Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks Thread 2008–2009 (part 1)

danzig6767
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The Bucks are getting worse defensively and better offensively since Redd came back and Bogut started missing time. Not sure if that's cause and effect or not.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Redd definitely isn't one to fill up the stat sheet. But he has played the best defense of his career this year. A lot of times RJ's man is the one going off.
Redd plays D when he WANTS to play D. If he goes up against one of the better players in the league, you usually see quite a bit of effort out of him. But he is just not very athletic and has a hard time keeping up with his guy. And that's the main problem with him defensively. They talk about LeBron's improved defense this year, but he is athletic enough to make great strides in that department; Redd just is not. And another thing, Redd's efforts on D are seriously affecting his play. I just don't see how playing him 40 minutes(or a lot of minutes) per game helps the team. I don't have his 4th quarter statistics in front of me but he struggles in the 4th quarter, and I'm guessing this has a lot to do with tired legs. Jon commented in the 3rd quarter last night that Redd could go for 50, or even 60. Then Redd goes out in the 4th quarter and goes 0-3. And it seems like it's that way EVERY game. Just look recently. How often has Redd started out the game on fire... with 15-20 in the first quarter... then he just fizzles out?

And I had to laugh when I looked at the box score last night. 2 games ago he had 1 rebound in 40 minutes. Last game he had 1 rebound in 40 minutes. With all the shots that go up in an NBA game, I think I could get 2 rebounds in 80 minutes of play. I'm sure I could get lucky and have a couple bounce out to me or something!!

Well unless Oden ends up in early foul trouble, we're going to live or die by Redd's (and to a lesser extent, RJ's) jumpshot. And will SOMEONE tell Danny G that he's a 5, and not a 3. The guy thinks he's Villanueva now because he's been hitting perimeter shots in practice. But yeah, we'll win tonight.

Rudy Fernandez edges out Russel Westbrook and Milwaukee's Joe Alexander; will participate in Slam Dunk Contest:

http://www.nba.com/2009/n...lstar.20090119/index.html

It was nice to see the Bucks and JA get some positive run, but the next time the Bucks put together an ad campaign for a slam dunk contest, they should post a few videos of their candidate actually dunking. Alexander is a phenomenal athlete, but unless you're name is Dwight Howard, you actually have to dunk in order to win. Don't get me wrong though, I love watching Charlie V. play table tennis just as much as the next guy ... and that Bango cracks me up.

See for yourself:

Go get 'em tonight, Bucks!

The Bucks are two games ahead of last years pace. Really glad we have $30 million tied up in the wings when the team can't even get to .500. Time to trade RJ and Redd and start this thing over again. We're not going anywhere with those two taking up half the salary cap.

Time to trade RJ and Redd and start this thing over again. We're not going anywhere with those two taking up half the salary cap.

I'm starting to agree. I'd give this team until the end of January and then make a move. I want to see the Bucks be competitive, but I can wait. Finishing 9th in the East would be the worst case scenario.

I agree. I am in full tank mode now. The LAC game was the turning point for me.

Still play Skiles basketball but try to develop the young guys. Unload RJ and Max for anything that doesn't have a bad long term deal. Make Bogut sit until he's 100% healthy. Keep Damon Jones.

I think Redd won't be that hard to trade. There are teams like New Orleans that really need another scorer. I can't think of one team that would take RJ though.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It'd be nice if the Bucks could have Redd and Bogut completely healthy for a decent stretch to see where they really stand. I don't think Redd was completely healed when he came back and just about the time he did recover Bogut started having back issues.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think Redd won't be that hard to trade. There are teams like New Orleans that really need another scorer. I can't think of one team that would take RJ though.
RJ could be traded to the Suns and Lakers come to mind. Odom hasn't been good this year for the Lakers and it is his contract year. I don't see RJ being traded though. Redd is a possibility though and I wouldn't mind seeing Redd being traded to New Orleans. I just don't see who the Bucks could trade for to the Hornets. Peja is the only player that matches up salary wise.

I'm ready for tear down mode, and have been ready for tear down mode for quite a while. I hated the Redd contract when they gave it to him and knew it would come back to bite us in the butt. But I'm hoping Redd continues to play fairly well(in other words, score lots), but the team tanks between now and the trading deadline. I hope some team will look at his ppg of late and give up more than necessary to get him. But I still laugh at his other stats. In the last 5 games, he has played 198 minutes. In the last 5 games, he has a total of 6 rebounds... or 1 rebound every 33 minutes of play!! And in the last 5 games, he has a total of 9 assists... or 1 assist every 22 minutes of play!

In the last 5 games, he has played 198 minutes. In the last 5 games, he has a total of 6 rebounds... or 1 rebound every 33 minutes of play!! And in the last 5 games, he has a total of 9 assists... or 1 assist every 22 minutes of play!
Yeah But Redd has a fallaway triple teamed jumper every 12 minutes so that more than offsets those meaningless stats

Yeah But Redd has a fallaway triple teamed jumper every 12 minutes so that more than offsets those meaningless stats
Please explain to me how rebounds and assists are meaningless? Because if you can, maybe I'm missing the whole point of the game of basketball.

Please explain to me how rebounds and assists are meaningless? Because if you can, maybe I'm missing the whole point of the game of basketball.

Sorry, I guess that wasn't a very good joke

The Bucks just need to take care if they move Redd. That is a lot of offense to replace. I know his game isn't perfect an all that, but w/o him (or a viable replacement) this team will really, really stuggle to score. We saw that at the start of the year.

What about Butler and Chandler for Redd? Chandler has been having an off year, but would more than solidify Skiles' defense, and we could slide him in as our four.

I think Chandler is so limited offensively he couldn't play PF. David West would be the perfect fit next to Bogut, but there is no way in hell they trade him. You have to get lucky and find a guy like that in the draft.

Looking at it I don't see a fit between the Bucks and Hornets. Peja's deal is just as bad as Redd's. I'd consider the one you proposed though. They'd be limited offensively, but they could definitely shut down the paint.

I don't think the Lakers would trade Odom for RJ. I'd love that, but I don't think it's realistic. The Suns really don't need any more swingmen. (Hill, Richardson, and Barnes are all better than Jefferson).

Edit: Nice, my first post from the future.

I don't think the Lakers would trade Odom for RJ. I'd love that, but I don't think it's realistic. The Suns really don't need any more swingmen. (Hill, Richardson, and Barnes are all better than Jefferson).
Odom has been playing really bad this year. Worse than what RJ has been playing. In salary both are a wash but RJ is for a longer period. The Lakers do need a wing player who can free up Kobe from time to time. RJ would be the only player available for the Lakers to trade. Trading Odom for RJ would be a win for the Lakers. Odom really has fallen this year in nearly all of his stats right now he is coming off of the bench. RJ would be an upgrade over Odom this year and I doubt the Lakers would bring Odom back next year so he would be a free agent anyways. This helps the Bucks in salary cap relief for next year and the Bucks would be able to sign Sessions to a longer deal.

Archived