Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks Thread 2008–2009 (part 1)

danzig6767

It didn't take to long for people to post they didn't care about the NBA or didn't like it...

I didn't want this thread to take that course because I want to discuss Bucks basketball, but a lot of the disenchantment with the NBA, particularly in the Milwaukee-area, is derived from the 2001 Eastern Conference Finals. I don't know why the NBA allowed its officials to eject a key player (Big Dog) in a pivotal Game 4, and the Scott Williams suspension still makes my blood boil. That type of "meddling" deep into the postseason is unheard of in other major sports. Man, we would have given the Lakers a run for their money...

Tonight's game was encouraging. Winning decisively on the road in the NBA, no matter the opponent, is a noteworthy feat. A balanced scoring attack, good D, sharing the basketball ... I might just go to the game Saturday!

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weren't there reports last year about Redd moving the ball very good in practice but it would never happen in an actual game at all. I don't get Redd at all some times he dishes the ball a lot around the court and then other nights he doesn't pass the ball at all and will take nearly every shot when he thinks he is open. So frustrating to watch Redd play. One night he is one way and another night he plays completely differently.

Ridnour is looking to be at least a serviceable PG for this year I wouldn't want to have him for any longer than this or next season. I didn't get to watch the game tonight and I haven't checked the box score other than Redd's and Bogut's numbers since I have them on some of my fantasy teams. Did Sessions get to play more tonight?

I like that the young Bruin is continuing to hustle his bum off for Skiles, and that he's being rewarded for the elbow grease. I actually think we're going to be good this year...like 4-5 seed good. I think Mo is going to cause a riot in CLE with his ball-hogging, and I really wonder how much longer the Pistons can keep up their Braves-like dominance. The Bulls have no size, but Derrick Rose will probably just make lemonade and they could be dangerous in the beginning and the end of the season, though they'll crawl through the meaty part, especially the Circus Road Trip. And as for Indy...while I have Granger on my fantasy basketball team, it's only because there is no one in the backcourt to take away his shots and honestly, I think they're going to be playing from behind a lot. As for my Bucks...I'll give #13 another week to begin to look like a Marino of the halfcourt. I'm excited about Jefferson, but more out of necessity. And Bogut, while looking like Ahman Green in the rain with the ball (9TO...and he only attempted 4 shots in the first game), he is also showing a presence in the paint, at least from the backside (though he still does seem to lack a backside), though he hasn't really had any scary offenders in his territory outside of Noah's offensive hairdo.

Seriously what is with all the touch fouls Bogut has been getting the first 2 games. In 2 of his first 3 fouls there really wasn't anything there.

Overall a much better game, although OKC is not going to be very good at all. Ridnour has been a little dissappointing but he is dealing with back spasms. I am really suprised that Sessions and Alexander are getting no playing time at all. I was under the impression that Alexander would at least be in the rotation but obviously Skiles thinks he has some work to do yet.

I thought Alexander was supposed to be someone that could step in and at least pick up a few minutes a game right away. I dont' think he's even left the bench yet. Granted, it's only been 2 games but I'm a bit disappointed that we took a college junior (I think he was a junior at least) and he can't even crack a rotation that somehow warrants Dan Gadzuric numerous minutes of playing time.

Seriously what is with all the touch fouls Bogut has been getting the first 2 games. In 2 of his first 3 fouls there really wasn't anything there.

I agree.

I know it was mentioned during the game last night, but it was nice to see the offense go through Bogut a bit. I know some will disagree with how good Bogut is or isn't, but he was getting doubled a few times leaving open jump shots for the perimeter guys.

OKC is...not good.

I'd expect Alexander to play more as the year goes on. Maybe I'm wrong, but at this point (only 2 games) I like the rotation in one aspect; Skiles is getting minutes out of his roster spots. I thought one of the big downfalls last year is Larry played his 7 or 8 guys and that was that. The one 'big' tool a coach has is playing time. Throw that in with trying to find some role that has value and those things alone will make this team better.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Did Sessions get to play more tonight?
Sessions was inactive according to the box score.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It looks like Lue and Bell will get all of the minutes at the backup PG spot to start the season. So far the only guys used off the bench have been Gadz, Allen, Lue, Bell, and LRMAM. I wonder if Croshere will see any minutes after he get some practice time in?

The craziest thing I have seen thus far is the fact that Dan Gadzuric has developed a jump shot, and looks a lot more confident on the offensive end.

It might take some time for Alexander to be worked into the rotation, I think Skiles wants him to figure out the offense, as he basically stated during the preseason that he is lost out there. I think he will eventually play a decent size role off the bench.

