Brewer Fanatic

Angels to pick up options for Guerrero, Lackey; decline option on Anderson

crewcrazy

The Associated Press is reporting that the Angels have announced they're picking up the 2009 options for Vlad Guerrero ($15 million) and John Lackey ($9 million). Not really a surprising move, but it does cut down the free agent pitcher list we're all keeping an eye on.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3669454

It might be interesting to see if the Angels extend either past the 2009 season sometime this offseason. Lackey seems like a guy they might want to keep for awhile, but Guerrero may be a bit trickier -- he'll be 33 next year and you have to think he'll be looking for one more fat contract. Money doesn't seem to be a problem with the Angels, but you never know.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Anderson's not a perfect fit due to his relatively low OBP, and the fact he's been strictly LF and DH in recent years, but he did have 9 OF assists in just 82 games, so his arm might be suitable for RF though he doesn't cover ground like he used to. He's also been a guy who's been an RBI machine his entire career (.295 career BA with RISP) and he's lefthanded which are definite needs in the Brewer lineup.

At the very least he adds to the inventory of lefthanded bats available in FA, which should help keep the prices down.

Word on the street he's been a terrible outfielder for several years. That stats, always suspicious on defense, don't bear that out. I don't want to turn this into a trade Corey Hart topic, but this is what I mean about the relative ease in replacing corner outfielders on a year by year basis. A platoon of Anderson and Kapler could be an adequate replacement if Doug had a good offer for Hart.

yeah, I would have loved to take a flyer on Anderson if he could still play the field on a regular basis. He'd look real nice in our lineup, but would probably kill us in the field.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Anderson's not a perfect fit due to his relatively low OBP, and the fact he's been strictly LF and DH in recent years, but he did have 9 OF assists in just 82 games, so his arm might be suitable for RF though he doesn't cover ground like he used to. He's also been a guy who's been an RBI machine his entire career (.295 career BA with RISP) and he's lefthanded which are definite needs in the Brewer lineup.

At the very least he adds to the inventory of lefthanded bats available in FA, which should help keep the prices down.

Anderson is old, but played 145 games last year. Worth a one-year deal, I think, and you could insert him in the #6 slot of the lineup, but Cole Gillespie may be a better OBP guy - and would be a lot cheaper.

No way on Anderson. Very poor defender, and not good enough at the plate anymore to cancel out how bad he is in the field. His rating from the Chone defensive projections (I think most defensive metrics stink on the whole, but everyone I've talked with about the Chone numbers seems pleasantly surprised with how well they meet the 'eye test') is a -14 for the corner OF. Plus, it's OBP this team needs, and Anderson sports a .327 career rate there, only bettering 30 BBs 3 times in his career. This is not the guy our team needs imo.

Guerrero may be a bit trickier -- he'll be 33 next year and you have to think he'll be looking for one more fat contract. Money doesn't seem to be a problem with the Angels, but you never know.

Am I the only one that is shocked how poorly Vlad is aging? I thought for certain his frame would hold up a heckuva lot better than it has. It's almost sad to see him run now... so far removed from the graceful athlete he once was. Though I can't see the Angels letting him get away. He will probably assume the DH role for most of 2009 & beyond -- he can still rake.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If we are talking about a one or two year stop gap outfielder than I would love for us to go after Brian Giles. He would instantly be second on the club in obp. He is a lefty, doesn't strikeout a ton and has decent defensive skills. I would much rather pay him $10 million a year over Cameron or trade Hart for other needs.

Archived