Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks Thread 2008–2009 (part 1)

danzig6767

"I don't think this has anything to do with the Redd haters. I may be wrong, but I'm guessing that none of the Redd haters were really hoping Redd would go down with a serious knee injury. I guess I could be considered a Redd hater, although I think hate is too strong of a word, and I think this sucks. The Redd haters wanted Redd traded, so something would come back to the team. Now he has no trade value at all, and probably won't until the final year of his contract as an expiring."

...now if you read what I actually wrote was that anyone who thinks the Bucks are better off w/o Redd will get to test their theory. Pretty sure I didn't say anyone wanted him to get hurt. If you can find that anywhere it what I originally authored; then I apologize...I'll give you I could have used a different term other then the 'Redd haters'. That would be more appropriate to the MJS board.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"I'll give you I could have used a different term other then the 'Redd haters'. That would be more appropriate to the MJS board. "

I believe the term over there is Anti Redd Aholics

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Gadzuric over Zaza.

That's true. That was a bad move.

I was talking about matching the heat offers for Williams and Bell. Also siging Gatzuric for the obnoxious contract when Harris did.

The Gadz contract was bad. I don't think matching Williams and Bell were bad ideas. Bell's contract was somewhat small. The problem I have with Williams is the return they got back for him. I do like Ridnour, but it seems like we should've gotten more in that deal considering Williams might make the all-start team this year.

...now if you read what I actually wrote was that anyone who thinks the Bucks are better off w/o Redd will get to test their theory. Pretty sure I didn't say anyone wanted him to get hurt. If you can find that anywhere it what I originally authored; then I apologize...I'll give you I could have used a different term other then the 'Redd haters'. That would be more appropriate to the MJS board.
And what I'm saying is that yes, the Redd haters will get to see the team without Redd... but that is insignificant. The Redd haters wanted Redd traded, so something would come back to the team. The Bucks are obviously going to be worse now because they just lost their "best player" for nothing. If Redd was traded, something would have come back to the team... to help improve the team in the future. So I don't see how this has anything, whatsoever to do with the Redd haters.

(I can do this too, it's fun)...now if you read what I actually wrote, I didn't say you said people wanted Redd to get hurt. That was my opinion, whether it was right or wrong... but I'm guessing it was right. It's like saying the people who think the Brewers would be better off without Fielder, and would rather have Dunn playing first. They don't want Fielder to go down with an injury. They are hoping the Brewers can acquire something for Fielder to make the team better.

So my original point was, I don't see how anyone (even Redd haters) can be happy with this situation. Yes, the Redd haters will get to see the Bucks without Redd. But that's insignificant because they still didn't get their way, which was a trade to improve the team in other areas.

I'm guessing that at least one of Villanueva or Sessions will need to be traded because of their RFA status after the season. I think the key to making a deal would be to try to include the contracts of as many of Gadz, Bell, Elson or Allen's contracts to get them off of our cap for next season.

Another option is to trade RJ, but would Hammond really trade him this fast? I don't think it will happen.

I am a Redd hater. However, this is horrible for the Bucks. They lose one of their top assets, and get nothing in return. The team was not going to win a championship with Redd as the max player. However, they could have used him to help turn the team into a championship contender. Not only that, but I hate to see any player go out with a major injury like this.

Agreed on that. Like him or not (and I tend to be a fan of Redd) this isn't good either way. You can't contend if you can't get in. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see how Milwaukee can be one of the top 8 w/o Redd. Only slight positive is the chance to get get a real good look at Sessions.

I think our new starting lineup should be Ridnour, RJ, LRMAM, Villanueva and Bogut. I really love the height and athleticism that this unit would bring. I also hope that Sessions and Alexander start playing a bigger role now that Redd is out.

It's disappointing that the next three games are certainly winnable (MIN, @IND, @TOR), and likely both Redd and Bogut will sit. I know it's been said, but this hurts his trade value, obviously, and all but keeps us out of the postseason. I could swear that the Bucks have been cursed since June 3, 2001. Poor managerial decisions and ridiculously poor luck. Ugh. The 2002 collapse was a 3.5 month train wreck, and was so painful to watch. But I digress...

I was on the playoff bandwagon, and looking forward to some semi-meaningful play down the stretch. Looking forward to an RJ trade in the near future.

Yeah this is a devastating injury either way you look at it. If you're a person who wants to keep the core and sneak in the playoffs it hurts, and of course, it kills Redd's trade value for the life of his contract. When he's finally 100% healthy he might be going into the last year of his deal, so he'd be worth hanging on to at the point.

