Brewer Fanatic

Fantasy Baseball: 2008-09 Offseason

BrewCrewForever

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in a 11 team, NL only keeper league. The league first formed in 1984 after some of us were gathered around a table in our high school library reading a small article about something called "Rotiseree Baseball" formed by some guys in New York. It sounded like fun, so we started our own league. Little did we know at the time that fantasy sports would explode into such a hugh phenomina. We started out as an AL only league with 6 owners. We switched over to the NL when the Brewer's changed leagues. Three or the six original owners (including me) are still in the league. Many of the other owners have been around for 10+ years. When we first started, we did all our stats by hand using the USA today (which would publish MLB stats once a week). The standings would get mailed (yes, mailed, not emailed) out once a month if we were lucky. Eventually we switched to some fantasy baseball software (There use to be tons of ads for this type of software in "Baseball Weekly") and then to an internet based provider. We have been using CBS Sportsline for the last 10+ (?) years.

The biggest problem I have with most fanstasy web sites and pre season fantasy magazines is that they are geared towards mixed, non-keeper leagues with not as many owners. The dollar values they give for players at times are laughable. We tend to spend much more on big name players at the draft. Several reasons for this. The main one being that in a keeper league, players get picked up during the season that get $5 contracts and end up becoming bargins. So, now you have teams that have "extra" money to spend because they have 4 or 5 "bargain" players on their team that they are keeping. In addition, what some of these sites label as sleepers, do not even come close to it in our league. When you have a 11 teams with 23 players per team and are only using one league, you end up with guys like Brad Ausmus and Craig Counsell on rosters. The "sleepers" are long gone.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

We should start up a keeper league this offseason at Brewerfan.net to help us get through those cold Wisconsin winter nights.
I might be down with that as well.

Patrick425, great story. That is crazy that you have been playing since 1984 and used USA Today and regular mail to run the league. Being someone who works in radio, that reminds me of the "old" days of radio. Much more work then there is today, like fantasy sports.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
MLB.com's has a Tuesday & Thursday Fantasy 411 podcast discussing fantasy baseball. It will help carry me through the long winter. I would also expect them to have some presence on the new MLB channel.

• 2 weeks later...
According to rotowire's website their 2009 magazine is in stores now. Anyone seen it? Hanley Ramirez is on the cover. I got their magazine last year and really liked it as a tool to use for my draft they let me know that Dioner Navarro would be a sleeper at catcher and the same for Joakim Soria at closer.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

In the BF.net keeper league we will be having an opening (afeter is a quitter!). I will post his roster a little later so keep that in mind if you are interested. This will be our third year and I believe we have 7 of the original owener so it's a preyy good league.

Hey guys. I would be interested in participating, if there is still room.

I will preface by saying that I am basically a total newb when it comes to this stuff. I did one fantasy league online years ago, but haven't done fantasy baseball in several years. I would love to get back in, though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived