Brewer Fanatic

Brewers claim 3B Casey McGehee from Cubs, DFA Crazy Joe Dillon / Latest: Dillon claimed by Oakland (reply 45ish)

And That
That is the definition of showing nothing in the majors at this point. Granted he hasn't had much of a chance yet but I stand by the fact he easily could be a AAAA player give his career so far. Especially considering he is 33 this season.
I'm not disagreeing on the 4A possibility. A great '07 means he's shown something. Sustaining that something and having enough of a chance to ever do it with regularity are entirely different matters and probably a better gauge for what he might do in the long run. Be that as it may, the guy did show something.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
Dillon seems like a legitimate hitter to me, but not for a playoff team like the Brewers. He doesn't have any exceptional talents but definitely could contribute at the major league level for a bottom/mid level team.

• 2 weeks later...

BPro talked a little about this move today in the NL transactions at http://www.baseballprospe...ticle.php?articleid=8295.

They stated that they like Dillon but the move makes sense for the Brewers as McGehee can hit enough for a backup and is considered a slick fielding 3B and that he would make a pretty decent partner with Gamel should the Brewers decide to start him next year. McGehee could be a late inning defensive replacement etc.

I think a guy with a career line of 255/335 in limited and sporadic at bats is a guy that shows he can hit in the majors. Dillon reminds me of Mike Kinkade. A couple players who'd have steady major league work if they were lefties. Or if they fielded their position a bit better. It's a tough job to take the last spot on the roster then be expected to produce at every rare chance.

• 5 months later...
I've been wondering the same thing. His MiLB player page has him as a Sacramento River Cat (A's AAA team), but lists him as "reserve list (minors)". He hasn't appeared in any games yet. Rotoworld doesn't have any updates on him since he was DFA'ed to make room on the 40 man roster for Giambi. Anybody know if he's injured or what the deal is?

After he was DFA'd, he was still in Athletics' camp as an NRI. From the transactions page on the A's website:

3/16/09 Reassigned RHP Kevin Cameron, 2B Joe Dillon and RHPs James Simmons and Jerome Williams to Minor League camp.

Then I looked under their minor league affiliates and then did a search for him on milb.com and found he's on AAA Sacramento's reserve list.

LINK

Maybe that means he's retired - not sure.

• 3 weeks later...

The Rays acquired Joe Dillon from the Oakland A's to complete Friday May 8th trade in which the A's acquired infielder Adam Kennedy.

Hopefully Joe finds success in Tampa, as he joins former teammates Gabe Gross, Brian Shouse, Gabe Kapler, and Grant Balfour.

[EDIT: Moved post to this thread instead of making new one]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In 2007 Dillon had a OPS of 1.055 as a pinch hitter.

In 2008 Dillon had an OPS of .455 as a pinch hitter.

I'm fine with McGehee - but I thought Dillon gave a lot of "quality" at bats. That is certainly something the Brewers are missing on their bench this year. (Of course, Gross and Kapler also gave "quality" at bats - so Tampa much love our bench!)

Archived