I'm surprised that Sessions has been a DNP-CD for the first two games, although Lue and Ridnour seem to be holding down the point pretty well. Unless it is necessary for him to play, I'd like to see Sessions stay on the bench for the time being - he's very talented, as we saw last year, but he's also incredibly raw as an NBA player. I've been pleased with the way the Bucks have been playing so far, as they seem far less sluggish in comparison to last year, but we need to keep Bogut out of foul trouble. He really seems to be a big part of our offensive and defensive success, even if he's not the focal point.

I'm surprised that Sessions has been a DNP-CD for the first two games, although Lue and Ridnour seem to be holding down the point pretty well. Unless it is necessary for him to play, I'd like to see Sessions stay on the bench for the time being - he's very talented, as we saw last year, but he's also incredibly raw as an NBA player. I've been pleased with the way the Bucks have been playing so far, as they seem far less sluggish in comparison to last year, but we need to keep Bogut out of foul trouble. He really seems to be a big part of our offensive and defensive success, even if he's not the focal point.

According to the box score, Sessions was DNP - Inactive for yesterday. Not a coach's decision:

http://jsonline.stats.com...25&home=25&vis=15

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I was talking with somebody about the Knicks and where they should trade Eddy Curry. Guy jokingly brings up the Bucks but it got me thinking. Dan Gadzuric and Damon Jones for Eddy Curry? He'd be an expensive backup but would be better than what we got by alot. Don't know what Skiles would think about it though.

I was talking with somebody about the Knicks and where they should trade Eddy Curry. Guy jokingly brings up the Bucks but it got me thinking. Dan Gadzuric and Damon Jones for Eddy Curry? He'd be an expensive backup but would be better than what we got by alot. Don't know what Skiles would think about it though.
Damon Jones is not on the team though he was released awhile back.

nate82, from that very link:

The Bucks said both parties would explore options to help the 10-year veteran reach that goal.

He's also still on the Bucks.com roster and actually now has a jersey assigned to him (#19). I checked a few days ago and he didn't have a number assigned. I'm not saying he'll actually play for the Bucks, but it appears he's still Bucks property. Jones is one of the 15 players limited by the NBA rules. I think the ESPN report stated he was 'on his own' in terms of working out and getting himself ready. I don't think he has a ton of value, but I guess we'll see. I think it's interesting they agreed to part ways. Does this mean he's Bucks property and doesn't get paid? I'd have to imagine that's the only way the Bucks would agree to him not reporting.

nate82, from that very link:

The Bucks said both parties would explore options to help the 10-year veteran reach that goal.

He's also still on the Bucks.com roster and actually now has a jersey assigned to him (#19). I checked a few days ago and he didn't have a number assigned. I'm not saying he'll actually play for the Bucks, but it appears he's still Bucks property. Jones is one of the 15 players limited by the NBA rules. I think the ESPN report stated he was 'on his own' in terms of working out and getting himself ready. I don't think he has a ton of value, but I guess we'll see. I think it's interesting they agreed to part ways. Does this mean he's Bucks property and doesn't get paid? I'd have to imagine that's the only way the Bucks would agree to him not reporting.

That link is very confusing and it doesn't say much of anything. I just assumed he was released when I read that. It is very vague in its wording and leaves more questions than answers really. I'm guessing this means he gets to choose where he goes and I don't think he would want to go to the Knicks.

That link is very confusing and it doesn't say much of anything. I just assumed he was released when I read that. It is very vague in its wording and leaves more questions than answers really. I'm guessing this means he gets to choose where he goes and I don't think he would want to go to the Knicks.

Oh I agree totally. I just think since he's on the Bucks roster he's their property and they would have to trade him, but I'm not 100% sure. I would imagine if the Bucks only have 15 spots and released Jones he wouldn't be there. My guess is he's 'inactive' in terms of pay, but in the end he'll be traded for a 2nd round pick or a small part of a big trade. I guess I don't see why Bucks would agree with this if he's on the roster AND they're paying him. They could very easily suspend him and not pay, which leads me to believe he's on the Bucks and will be traded soon or agrees to be let go without money.

When the trade was reported, everybody was saying that Jones won't end up playing for the Bucks. I don't recall hearing an explanation for that, I just assumed he had an expiring contract. Apparently that's not the case, but I am curious as to why both sides are so dead-set on him not playing. Couldn't they mutually agree to terminate the contract? Or is that one of those things the player's union wouldn't allow?

Damon Jones is listed in the box score as DNP - Inactive. So he's still on the roster.

We could buy him out, but that'd be stupid on our part. If there's a trade that comes up near the deadline but we need filler salary and we cut Jones, then we would look pretty stupid.

Ah yes, good point. I just love NBA trades.

Archived