Brewer Fanatic

Rock Band / Guitar Hero compatibility (Xbox 360)

Brian the Automator

• 4 weeks later...

OK dudes....

I have a Rock Band wii question.

I want to buy RB for my kids for Xmas... I notice that I have 2 options.

1.) Buy RB Special Edition for ~$99 today

2.) Wait until ~Jan. 5th to get RB2... for ~$189 Apparently the equipment is better/more durable.

I really don't care about the song lists, but I am more concerned about the hardware... Is the RB2 hardware worth waiting for, and better than the current RB "Special Edition" package?

Thanks!

I also have a question. I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff..

My son has PS2. He would like Guitar Hero for Christmas. However, he also stated that we would really like Rock Band, but he didn't think it was available in a PS2 format. Is that correct? Also, is there anything about buying Guitar Hero that I should know about?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

So here's the deal ... Looking to get a set of instruments for my 360 that work with all versions of Guitar Hero (including World Tour) and Rock Band. Are there any that are completely compatible between the two serieses of games?

http://kotaku.com/5086709...ompatibility-chart-update

(From the comments on the site, it appears to be an imperfect chart, but it gives you a basic idea.)

Is World Tour better than Rock Band?

Much like the RB guitar v. GH guitar arguments, it's largely a matter of who you talk to. On the PS3, I prefer Rock Band, because I have been able to pick up so many songs that I like via the online store. Also, Rock Band on PS3/360 allows you to export nearly all your songs from the first game for use in RB2 (don't really know about that feature on Wii or PS2; RB1 doesn't have access to the online tracks, because of the lack of storage space on the Wii/PS2. They release the downloadable content in "track pack" discs that work with the game, if memory serves.)

My original RB guitar had to be replaced about a week after I bought the game, and the one they replaced it with has issues with the tilt sensor (registering 'overdrive' / star power). I bought a second guitar for multiplayer, and use that most of the time....only to have to replace a broken spring on the whammy bar (I actually prefer the feel of the rubber band I put in the spring's place). The original RB instruments had a high defect rate, while the GH3 guitar seemed to work much better. This year, I've heard far more problems/issues with the GH:WT equipment than RB2 instruments. That said, most people with experience playing both seem to prefer the GH:WT drums to RB1 or 2's set.

Is World Tour better than Rock Band?
Depends what you are looking to do. Set list is very important when choosing the games, remember the Wii doesn't allow down loadable content so you have to wait for the tracks to be released on DVD. Personally I like Rock Band. Rock Band plays more like real guitars (They attempt to mimic the movements you do when you play the real thing) while Guitar Hero hard stuff just attempts to make it freaking hard by adding fake and shadow notes.

I have yet to play GHWT drums, but you may consider waiting for the next generation of the instruments as the RB drums aren't the greatest, and LOUD. I've had to replace my RB Guitar once already (Double sensing strums). But I really enjoy the game over Guitar Heros.

I also have a question. I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff..

My son has PS2. He would like Guitar Hero for Christmas. However, he also stated that we would really like Rock Band, but he didn't think it was available in a PS2 format. Is that correct? Also, is there anything about buying Guitar Hero that I should know about?

The thing I guess I'd be most worried about, is how long PS2 will be available, and what features you can lose by not having it on another system. By no means am I saying go out and get a Wii, X Box, or PS3, but even though I already had Guitar Hero for PS2, I asked for World Tour for the Wii in order to store made up songs, and download more songs and whatever else.

I guess it's a tough call, I appreciate that PS2 isn't forcing you to buy a new system right of the bat, but with PS3 available now, you'd think PS2 would become obsolete in the next 6 months. It's very similar to when Nintendo introduced Super NES, imo.

Also, I haven't gotten to play the drums for Guitar Hero, but being a drummer, I liked Guitar Hero's drum set up much better than Rock Bands. The pads are fairly small on Rock Band, and from left to right it goes something like Snare, Cymbal, Tom, Cymbal. Which isn't really how drums are set up. Guitar Hero installed the cymbals above the drums to give you a better sense of playing real drums. Again, I can't confirm the game play on the GH drums. Just what I read and saw.

The thing I guess I'd be most worried about, is how long PS2 will be available, and what features you can lose by not having it on another system. By no means am I saying go out and get a Wii, X Box, or PS3, but even though I already had Guitar Hero for PS2, I asked for World Tour for the Wii in order to store made up songs, and download more songs and whatever else.

I guess it's a tough call, I appreciate that PS2 isn't forcing you to buy a new system right of the bat, but with PS3 available now, you'd think PS2 would become obsolete in the next 6 months. It's very similar to when Nintendo introduced Super NES, imo.

Also, I haven't gotten to play the drums for Guitar Hero, but being a drummer, I liked Guitar Hero's drum set up much better than Rock Bands. The pads are fairly small on Rock Band, and from left to right it goes something like Snare, Cymbal, Tom, Cymbal. Which isn't really how drums are set up. Guitar Hero installed the cymbals above the drums to give you a better sense of playing real drums. Again, I can't confirm the game play on the GH drums. Just what I read and saw.

This reminds me of something else I ought to point out: Rock Band 1 (and presumably 2) use the exact same equipment for the PS2 and PS3 instruments; the second guitar I bought indicated on the box that it would work with both systems. I know that, at least previously, that kind of forward-compatability did not exist for GH3 (haven't heard anything about GH:WT). I don't think you can upload RB1 songs for use in RB2 - like you could with the PS3 versions - but it's better than buying a whole new plastic band.

And, just to point it out, the Rock Band 2 drums allow you to buy cymbal attachments that can be attached above the kit and used like the GHWT cymbals; there is no port to attach cymbals to the RB1 kit (which I am fine with).

