's going to be a fun ride for awhile.

Actually in an ironic twist, watch them score about 10 for Sheets on Easter Sunday.

DHonks,

You've made the following comments about Jenkins in this thread:

It's one series, but it's rough when Jenkins has no chance before the at bat has begun.

Today is the first day where I've finally made comments about how terrible he looks at the plate.

Jenkins looks lost up there right now

Yet Jenkins is in one of those streaks right now where a groundball out is progress.

What have you noticed about his approach that's different than usual? You suggest it's obvious but I don't see it. What should I be looking for? This comment:

I just hope Jenkins starts hitting the ball, and hitting it hard, ASAP

...suggests that he isn't currently hitting the ball hard. That's contrasted by your comments about Clark's struggles:

He's putting the ball in play, but they're all liners right at guys. Perhaps it's some tough luck.

So Jenkins can't make good contact but Clark might just be getting unlucky? The numbers don't seem to agree with this notion. 30% of Jenkins' balls in play this year have been considered line drives (3 of 10). For Clark, only 12% have been line drives (2 of 17). In fact, Over half of Clark's total BIPs have been grounders. If anyone has been unlucky, it's Jenkins.

Jenkins' contact rate will always be lower than Clark's but when he does put the ball in play, it's usually better contact. Jenkins is and always will be a free swinger. As such, he concentrates his value over a limited number of plate appearances. I think that fact makes it difficult for people to stay objective when making obervations about him. That's why it's important to check the numbers and make sure they are in agreement.

I was at this one.

Capuano was left in two batters too long, not one. I'm sure the thought process was keep Clark hitting from his weaker right side but folks, it was obvious that Capuano was laboring big time before Clark stepped up. He basically lost control of his out pitch, the changeup. Besides, De La Rosa was up and ready in the pen if they wanted to keep a lefty in there.

Capuano's pitch count wasn't all that high, but a manager has to sometimes ignore pitch count and base a judgement on his eyes. I didn't need to see the pitch count to know that Capuano was done.

I wouldn't give the Brewer offense a pass. Sure they hit a few well that were outs, but no more than a normal game. For the most part, they could not get on top of Vargas' heat resulting in a lot of easy fly ball outs.

I was at the game (It's my fault they lost, I brought my unlucky brother in law). They did get robbed by the 3rd baseman atleast twice, and the balls just weren't falling. Obviously the score is a tad misleading, as Weeks' error gave up a ton of runs, and then they just put Fernandez in for work. Boy that knuckleball is slow as heck, I thought I was watching softball for awhile!

My opinion of Jenkins is as streaky as his hitting. One day, I love the guy even when he's slumping, the next I'm saying we should cut him http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I think SgtClueLs hit on a big thing: that Weeks error. He catches the ball and turns two, or at least just catches the ball, and it's a whole different inning.

It didn't matter in the end because the Brewers still couldn't manage to get any hits to fall, but the error was bigger than some people admit.

I do think that Cappy lost control in the late part of the inning.

Archived