As others have said, RJ has to go, if we want any shot at keeping Sessions or CV. Give the young guys 25 minutes a game instead of journeymen scrubs like Allen and Elson as well. I could see Alexander having a breakout season next year if that happens.

Yes, this really is a devastating injury as they were playing pretty well and with the number of home games left had an excellent shot of making the playoffs and bringing some fans back. However, now I don't see any way they can make the playoffs and there is going to be plenty of empty seats the rest of the season. As Garry Howard mentioned in his article today in the Journal Sentinal, unless things change fast there is a definite possibility that they won't be here in the not too distant future. If the Sonics can leave the Bucks can certainly leave.

The prospect of the Bucks leaving scares me to death, but remember that the Sonics had/have an owner who desperately wanted to move to OKC. That, and David Stern had his heart set on OKC. I really don't know where the Bucks would move, maybe Las Vegas, but the NBA soured on Vegas after the problems at the All-Star game in 2007. I think it's going to be awhile until this issue becomes pressing.

In the meantime, blow. it. up.

The Seattle Incident was collusion between their previous owner (The Earl of Starbux) and their new owner (Slick Clay) to move the team during its sale. I can't imagine SENATOR Herb Kohl moving our of our most prosperous city's team to....Vegas. I could see Chicago getting a second team, but it would be but a slight move if anything.

As for Redd, this reminds me of the Allan Houston/'Fernee Hardaway incidents. Two TOP players (Penny more than NYC) cut down in their prime and sapped of their powers. And nobody needs a reminder of what those contracts did to those respective (wealthy) franchises.

Don't forget Seattle as a possible destination for the Bucks, if in fact they do move. Stern has said that if they could get their act together and build a new arena, that basketball would be back in Seattle. But Herb has said time and time again that he wants to keep the team in Milwaukee... and only wants to sell the team to someone who vows to keep it there. But Herb isn't getting any younger (I was slightly surprised when I read he was only going to be 74 on Feb 7. I would have guessed him to be 5 or so years older than that).

The second the Sonics left Seattle, I developed a fear of the "Seattle Bucks" becoming reality. The longer Kohl goes without selling the team, the more he'll be pressured to sell it to someone who's not entirely committed to keeping the team in Milwaukee.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

The problem is that Kohl doesn't seem to want to push for a new arena. So he's just sort of hoping one comes about. But thats unlikely to happen. And without a new arena chances are the Bucks are gone. The thing is no one besides Kohl is likely to keep the Bucks in Milwaukee without a new arena. So you eit\her sell it now and hope new ownership gets a new arena, wait it out and hope for a new arena, or in 5-10 years sell the team and watch them go due to no new arena.

I know this could change, but didn't their city government refuse to do anything with Key Arena?
But if an ownership group comes along and agrees to pay for all/most of a new arena, that would change pretty quickly.

I'm just hoping the Bucks don't leave in the same manner as the Sonics. The Sonics were only bad for a couple years, but it must have pained their fans to watch a team with Durant, Green, and a high lottery pick in the 08 draft to leave town. It would be bad enough for me to see the Bucks leave town... but it would be even worse if they finally start to get some talent on the team before they leave... Not that I haven't enjoyed watching players like Tim Thomas, Keith Van Horn, Anthony Mason, Michael Redd, Daniel Santiego, Marcus Fizer, Bobby Simmons, Steve Blake, and Royal Ivey over the past couple years.

But if that group was out there (in Seattle) I'd assume they would have made a play for the Sonics before they moved. Again, just assuming, but in the current economic times I'd venture to guess the likely hood of a new arena being constructed in Milwaukee or anywhere might be a couple of seasons. Just thinking out loud, but I wonder if that actually could work to keep the Bucks in the Bradley Center even longer if an outside group was interested?

That's a good point. I was trying to find out the Bucks lease situation with the Bradley Center, but couldn't find it. I found an article from 2006 that said the Bucks were close to signing a 5 year lease, but I couldn't find a confirmation article. If that's the case, the Bucks would have 2 more seasons in the BC before something needs to be done. And I thought I read somewhere that Stern visited the BC in the beginning of the year, and said it would be a useful building for 5-8 more years... if I remember correctly. So there's a little time, but not much.

I'm pretty sure that Kohl announced he wouldn't run for another term. So, his term expires January 2013?

The prospect of a new arena excites me. I know I'm looking down the road, but Marquette and the Bucks would come close to selling out every game, and the Admirals would likely be included in the picture, too. Definitely would be a fun atmosphere...

Well Kohl's stores around the state depend upon the "hometown grocer" mystique which would be severely tarnished if the old gent or his seeds sold the team to an outsider.
I think you're severely over-estimating how many people in this state care about the Bucks.

Archived