Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks Thread 2008–2009 (part 1)

danzig6767
That might be true, but it sure seems that teams tend to find a way to get by w/o a top-notch 4 but can't be successful unless they can lock down the point. I know the Bucks seem to have had issues over the years getting a body @ the #1 but for the most part have had #3's and #4's.

Yep, that was my thought.

I wonder if this crazy trade idea would work. Something more would have to be going to the Clippers though maybe a draft pick I'm not sure. But for the trade itself Stoudemire and Gordon to the Bucks, Gadzuric and a 2nd round draft pick to the Clippers, Villanueva Elson Jones and Davis to the Suns. NBA Trade Machine link.

The Suns are looking to trade Stoudemire and Shaq for salary cap relief. This trade alone wouldn't help the Bucks resign Sessions though but if the Bucks do this trade with the Cavs the Bucks should be able to shed enough salary to sign Sessions to a long term contract. Probably won't happen because of the players being traded for each other. I believe the Suns would be the biggest winners in the trade with all the expiring contracts they would be getting. The Bucks would also get one expiring contract and Amare would only be with the Bucks for next year because he will opt out of that contract. I'm not sure the Clippers would do this deal though and that would be the deal breaker.

The first trade doesn't make much sense for the Clippers, but the second seems alright for everyone.

How about Gadz, CV and Damon Jones to the Lakers for Lamar Odom?

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mo Williams is also playing extremely well at Cleveland, he looks like he was the missing piece over there. He always showed glimpses with the Bucks but he is playing like a Top 5 PG over there

Mo isn't really playing any better in Cleveland than he did with us. He's just benefiting from getting a ton of open looks from Lebron and having guys on the team who can handle the ball. Mo's always been a very good shooter, but he's not a true PG. Cleveland, or a team like the Lakers, were a perfect fit for him.

I wonder if this crazy trade idea would work. Something more would have to be going to the Clippers though maybe a draft pick I'm not sure. But for the trade itself Stoudemire and Gordon to the Bucks, Gadzuric and a 2nd round draft pick to the Clippers, Villanueva Elson Jones and Davis to the Suns.

That trade is pretty unrealistic. The Bucks are easily getting the two best players in the deal, and giving up garbage in return (except CV).

I do agree with you that the Bucks need a Gordon type player to pair with Sessions, but the only way you can get a guy like that is through the draft, or a trade if you have expirings for the 2010 offseason. Gordon, Mayo, and Westbrook all would have been terrific fits with Sessions, and all of them are studs. We should have definitely traded up to the Knicks 6 spot last year. They could have still drafted Gallinari at 8.

That trade is pretty unrealistic. The Bucks are easily getting the two best players in the deal, and giving up garbage in return (except CV).
Maybe a 1st round pick to the Clippers from the Bucks and a 2nd round coming in from the Suns would make the deal work. Yes the Bucks are getting the two best players in the deal but the Suns are looking to dump salary. The Clippers would be getting the raw end of the deal but if they get a 1st and a 2nd round pick for this then the deal could go through.

The Suns are really looking into getting out of Stoudemire's and Shaq's contract. I'm not sure who the Suns would be able to trade with to get rid of Shaq though. What the Suns are getting in this deal is a lot of salary cap relief all of the players they have coming in would be expiring contracts. This would free up a lot of salary cap space for the 2009 and 2010 free agency class.

The Clippers have no reason to trade Eric Gordon, he has been extrememely good for them.
I revised the trade and made it more friendly to the Clippers a little bit at least the Clippers would still need a draft pick coming their way though. Either two second round picks or one first round pick. The Bucks might have to send a 1st round pick to the Suns though or they would have to exchange 1st round picks to fix the imbalance but I believe the expiring contracts that the Suns will be receiving more than makes up for the lack of talent.

Bucks send: Gadzuric to the Clippers; Jones, Villanueva, and Elson to the Suns

Clippers send: Camby to the Suns

Suns send: Stoudemire to the Bucks; Dudley and Tucker to the Clippers.

The Heat trade Marion and Marcus Banks to the Raptors for O'Neal and Jamario Moon.

Rather even trade here. Talent wise the Raptors got the most upside with Marion but he hasn't been the same since leaving the Suns. I'll give the Raptors the edge because they get Marion's expiring contract.

This is what I hate about the NBA trades are more about getting rid of contracts than it is about acquiring players. The Heat should have gotten more for the talent that they gave up. These trades just don't make sense especially the Gasol trade last year Memphis got garbage in return for salary cap relief. I just don't get the NBA anymore.

Forgot to add the link to the trade. ESPN reports Heat and Raptors trade......

I don't know if I would call the Raptors the winners here. Marcus Banks has an onerous contract and is said to be a cancer in the locker room. Jamario and O'Neal are supposedly very good characters, and the two best shot-blockers on the Raptors. I don't really see how this deal helps either team. Marcus Banks is sure to be a malcontent going from South Beach to north of the border. Marion doesn't get to showcase his game in a primetime market. O'Neal is liable to fall just short of the injury-insurance threshold (much like Sheets has done to us) and Moon....well Moon to me always seemed like a poor man's Marion, but does this trade really help them? Moon is almost as old as O'Neal and he's only in his second year!