So all this talk of Rock Band made me go out and bite the bullet and pick up RB2 last night. Just the game with my RB1 equipment, but I played the stuff at the store. (Yeah I'm a loser). I would def say that the drums are worth the RB2 kit (if you are thinking fo waiting). The pads are much much quieter. RB1 has very loud pads, everything else seemed the same.

RB2 format is a lot cooler, except I do not care for the solo tour play style. It's like the world tour, just by yourself. So you have all these set lists to beat, and you end up lpaying the same song 5 times at one location. It's very annoying. RB1 songs import was easy, used 1.6 gigs of data space roughly and cost about 5 bucks. All the DLC content moved over. There's a ton to do in RB2, but I just don't know how I feel about the single player aspect.

Played a bit of GH WT. The slider part of the guitar seems cool, but kind of out of place. Maybe you get used to it.

The pads are much much quieter. RB1 has very loud pads, everything else seemed the same.

I bought the drum silencer pads; it's basically like adding adhesive mousepads on top of your drum pads. I think I get better rebound now, and they're definitely quieter. The biggest advantage to the RB2 drum kit is the metal-plated pedal....I'm worried about the pedal on mine snapping at some point.

So you have all these set lists to beat, and you end up lpaying the same song 5 times at one location. It's very annoying.
Just because you have sets in that town that would require you to play the same songs....doesn't mean you have to jump from set to set. Once you have enough starts that the game starts to open up for you, I rarely play back-to-back sets in the same venue. Also, the Tour Challenges are a great way to start unlocking all the songs in the game; added bonus: you get achievement points / trophies / special equipment for going completing the top-tier challenges. The game is even smart enough to give you additional challenges based on any DLC you've purchased (including the songs exported from RB1). Challenge events don't unlock new tour venues, but you do still get cash for your rocker.

Bikeage77 wrote:

This thread has been very helpful. I didn't even realize that Guitar Hero had a drums option, or that RB2 would be available for PS2 on Dec 9th. However, after further research. I have seen other release dates listed (12/17 and 12/22). Which date is correct and where is the safest place to reserve a copy to ensure I get it before X-mas?

Also, it appears the song list for RB2 is bigger than RB. Is this correct? Also, it sounds like it's more difficult or maybe impossible to add songs to the PS2 version.

Researching prices, this is what I'm coming up with. Please let me know if these are about right or if you think I will be paying more or if you think I could get these things for cheaper. If I can get them cheaper...where? Remember these are all for PS2

RB2 - $50

Drums - $50

Guitar - $60

Microphone - $60

Is there any other accessories that you would recomend? My biggest worry is that I'm going to buy something that's not compatible with PS2 because I don't know what I'm doing. Where do all these things plug in on the PS2? There are only two control ports, but three "instruments" (Drums, Guitar, Microphone).

Thanks for any help you can offer up.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I didn't even realize that Guitar Hero had a drums option,

I don't understand why GH puts the cymbals where they did -- I think only the drummer from DEVO would find them useful. RB's cymbals seem to be in more traditional locations.

However, after further research. I have seen other release dates listed (12/17 and 12/22).

I know for the WII you can buy the drums/guitar/mic/game separately on Dec. 17th, and then the $180 bundle is available on Jan. 5th -- perhaps it is something similar for the PS2.

From what I can tell, RB has a more vast offering of music than GH, including some Tull.

GH WT is very new, so I'm sure their catalog will increase. Rock Band has been releasing tracks every Tuesday for a year now, so they've got a really big head start. I'm not sure who are all in the pipes for GH, but I do want to play Tool, so some day I will be picking it up. Perhaps if I get some gift certs at xmas.

And I'm totally jazzed about the Beatles picking Harmonix/Rock Band for their game, I'm jazzed about that. But I don't think it'll be DLC, it'll be a complete new game.

Ok here's my biggest complaint. I play Expert drums and Guitar. You do the Showcase stuff or Mystery set list, and it picks the hardest stuff ever even if it's my first showcase.

For instance, I did the thing for the Merchandise chick. First track, Sweet Leaf barely pass, then BYOB by System of a Down.. I just gave up. I can't beat that song at all. If it was a mix of expert mid level stuff like I'm working through unlocking it wouldn't be a problem. But going from playing Blondie in the catagory to some of the hardest tracks is a bit lame.

I just went to the gaming store in the Grand Avenue mall (I forget the name...EBgames?). I started asking questions regarding Rock Band II for PS2. The guy told me that the individual game will be released December 22nd, but the bundle is already out? However, he said that they were already sold out and I could not reserve one? I was really unsure if this guy had any clue to what he was talking about and seemed more interested in checking out the female clientele than answering my questions. Anyone who has ever visited the Grand Avenue Mall can appreciate the wonderful service you get at their wide variety of shops.

So, when I got back to work, I decided to call Game Stop out in Delafield. The guy I talked to seemed to be more knowledgeable and more willing to answer my questions. He stated that he believed RB2 for PS2 would be released on Dec 10th, although he admitted that he was not 100% sure of that. He also said that they canceled the RB2 bundle for PS2. He suggested that my best bet (and cheapest bet) would be to buy the original RB bundle for $110 and then I could purchase RB2 for $50 when it came out. Does this sound correct?

Never, ever trust what anyone at Gamestop/EB Games(same company) says, especially around the holidays when they have a bunch of temps working. The game nows ships Dec 22.

If you want, one of Wal Mart's doorbuster's this Friday is an Arcade 360+ GHIII for $199.

• 1 month later...
I just got GH: World Tour for Wii yesterday from my sister and soon to be brother-in-law. I actually have never played any of these games before...which is funny because I play bass in real life. Just never had the chance to pick it up before. I played this morning, and boy, I'm not all that great, even on the easy level. I'm sure I'll get better with practice though. It's pretty fun.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived