Brewer Fanatic

Offseason / Spring Training Transaction Thread -- Latest: Summary of DL Placements

colbyjack

Again, I'm slow to get to the offseason transactions, many of which occurred the past several weeks and have been talked about elsewhere. I'm not going to post transactions pertaining to the AFL, HWB or Caribbean Leagues, such as Scarpetta replacing Ramlow (oops, I just did!) since we have individual threads dedicated to those leagues.

First, here's the link to the August/September minor league transaction thread, which has links on the first page to take you back to all of the monthly transaction reports:

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?t=14650

According to Baseball America, here is what has gone down so far this offseason (since early September, roster formality transactions involving players currently playing in winter leagues are not included):

Signed: SS Michael Garciaparra, OF Luis Chirinos (Venezuela), RHP Joe Bateman, LHP Rafael Lluberes, LHP Lindsay Gulin, LHP Sam Narron, LHP Chris Narveson

Granted free agency: RHP Derrick Turnbow, LHP Randy Choate, C Eric Munson, OF Laynce Nix

Reinstated from inactive list: RHP Wes Etheridge, 1B Ned Yost

Reinstated from DL: C Brett Whiteside, 3B Edgar Trejo, OF Stephen Chapman, RHP Mark Rogers, RHP Chad Robinson, RHP Travis Navakshonoff, RHP Wily Peralta

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not Brewers related, but 2002 4th overall pick Adam Loewen was released by Baltimore. They're trying to sign him to a minor league deal, though they have more than expected competition for his services. He was converted into an outfielder late in the year after copious elbow problems derailed his pitching career. He was a heck of a hitter in high school and is still relatively young at 24. I'm not sure if the Brewers are interested, but I sure hope they are.

Good call Toby. I know we weren't the only ones that hoped Loewen wouldn't sign with the O's before the '03 draft, although I'm glad the Brewers weren't presented with that option given the elbow problems he has had. He is such a great natural athlete, a la Rick Ankiel, that such a conversion may work long-term. Ankiel's recent success is also probably the reason why so many teams are showing interest, even if that success is more of an exception to the rule.

Loewen is Canadian, if that helps http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Maybe Mark Mulder should start hitting the batting cage as well...

Loewen is Canadian, if that helps http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

It did, apparently, because the Jays got him.

Why is Ned Yost IV reinstated from the inactive list? I thought he was coaching. Is he trying to pull a Gabe Kapler except in A ball? I don't see why the Brewers would want a 26 year old first baseman who can't hit taking up space on their low level teams.

According to the Sounds' site, RHP Nic Ungs is the latest pitcher to re-sign with the Brewers, as the 2009 Nashville staff is starting to look a lot like the 2008 staff.

The Sounds' updated page has now removed the Nic Ungs notation; perhaps they realized it was posted in error. We'll try and follow up with them.

Links point to career statistics for these released players --

The Brewers have released soon-to-be 26-year-old 2006 24th round pick RHP Travis Wendte, who struggled through an injury-interrupted season at high-A Brevard in '08.

RHP Shane Hill, still just 20 years old, was an 8th round pick in '06 out of a Florida high school. He never got out of Maryvale.

OF Scott Houin was signed out of independent ball in 2007.

Catcher Uly Snijders eaned the backup job in West Virginia over Eric Fryer to begin 2008.

Middle infielder Luis Sanchez was signed out of the Dominican Republic in '06, and debuted in '07 in Maryvale. His '07 Maryvale campaign was more successful than his '08.

Venezuelan LHP Luis Ramirez appeard to be on the fast-track, appearing in 23 games (eight starts) at West Virginia in '07. He spent '08 on the team's inactive list.

Baseball America adds RHP Jose Garcia to the released list. The 20-year-old Dominican native made 29 relief appearances for West Virginia after seeing more of a starting role in Helena in '07.

Catcher Carlos Pena, who saw action in 19 games in Maryvale this summer (.171 / .488 OPS), was let go. Pena turned 21 in August, he's from Puerto Rico.

The Baseball America link also includes names of players who the Brewers removed from their inactive list -- players who had not seen action since 2007, or not at all. Ned Yost IV is among them -- no word on whether Yost IV will return in a coaching capacity next season.

Shane Hill is a surprise. He was one of my Josh Baker, Steve Garrison types. That is, a sort of forgotten pick in the top ten rounds that has tons of talent. Usually with his youth and stuff, there's a different reason for the release, as team's don't just give up on power arms.

Per Baseball America:

The Brewers have released 26-year-old RHP E.J. Shanks. The extreme submariner and former Padre farmhand had more success in 2007, his first season with the Brewers after being rescued from independent league ball, than he did in '08.

Also released was 1B / OF Curt Rindal, the 35th round 2007 pick out of the University of Washington. Rindal turned 24 just after his first pro season in '07, and like several other older late-round college draft picks the Brewers make each year to fill the Helena roster, Rindal just didn't show enough in his second season in low-A to justify staying on board for a third season.

Our best to both.

Thanks for the link brewmann04. Although a word of advice to everyone else, don't bother reading the replies to Tom H's blog entry. Yikes.

For those of us that follow prospects on all teams, Bourgeois was once a top-10 type prospect on (take a quick guess) the Texas Rangers. Back then (around 2000-01 IIRC), he was praised for his dynamic all-around offensive skills, drafted as a SS but converted to play 2B due to less than ideal defensive actions at SS. I think he was moved to the OF because he still struggled some at 2B, while also to take advantage of his speed while increasing his versatility.

He's had some success in the upper levels the past few years, and he's not ancient, so he should provide some nice depth. He could even be a darkhorse to claim the 25th spot on the roster next spring.

Bourgeois does have versatility (and speed) though it appears to be the "can't find a position" type rather than "plays a lot of positions well" type. He has put up his best offensive years in the last 2 after scuffling most of his career. Will probably add depth at Nashville at least with some shot at major league time at some point.

Decent pick-up. On a minor league deal, it's a very astute deal. Low risk, high reward. he has 20-25HR power from the left side, so he could be a pretty good pinch-hitter. Also, it would seem that Brad Nelson will be with the big club next year for sure then, or with another organization.

I will never forgive Thorman for that home run against Coco. That said, he should provide decent insurance in AAA as a guy with some big league experience if we need him, though.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Good signing. He was one of the players I identified in the minor league free agent thread as a left-handed slugger that has gotten a little stale at the AAA level for the Braves. He was their #7 prospect just two years ago coming off of a big season at AAA. A change of scenery and a little Canadian love may do him well.

Toby's TBD 1B at AAA Nashville has just been filled.

I noticed that he played a varitey of positions this year including 3rd base, and he has played a lot of outfield in recent years also. I think he could be a very solid bench player, and left handed bat. He had 2 good seasons as a 23 and 24 year old in AA/AAA, but has really struggled since then. He could still be a pretty good player, especially if he can play 3B/OF decently.

Adam McCalvy's report on this signing contains one error:

Thorman also has some experience as an outfielder, as does the Brewers' incumbent Triple-A first baseman, Brad Nelson. Like Thorman was before Monday, Nelson is a six-year Minor League free agent.

Brad is on the Brewers' 40-man roster and is out of options, meaning he has to make the Brewers out of spring training otherwise be traded or waived. But he's not a free agent.

Archived