Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks Thread 2008–2009 (part 1)

danzig6767
I agree with twobrews; Bucks mgmt might have decided to give it a go with what they have and see if they can get in. Certainly would help with most of the fan base.

An 8th seed and quick playoff exit and losing CV and our 1st for nothing in the offseason while bringing back the same team next year (minus CV and a 1st) will piss the fan base off and make them even more disinterested in the Bucks.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
trwi7...I didn't say it was the best plan, but from the Senator's point of view, he might be saying he wants a playoff run. Trying to do so doesn't have to equal a loss of CV or the pick.

Keeping the roster that we have right now absolutely means that we lose CV and our 1st. I'd love for you to explain how it doesn't.

I saw last night's game and all I could think was, "Thank you, RJ, for upping your value enough at the deadline." He scores 30+ per night while we lose, assuring us of being sellers today. We couldn't sell while we were on a winning streak. But now, we're L1, and hopefully know CV's and Sessions' asking prices in advance.

Agreed that a deal now might increase the value of RJ, et al. However, a viable trade can be done off-season.

Sen. Kohl could pay the revenue tax too. Never know. He was on WKTY a few days ago and didn't dismiss going over the limit.

From what I gather, RJ is staying. The hang-up with the Blazers was over the Bucks including a first (or Sessions). I doubt the Spurs could put together a package for RJ without breaking up their nucleus and/or "team". As for the Cavs? Could still happen but do we really want it to happen? With Portland, we were getting back pieces (Outlaw and Rodriguez) on top of the expiring deal (with all the contrat being paid). With Cleveland, all they can give us would be Wally (who we still would have to pay) and maybe Boobie or Sideshow Bob.

Kohl is going to have to go over the Luxury Tax cap now, or else we won't have enough players to fill a roster. If all of our free space (probably about $5m) goes to Sessions, that leaves us with:

Redd

Jefferson

Bogut

Mbah a Moute

Sessions

Bell

Ridnour

Elson

Alexander

Gadzuric

Allen

Only 11 players, and Redd won't be back at the start of the season. Either we go over the tax, or we're going to have to trade Jefferson for someone slightly cheaper in order to afford roster filler like Eddie Gill.

edit: I suppose we could also trade RJ (or someone) for spare parts, forgot about that.

I think the Bucks will be able to sign CV and Sessions. Or at least one of them. With CV, they just have to do a contract similar to Bogut's. Pick up the qualifying option and extend him after that. So the big money will kick in 2010/11 when the team has $55 million ($16 million less than now) in salaries. The question is more with Sessions as to how much that'll take. If it's $5 to $7 million a year they can do that and then dump salary at next year's deadline. Now I know this would put them at a cap number higher than they want for next year based on Sessions, but there's plenty that can happen in the off-season or during the season to shed contracts.

Sessions is the priority in my opinion. CV is the definition of "contract year performance." We see how others can step in and fill the scoring void. Defense isn't exactly CV's strenght. So what what be missing? Rebounds maybe, but I really think the two rooks can step up next year and give you as much, if not more, than what CV is putting up now.

Archived