That could turn the franchise's future from gloomy to bright very, very fast. Sounds too good to be true.

I don't want to get too excited, but we could have a core of Bogut, LRMAM, CV and Sessions resigned at reasonable contracts, Joe Alexander, 3 draft picks from this coming draft, and Ilyasova by this time next week.

Sessions > Ridnour

Jefferson has a crappy contract.

It is a good deal and I don't know much about the players coming this way but if I don't know much about them I assume that to mean they are nothing special.

So this would be another of these cap deals. Are the Portland contracts expiring?

Raef Lafrentz has a huge expiring deal (13 million), and we wouldn't have to pay for the rest of his salary this season because he is injured and insurance would cover it. Travis Outlaw is an athletic 3/4, that has been playing well as of late, from what I've seen of him he can bring instant offense, but is not a good passer. Sergio Rodriguez was Portlands 1st round pick in 06' and is a 23 year old pg from Spain who is thought to be a pretty good pg prospect.

The great thing about this deal is that it would allow us to resign Villanueva and Sessions, and possibly Ersan Ilyasova, who is playing great for Barcelona in Spain. I would love for this deal to happen, even w/out the 1st round pick. It would definitely benefit both teams.

That could turn the franchise's future from gloomy to bright very, very fast. Sounds too good to be true.

I don't want to get too excited, but we could have a core of Bogut, LRMAM, CV and Sessions resigned at reasonable contracts, Joe Alexander, 3 draft picks from this coming draft, and Ilyasova by this time next week.

I'd love this trade and for the first time in awhile, i'd have some real hope that the Bucks actually have a real direction, even if it will take time because of the youth. Then the following year Redd would finally be an expiring contract, i can't wait for the day he's no long a Buck. Gadzuric would also be coming off the cap the same year.

Bell's contract also expires the same year as Redd's and Gadzuric's (and Jefferson's). It will be great to be out from under those contracts.

Anyway, I really hope this Portland trade goes through. If it does, it'll be like Christmas morning. They could solve most of their problems with that one deal. They get 3 better players by trading RJ (assuming Ersan come back), no matter who they actually get in return for him.

Here's an interesting take on the NBA All-Star Weekend:

If you were to examine the list of participants in the Rookie / Sophomore Game, PlayStation Skills Challenge, 3-Point Shootout, Slam Dunk Contest, and the NBA All-Star Game (injury replacements included),

You would find that:

- The Milwaukee Bucks are one of only 7 teams who do not have a participant in the NBA All-Star Weekend.

- The Milwaukee Bucks and the Utah Jazz are the only 2 playoff teams without a single participant in the NBA All-Star Weekend.

- 8 teams with worse records than the Milwaukee Bucks have participants in the NBA All-Star Weekend.

- 8 teams with worse records than the Milwaukee Bucks have 2+ entries in the NBA All-Star Weekend.

I realize that the Milwaukee Bucks are not a premiere NBA franchise (not yet, anyway), but you couldn't throw them a bone, David Stearn? Come on- there were more WNBA players invited to Phoenix! It's not like there is a shortage of qualified Bucks. Ramon Sessions is 2nd in assists and 8th in scoring among NBA sophomores. LRMAM is arguably the best rookie defender in the league. Plus, Joe Alexander can throw down more than his ping pong and cookie dunking videos let on.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Who are the other six teams that don't have representation?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Then the following year Redd would finally be an expiring contract, i can't wait for the day he's no long a Buck. Gadzuric would also be coming off the cap the same year.

I never can understand the hate for Redd. He's not a complete player, but my guess is there are several NBA teams that would take him over what they have. I know I'm in the minority, but I'd actually bring the guy back after his contract expires or at least let him know that the Bucks are still interested. I wouldn't give him a max contract and by me saying I'd want him back it also has to be a deal that 'makes sense'. The Bucks biggest problem is that they have really never developed a post presence. I really like Bogut, but they haven't ran the offense through him/he's been hurt. If the Bucks ever had a post presence, Redd would be a perfect player for that team.

It's not like there is a shortage of qualified Bucks.

Redd would be there if not hurt. Rumors were that he'd be playing the actual game itself and maybe the the 3 point contest.

The salary dump is dumb in my mind. They are freeing up salary for 2010 only to sign someone that they in the end will try to dump anyway.

They aren't dumping salary to sign a free agent, they are dumping salary to re-sign Sessions and Villanueva, both of whom are currently better than Jefferson. If they are able to dump Ridnour as well, they might be able to bring back Ersan Ilyasova, who they still have the rights to. The Bucks are right up against the luxury tax limit next year and Sessions and CV are both free agents. Think of it along the lines of dumping Suppan to be able to re-sign Sabathia.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"They aren't dumping salary to sign a free agent, they are dumping salary to re-sign Sessions and Villanueva, both of whom are currently better than Jefferson."

You could make an argument that Travis Outlaw is better than Jefferson right now.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived