Brewer Fanatic

Scary Movies

greeg35

After reading the other thread about supernatural occurrences and such, I am in the mood to watch a scary movie, the kind of movie that will give me that panicky feeling in my stomach (like I got reading RoCo's post about the Marquette building). I can't think of any good movies like that though. I'm not looking for blood and guts (that's gross to me, not scary) just a good ghost story, "odd occurance" story, or something of the like.

Favorite scary movie?

After reading the other thread about supernatural occurrences and such, I am in the mood to watch a scary movie, the kind of movie that will give me that panicky feeling in my stomach (like I got reading RoCo's post about the Marquette building). I can't think of any good movies like that though. I'm not looking for blood and guts (that's gross to me, not scary) just a good ghost story, "odd occurance" story, or something of the like.
The first movies that occur to me when reading your post are The Haunting (the 1960s version not the CGI laden remake) and Val Lewton films like Cat People (1942 not the remake) and I Walked With a Zombie. Also, Night of the Demon/Curse of the Demon (which I believe is on TCM tomorrow). Haven't seen them myself, but I've heard good things about The Innocents and Changeling (with George C. Scott not Angelina Jolie).

Robert

I was a horror movie junkie until my early 20's when I became an English major and realized most of them were awful to the point of being unwatchable. But, I did see the The Decent with the British ending in the theater. It was perhaps the best/most effective horror movie I'd seen since I was too young to rationalize away all the fear. It's best if you don't know anything about it going in (warning to those with claustrophobia).

I was a horror movie junkie until my early 20's when I became an English major and realized most of them were awful to the point of being unwatchable.
I'm not sure I'm understanding the connection between becoming an English major and your epiphany in regards to the quality of horror movies?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The Descent was great - although I'm not sure why the director went for gore. It was scary enough without it. The same director made a film called Dog Soldiers which is supposed to be pretty good.

I highly recommend The Ring. Not a lot of gore but really creepy. I'm sure the Japanese version is pretty good too (The Ring Virus)

I saw a movie in high school called I, Madman which at the time I thought was really good. But then again, I thought Halloween IV was really good back then too.

For creep factor alone, I love The Shining. Carrie is also really good.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Session 9 was pretty solid. It deals with an old abandoned building and definitely a creep factor. The Descent was one of the best horror movies of the past ten years. I don't know if I'd call Frailty a horror movie but it's got that vibe and it's a really good movie that not many have seen. Ravenous is another good one that people probably haven't seen. A few others:

Last House on the Left

Funny Games

Near Dark (not really scary but good vampire movie)

Dagon

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I was a horror movie junkie until my early 20's when I became an English major and realized most of them were awful to the point of being unwatchable.
I'm not sure I'm understanding the connection between becoming an English major and your epiphany in regards to the quality of horror movies?
I had the same reaction. I'm an English major as well. I've always been aware of the crappy acting and plots with gigantic holes are trademarks of most horror movies. Reading Milton and Faulkner weren't necessary.

Anyway. Children of the Corn always used to freak me out, but I haven't watched that in a long time.

You're right, Kat. I've seen Jacob's Ladder and it was right up my alley. Maybe I'll re-watch.

Funny that Changling is mentioned...my wife always said that was scary; but I just figured it was because she was a kid. I'm OK with The Ring, creepy is right.

Also liked The Ring (first one, the sequel sucked), and The Descent. Frailty was also a good one, though not sure I'd call it a "horror" movie. Others I've like include Creepshow, Scream, Alien, An American Werewolf in London and Angel Heart.

I've heard that Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, is about as disturbing as it gets. I doubt I'll ever watch that one.

Dog Soldiers was good, but not really creepy. It's kinda like Aliens, but with werewolves instead of Aliens.

I thought 28 Days Later was one of the best zombie movies ever, but then again, it's at times pretty gory.

Most of the time, the gory movies are a turn off to me. At a certain point, you just become numb to the buckets of blood that are splashed all over the place.

I watched Poltergeist the other night, and was amazed at how when I was 8 years old, it scared the daylights out of me. By today's standards, Poltergeist would almost be rated G. (Minus the scene where the dude rips his own face off, bit by bit)

On a side note, I'm somewhat eagerly awaiting the bigscreen version of Stephen King's "Bag of Bones", which was probably one of his best "spooky ghost stories" ever. Sadly, I'm sure the adaptation will suck.

I've heard that Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, is about as disturbing as it gets. I doubt I'll ever watch that one.

I thought it was pretty bad actually.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I am a horror movie junkie. Its just so hard to find anything that is good, maybe because I am older and the scare factor really isnt there anymore. But here are some ones I liked.

1. Pet Semetary (all-time-favorite) Zelda on the bed still creeps me out.....

2. Ring - was very good...

3. Grudge - Reminds me alot of the Ring, but another decent one

4. Dead Birds - This was a Showtime original I think, and the ending was pretty awful, but for a creepy factor, was pretty good....

5. Ammityville Horror - Just a Classic

6. Halloween - Not sure which one it was, but it was the one with the Pumpkin masks, were the TV hypnotizes them...

7. The Eye - This was subtitled and the Japanese version I seen, probably one of a handful of movies that kept me interested over the subtitles.

8. The Vanishing - Another Classic, well newer classic lol

9. Stigmata - Not really a scary movie, but one that really gets to you....Religious Horror movies really freak me out

10. Rosemarys Baby - Another Classic, still creeps me out...

I see alot of people have The Descent and personally I thought that movie was absolutely pathetic. I guess it goes to show you the difference between people on what they find scary. Classic black and white horror flicks can be pretty good, but really are based more off a suspense feeling, rather than a scary feeling. Anyways, those are some I could think of off the top of my head.

I was watching a show on Bravo TV called the '100 Scariest Movie Moments' and I'm totally unable to figure out a movie it showed. I think I've seen it, but I can't remember the title. I don't remember where on the list of 100 where it landed.

Movie clip was of a dude wearing a raincoat in a bathroom. He set a pair of scissors on the sink and positioned it so the points were facing up, wedging the scissors against the sink somehow. He then puts his hands behind his head, opens his mouth, and....

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

I love horror movies an go through phases on what I like to watch.

Stephen King's IT is so well done, right now that has to be a fav.

One that creeps me out to this day is Sleepaway Camp. Horrible movie but the ending always sticks in my mind. If you've seen it, you know what I mean.

I was watching a show on Bravo TV called the '100 Scariest Movie Moments' and I'm totally unable to figure out a movie it showed. I think I've seen it, but I can't remember the title. I don't remember where on the list of 100 where it landed.

Movie clip was of a dude wearing a raincoat in a bathroom. He set a pair of scissors on the sink and positioned it so the points were facing up, wedging the scissors against the sink somehow. He then puts his hands behind his head, opens his mouth, and....

The Dead Zone.

It occurs to me, the original Halloween is surprisingly non-gory.

Robert

BobertR stated:

It occurs to me, the original Halloween is surprisingly non-gory.

Actually, that very topic was skimmed during the 100 scariest moments I referred to earlier. Believe it or not, 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' had very little blood poured in the picture. It seems as if the director has done a good job, then things stick in our minds that never actually were to the degree we thought.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

6. Halloween - Not sure which one it was, but it was the one with the Pumpkin masks, were the TV hypnotizes them...
Halloween 3: Season of the Witch. An underrated little film that gets ripped on for having nothing to do with Mike Meyers.

Black Christmas is a great horror film that is light on gore and big on scares. Bob Clark sure knows how to make a good Christmas movie. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

i can understand the English-major point. I've got that degree, too, and it was a lot of those classes that helped me to look at speech and writing with a more-critical eye. That said, it was just a tool for me.

The scariest movies for me are the ones that have that degree of "this could happen in real life" like your Poltergeist or Exorcist and others of that ilk. Nice call on The Haunting.

• 1 year later...

Given that it's the season, I might as well bump this topic up rather than create a new one.

I have a horror movie watching party every year for Halloween. This year, two films I mentioned earlier in this topic are on the schedule; Night of the Demon and I Walked With a Zombie. Followed by a "midnight movie" which is going to be the twisted, kinky, kid killing Vampire Circus on Netflix Instant. (BTW, don't believe the PG rating.)

Robert

Archived