Brewer Fanatic

Nats interested in Prince?

I think something could happen here. Prince, Weeks, Hall, and Soup for Zimmerman and Cordero. It gives an overall bad team a pretty good boost. Makes them a lot more competitive. Especially is Hall and Weeks figure it out.
Yuck!

Plus Cordero is now a free agent that shows you how much the Nationals have faith in him.

Chad Cordero.

• 2 weeks later...

Is Milledge now expendable? How about John Lannan? Would they offer Nick Johnson, Milledge and Lannan for Fielder and Cameron?

No offense, but that's a pretty lousy return for Fielder, much less Fielder and Cameron. I like Lannan, but Johnson is one of the most least reliable players in the MLB, and Milledge certainly isn't making the most of his opportunities so far.

I'd come up with a counter-offer, but I'm having a hard time doing so. The Nationals were a bad team for good reason: They're really lacking in talent. Even the most talented players in their system have some serious warts. Ryan Zimmerman is really the only player I would feel confident getting in return, and even he missed significant playing time last year due to a shoulder injury and is going to be arbitration eligible.

Jim Bowden is one of the most unpredictable, not to mention one of the worse, GMs I have ever followed, but even then I would be surprised if he parted with Zimmerman, who is a huge fan favorite to the DC sports region.

It looks like the Nats are really trying to retool their offense, obviously it wouldn't make sense to downgrade 3rd by trading RZ for Prince. I suppose if they think the upgrade at 1st would be higher than the downgrade from RZ to say Bill Hall they might still be inclined to trade RZ, but that seems unlikely. Zimmerman is literally the only guy on thier current roster that intrigues me and he didn't have much of a year last year. (Although can you really blame him with the lineup he was playing in?).

I suppose Zimmerman and Lannan would be a decent starting point. Steven Shell might be a bullpen guy to go after as well. If they would take Bill Hall's salary I think I would do Zimm, Lannan, Shell, and a prospect for Prince and Hall. I am not sure if that really improves the Nats though.

Archived